Video Screencast Help

Patching Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008

Created: 03 Mar 2010 • Updated: 06 Sep 2010 | 3 comments

What version(s) of Altiris NS and Patch Management do I need in order to patch Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7? Is there a direct upgrade path from Altiris Notification Server 6.0.6074 and Patch Management solution 6.2.3644?

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

EugeneDisc's picture

Hi WJW...,

NS 7 will support those two OS's, ensure that you have SP2 for CMS and SMS. You can download this from symantec.com.
There is an upgrade path to upgrade NS6 to NS7, you will be able to find it on kb.altiris.com. It uses a nice Migration Wizzard.

I also believe that Windows 7 and Server 2008 will be supported in NS6 as from May this year.

Eugene

mclemson's picture

If you want it now, run SMP7 SP4 with CMS7 SP2/SMS7 SP2.

The platform support matrices may assist you:
https://kb.altiris.com/article.asp?article=46349&p=1

If you can wait, NS6 doesn't support it right now, but should in the second half of 2010 as a service pack to NS6 solutions.

Does this answer your question?

Mike Clemson, Senior Systems Engineer, ASC
Intuitive Technology Group -- Symantec Platinum Partner
intuitivetech.com

dfrancis's picture

We are starting to see more Windows 7 machines in our environment and for the past few months the PMimports have had logic in them to install on both Windows 7 PC's and Server 2008 R2 PC's.  I do not know Altiris' official stance on the support, but we've been able to patch both of these OS's with no problems.  Your mileage may vary.

--Dave

If a forum post solves your problem, please flag it as a solution. If you like an article, blog post or download vote it up.