Client Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Patch Management: how to install KB2387530 ?

Posted Apr 06, 2011 08:00 AM

Hello,

I've started to use Patch Management in CMS 7.0.

I've succesfully deployed the plug-in, downloaded Microsoft patches and stage software bulletins for the "security updates" (i.e. KB2479943 as shown in MS11-015).

My problem is that in "Patch Remediation Center" I don't find some updates (like the one in the question). I've search as "2387530", as "KB-2387530", as "KB2387530", etc. As this update has not a bulletin associated (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2387530/en-us) I don't know how to stage and deploy it.

The same happens for KB976932 (Windows 7 SP1) and some other updates in our environment (KB2454826, KB2467023, etc.).

I've seen that KB973685 (XML Core Services 4.0 SP3) is not in the catalog but KB973688 yes (but is an XP version as explained here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973685/en-us).

Any help would be very appreciated for distributing these kind of updates.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Patch Management: how to install KB2387530 ?

Posted Apr 06, 2011 10:04 AM

Patch, by default, includes support for all security updates that are associated with a Microsoft security bulletin.  Hotfixes that are not associated with a security bulletin are added based on customer demand.  

Software Delivery can be used to deploy a hot fix that is not immediately available in the Patch product.

• 3.  RE: Patch Management: how to install KB2387530 ?

Posted Apr 06, 2011 11:22 AM

Service Packs and non-security updates will be included functionality in a future release, I believe 7.1 SP1 this summer.

• 4.  RE: Patch Management: how to install KB2387530 ?

Posted Apr 07, 2011 11:24 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for the answers.

Yes, I've found that hotfixes and SP aren't in the catalog so I can't deploy them using Patch Management. I've discovered too that version 7.1 will address this (as I know it seems that this version will appear in May 2011).

In the meantime I need to deploy these hotfixes using Software Management. But, if I'm not wrong, I need to have Inventory plugin working to be able to select the computers where this hotfix is not installed.

My problem is that my computers are Windows 7 and the default filter "Windows Computers without Inventory Plug-in" for the deploy task of the inventory plugin doesn't collect this OS. I've upgraded my CMS installation to SP2 MR3 without results.

Here is the SQL code of the filter:

SELECT vc.[Guid] FROM vRM_Computer vc
                    JOIN dbo.Inv_AeX_AC_Identification d
                        ON d._ResourceGuid = vc.Guid
                    WHERE
                    vc.[Guid] NOT IN
                    (
                        SELECT DISTINCT agent.[_ResourceGuid] FROM Inv_AeX_AC_Client_Agent agent
                        WHERE agent.[Agent Class Guid] = '11E36ED4-A571-4304-90AA-F0CD2366C335' and [Product Version] like '7.0.%'
                    )
                    AND
                    (
                        LOWER(d.[OS Name]) LIKE '%windows 2000%'
                        OR LOWER(d.[OS Name]) LIKE '%windows xp%'
                        OR LOWER(d.[OS Name]) LIKE '%server 2003%'
                        OR LOWER(d.[OS Name]) LIKE '%2008%'
                        OR LOWER(d.[OS Name]) LIKE '%vista%'
              OR d.[OS Name] LIKE '%7%'
                    )

AND d.[System Type] IN ('Win32','Win64')
            AND vc.Guid NOT IN
            (SELECT _ResourceGuid FROM Inv_AeX_AC_Client_Agent t1
                              WHERE t1.[Agent Name] = 'Altiris eXpress NS Client'
                              --AND CAST(t1.[Build Number] as INT) < %AltirisAgentBuildVersion%
                    AND t1.[Product Version] < SUBSTRING ('%ClientPkgBuild%',0,LEN ('%ClientPkgBuild%') - CHARINDEX ('.',REVERSE ('%ClientPkgBuild%')) + 1)
            )
                    AND vc.[IsManaged] = 1

Why I'm having this problem? Is not solved in my version?

Thanks.

• 5.  RE: Patch Management: how to install KB2387530 ?

Posted Apr 07, 2011 11:39 AM

If I copy this select (you can see the %7% that must match Windows 7) in SQL Server Management Studio and execute the query I get all the GUIDs of our clients ...

The questions now is why in CMS this filter shows 0 members. I've updated the membership a few times without luck.

If the filter has no members, any task that uses this filter won't work.

Any idea about what to look for?

• 6.  RE: Patch Management: how to install KB2387530 ?

Posted Apr 08, 2011 10:43 AM

I think this is much simpler.  If you create a software resource for the hotfixes and Service Packs, then create a detection rule, then create an applicability rule, then apply it to Windows Workstations, they'll check for the software, then download the resource and install if necessary.

Here's an example for Windows XP Service Pack 3:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO21576