Video Screencast Help

pcAnywhere 10.5 cannot be uninstalled from my machine -- causes severe crash

Created: 25 Jan 2010 • Updated: 26 Jul 2010 | 1 comment
I am trying to replace version 10.5 of pcAnywhere on a Windows XP computer with the 12.5 upgrade, but I can’t do so. No matter if I try to install over the current copy or just try to uninstall the current copy via the control panel, I get a severe system crash. I’m careful to unload the host module first and make sure that I’m not running any other apps, but I always get a system error message caused by the PCAMGT module, after which the system becomes unresponsive. When I try to reboot, I can’t do so, because I get a message at the start of the boot telling me that WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is corrupt. If I restore the file from the backup, I get a message just before the login screen appears telling me that AWGINA.PLL cannot be found in the SYSTEM32 directory, and I can’t restore that, because it’s not in the directory even on a working system (yes, I made system and hidden files visible before I checked). 

I would have been out of luck if I hadn’t made a Ghost image before I began. This version of pcAnywhere cannot be uninstalled in safe mode. Is there anything else – like a manual uninstall – that I can try?

Comments 1 CommentJump to latest comment