Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Outlook unable to open attachments after migration to 11.0.1000

Created: 04 Jan 2008 • Updated: 21 May 2010 | 10 comments
VBAL's picture
Using SEP 11.0.780, all machines with Microsoft Outlook 2003/2007 and Symantec Outlook Add-in, works fine.

After migration to 11.0.1000, all machines are unable to open attachments inside the messages.

Anyone have this problem ??

Comments 10 CommentsJump to latest comment

Oivin's picture
I have a customer experiencing this, on Vista / Outlook 2007 and XP / Outlook 2003. Going to get the errormessage and process it through Symantec Support.

You are not alone, but that is only comforting in a disturbing way....

Oivin's picture
Workarounds:

Enable Outook scanning.

Install without the email plugins (set configuration in setAid.ini when using .msi to install). Or uninstall the email plugins if already installed.

Neither are good solutions, I hope Symantec will fix this issue ASAP.

wabe's picture
Any further news on this? I've upgraded my management server and two other servers with SEP 11 MR1 but have not pushed it out to the workstations yet after reading this post. Does this problem occur at any special circumstances or is it general?
dpeeples's picture
We have this problem too.  Initially, the problem was outlook being slow when opening attachments and switching from one email to another.  So I figured that the outlook scanning was the cause of the slow down. I disabled Outlook aut-protect and immediately our group of test users could no longer open attachments.  I've since re-enabled the Outlook auto-protect and they are able to open attachments again, but their is email is still slower than normal.  I hope this is a problem Symantec can address very soon b/c it is keeping me from deploying the software to any more workstations.
DustinR's picture

I can’t seem to get this patch to install remotely via PsExec, a .vbs script, or a .bat file.  I don’t want to even think about visiting 150 PCs to install this patch.  Has anyone successfully installed the patch remotely?  I keep getting msiexec error 1636: “This patch package could not be opened.  Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package.”

However, when I launch the patch locally it works fine.

Any thoughts?

Message Edited by DustinR on 02-15-2008 02:01 PM

Pepperoni's picture
I had this problem on one machine so far.  They had an older version of SAV that wasn't working.  The new install of SEP wasn't working either, plus they couldn't open attachments.  I uninstalled everything and ran an online virus scanner (Trend Micro Housecall).  It found several trojans and spywares.  It cleaned them up so I could install SEP and now he can open attachements.  I still need to wipe that system and start over because you can never really trust a system after it's been compromised.  But atleast he can open attachments for now.

Ongoing pain's picture

Had the same issue and opened a case.  Was told the only way to install short of a local install was via a Group Policy Object.  Tried and failed after having to pour through a Microsoft bulletin on using GPOs to roll out software patches.  I'm a self taught admin and no expert on GPOs, but the GPO wizard asked for a .msi file and this patch is a .msp. 

Asked for an explanation of why the patch, if a viable fix, wasn't being pushed via live update - no answer.  Finally closed the case as 'too hard' and posted the patch on our file server.  Advised my users that if they're experiencing the problem to let me know and I'd install locally.  As an aside, I've installed the patch on a machine running Office XP ( 2002)and it seemed to work initially, but am now having the same problems again. 

Opine's picture
Hello Everyone,

I was stuck in the same boat as you when it came to the attachment fix and attempting to get to all of the users easily and not having to run around.  Please see my post at http://oneopine.com/2008/02/18/symantec-endpoint-protection-1101000-outlook-attachment-fix.aspx on how I was able to get it to work for my environment.  Hopefully it will help you or at least give you an idea on how to make your life easier.

Michael

Message Edited by Opine on 02-18-2008 12:37 PM

Ozu's picture

This is an issue with Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 MR1.

Symantec has created two patch files, one for 32bit operating systems and one for 64bit operating systems, to resolve this issue.

Download Outlook_SEP86_MR1_1378.zip for 32-bit operating systems
Download Outlook_SEP64_MR1_1378.zip for 64-bit operating systems