Intel,Altiris Group

• 1.  pcAnywhere 12.5 and Microsoft Remote Desktop

Posted Apr 23, 2010 11:14 PM
    Are we able to run both pcAnywhere and RDP concurrently?

Will there be any issues?

• 2.  RE: pcAnywhere 12.5 and Microsoft Remote Desktop

Posted Apr 26, 2010 10:15 AM
    It can be done. I tested 12.5 while connected to a remote system and running an RDP session to another system. My RDP session was sluggish and very slow to respond, but I suppose better hardware may minimize this issue.

Thomas

• 3.  RE: pcAnywhere 12.5 and Microsoft Remote Desktop

Posted Apr 26, 2010 11:10 PM
    Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the reply.

But on some machines, i realise that the pcA Host service has stopped and after a while or when i restart the pcA Host, it prompted me with the following Error "The Host cannot run in a remote terminal services session. Please run the host locally at the server."

You encounter this before?

I am running pcAnywhere 12.5 .539

Please advise.

Thanks,

Chris

• 4.  RE: pcAnywhere 12.5 and Microsoft Remote Desktop

Posted Apr 27, 2010 03:14 PM
    Is the issue only happening on certain OS's? I am not seeing that behavior on my lab systems (XP SP3, 2003 server).

I tested in the following configurations without issue:

• PCA console and RDP running on same box
    • RDP to PCA console to RDP session
    • PCA to remote running an RDP session
    Thomas

• 5.  RE: pcAnywhere 12.5 and Microsoft Remote Desktop

Posted Apr 28, 2010 12:12 AM

How about trying the following:

2 XP machines both with pcAnywhere and RDP enabled

1) Connect from XP "A" to XP "B" using RDP
    2) Once login to "B" goto services, pcA host, restart service, the error above will prompt.
    OR
    3) After RDP from XP "A" to XP "B" for a while, XP "B" will prompt with the same error.

From server seems OK, not sure if its due to single session in XP.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

• 6.  RE: pcAnywhere 12.5 and Microsoft Remote Desktop

Posted Apr 29, 2010 12:42 PM
    At the moment I do not have a second XP system to test with. I will try to get to this early next week and get back to you.

• 7.  RE: pcAnywhere 12.5 and Microsoft Remote Desktop

Posted Apr 29, 2010 11:00 PM
    Thanks thomas.

• 8.  RE: pcAnywhere 12.5 and Microsoft Remote Desktop

Posted May 04, 2010 02:58 PM
    We consistently get this error dialog if the awhost32.exe service is started *after* an RDP session is established. 

Most of the time, the awhost32.exe service is already running when a user starts an RDP session.  However, there are a few times when the RDP session is already established, and the awhost32.exe service is stopped and restarted.  It will fail to start, complaining with the "The Host cannot run in a remote terminal services session. Please run the host locally at the server" error.

Am looking for a way to supress this error since it's not of significant consequence (to us) if the service is not running until a request for support is submitted.  Since first level of support will ask the user to reboot, the service will have started during the boot process, and will be running by the time second level support takes over.

We'd like to suppres the error dialog, however, because of the number of calls it generates to our helpdesk.

I also found this that suggests creating a scheduled task to restart the service when an RDP session is terminated.  http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/on-technology.nsf/293a5302ae81e39288256ebb0049cfe7/293b8a400b09c4cd88257348007d4b89?OpenDocument

• 9.  RE: pcAnywhere 12.5 and Microsoft Remote Desktop

Posted May 05, 2010 03:47 AM
    Thanks Mitch.

But do you think it should happen?

It will be good to be able to suppress the error...

Chris