Video Screencast Help

pcA 12.5 - Thinhost not deploying to Win7

Created: 18 Mar 2011 • Updated: 18 Mar 2011 | 3 comments
MIXIT's picture

Yet another reason why Win7 annoys me :) I am trying to send a thinhost out to a Wion7 system so I can remmote in, join it to a domain, install full pcAnywhere on it via files from the CD, and so on.  Windows Firewall service is disabled and I can ping the system. 

When I use Quick Deploy & Connect, it promtps for user/pw (line 1 = Domain/Username, line 2 = Password) which I proivide and it shows it is sending the thinhost.exe file and installing it (a user on the phone confirms it shows the thinhost.exe box on the PC). 

then, as normal, I am again prompted for user credentials, in the form of Line 1 = Username, Line 2 = Password, Line 3 = Domain.  So I put in the user/pw for the local auth this PC currently uses, and it just sits there, never conneccting,  No status, no errors from pcAnywhere, just nothing. 

I repeat the process, get the same login prompts, same "sendint thinhost.exe" box etc, but nothing.

This being the first Win7 system on this network, I suspect it's Win7 since XP and Vista systems have no problem with this routine. 

So is Win7 the problem or am I missing anything?  Would it matter if it's 32 or 64bit?  Google didn't return much and besides you guys are 10x better than any Google results will ever be.  . 

Thanks!

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

ICHCB's picture

When you built your Thin host what Authentication did you choose?  For your senerio I would suggest pcAnywhere authenticaiton.  

If you have the Full product on your machine then open it up (not by going to the Quick connect icon but the full product)

Then select the Quick Deploy and Connect option under pcAnywher Manager.  (if you don't see this option make sure that you are in advanced view.  Check out the following article.   Follow it and set up pcAnywhere authentication and then you won't have to worry about the Windows 7 machine that may or may not be able to authenticate with the server for pca connection.  

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/using-thin-host-pcanywhere-125-part-6-using-pcanywhere

Because you are able to deploy the thin host and it asks you for authentication after the deployment it would leed me to believe all is good except what ever authentication you are using for authenticateing to pcAnywher isn't working.    Rebuild the package and then deploy it using the full product.

Cheers.

If you find this post helpful please give it a thumbs up!
If you find that this solves your problem please mark it as the solution! 

MIXIT's picture

No luck unfortunately.  No change to the way it behaves also.  I don't recall what my initial TH setup was like since it's been a year or two but when I followed the article just now I ended up with only a slightly different situation - after the TH exe file deployed, I'm prompted for User/Pass but this time there's no domain field as the 3rd line.  This is probably because I picked pcAnywhere authentication and the other one from 2 years ago must have been NT.  Either way it won't accept (apparently anyway) the user/pass I put in but I'm cerrtain I am not having a bad day at the keyboard so it's something else. 

But something confuses me: I thought by pre-entering the credentials during the TH setup, I wouldn't have to enter them during TH deployment, yet I still am prompted twice, once before the file is deployed, and after that, another time I assume for the connection itself.  In situations where I use the thinhost, it's only so that I can get remote access, copy and execute the full CD install via file copy from the server.  So since the server is a domain and the user/pw between it's admin and the local one on the PC are different, perhaps that's why I am prompted prior to TH exe file copy. 

Either way, whether it prompts for user/pw or not, it simply isn't connecting (or maybe it connects but doesn't show on screen on my end which is something I've noted with the thinhost in this regard via other site deployments I have done).  I've always found the thinhost to be quite flaky, often I have to deploy it twice to a PC, beacuse it fails,l for no reason, the first time about 80% of the attempts I make.  Always works on the 2nd deploy.  In this case it's 0% though and the only difference in my process is the fact that it's Win7. 

I suppose I should look in the logs.  Thanks for your article info - I'll re-review it again in case I missed anything and of course welecome any additional suggestions. 

ICHCB's picture

The first time is for deployment.  The second is for authentication.   If the second set were accepted then it would not be asking again but it is asking the second time because they were wrong ( I get that you didn't put them in wrong but they are not being accepted so it is asking again.

Logs will be minimal because thin host isn't logging connection issues that I am aware.  If you can get to the windows event logs it would be good to see what they say but not looking forward to finding any thing useful.

Cheers.

If you find this post helpful please give it a thumbs up!
If you find that this solves your problem please mark it as the solution!