Video Screencast Help
Scheduled Maintenance: Symantec Connect is scheduled to be down Saturday, April 19 from 10am to 2pm Pacific Standard Time (GMT: 5pm to 9pm) for server migration and upgrades.
Please accept our apologies in advance for any inconvenience this might cause.

PcAnywhere 12.5

Created: 16 Nov 2011 • Updated: 10 Jan 2012 | 3 comments
lukassc's picture
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi everybody! I need to configure this solution (without altiris), to allow connections from outside my network. I think that the solution is installing PcAnywhere Gateway on a server, but I don't know how it works.

I open the ports in my route (NAT) 5631 and 5632. From outside, a pc install pcanywhere solution. Then what?! How I connect to the PCs on my network from outside?

I think I'm in the right path...

THX!!

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

ICHCB's picture

You can't have pcAnywhere soltuion with out altiris.

Gateway is an old product and is not part of pcAnywhere solution.   If you want to use the gateway it is a great product and you would then set up port forwarding from the out side network to the machine that you have installed pcanywhere gateway on. 

Here is how to install and configure the gateway.
http://symantec.com/connect/articles/readyinstalling-and-configuring-pcanywhere-gateway-part-8-using-pcanywhere

Then you install host on all the machines inside the network that you whant to connet to.  Here is how to install and configure the hosts.
http://symantec.com/connect/articles/installing-and-configureing-pcanywhere-host-part-one-using-pcanywhere

Then from the out side you would connect to the public IP of your location.  The port forwarding would pass this trafic on 5631 to the gateway.    Then the gatway would scan the network for any hosts that answere the broadcast request on port 5632.   Then you on the out side would see a list of all the host available to the gateway.

check out the links and let us know if there are more questions.  

Cheers

PS:  www.portforward.com  is a great resource on how to set up port forwarding on many different modems.

If you find this post helpful please give it a thumbs up!
If you find that this solves your problem please mark it as the solution! 

SOLUTION
lukassc's picture

What do you mean with I can't have PcAnywhere with out altiris? I have a lab that is no need to install altiris.

About the gateway, thx for the information. And what about Access Server? I don't understand the differences.

I need to know if PcAnywhere can perform the next task

1. Centralize logging: Every time that I connect to a host, create a log in a Server on my network. If, for some reason, can't create the log, the connection with the host can't complete. Every time that I connect to one host I need the log to be created.

2.Host Profile: Also in a server on my network, and the host must search this profile everytime that connect with a remote looking for updates.

Thx!!

ICHCB's picture

PcAnywhere solution is dependant on Altiris.   

There are 2 lines of pcAnywhere pcAnywhere solution as provided and integrated with the Notification server,  Or the pcAnywhere box also refered to as the full pcAnywhere product.

1 Either product can have centeral and local logging.   Neither would deny a connection if the centeral server was not available to centeraly log.

2 I don't follow.   How ever the pcAnywhere solution host will check in with the Notification server to see if there are any updates at an intervole that you determine.   If the host can't reach the Notification server then it will retry at the next intervole to see if there are any updates.   There really isn't a feature like this for the box/full product.    There is a tool that is called the host administrator but it isn't exactly what you are looking for I don't think.  

pcAnywhere full/box supports OLE automation so you could program an automation program to check in to a centeral server at a given intervole and have it update the files needed.   You could do this with a login script or a GPO for that matter.

Access server is a parking lot to dock hosts to no matter where they are in the network or the world.

gateway is a tool that can then be connected to and browse the local network segment for waiting hosts.

hope that helps.

If you find this post helpful please give it a thumbs up!
If you find that this solves your problem please mark it as the solution!