Video Screencast Help

PCAnywhere 12.5 Virtualization

Created: 11 Apr 2012 | 6 comments

hi, I want to know whether we can squence PCAnywhere application o not?

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

EdT's picture

Sequencing is normally a reference to Microsoft App-V virtual package creation?

If you are asking about whether PCA can be made into an SWV layer, I would say it is unlikely to work as it is service based and services are not currently supported by virtualisation.

If your issue has been solved, please use the "Mark as Solution" link on the most relevant thread.

rajsingh's picture

Does this application is Supported on XP enterprise edition. Because I am getting issue while starting the service on Xp enterprise edition

EdT's picture

Are you starting your service on the same machine that was used for the installation ?

Many remote control programs have custom routines which link in with the specific video card in the test machine amd if you create a package, this will only work on identical hardware.

If you can install the software on your XP machine using the vendor's native installer then it will almost certainly be compatible with your operating system as all modern installers detect and validate the operating system before they will install any software.

If your issue has been solved, please use the "Mark as Solution" link on the most relevant thread.

Jeremy_Hurren's picture

Virtualization can and does virtualize service executables. It cannot virtualize more than one of the same service. So that limitation should not cause a problem with virtualizing pcAnywhere. There may be other issues, though, related to what EdT is talking about with video drivers and such. Perhaps some more explanation about the issue you are getting while starting the service would help.

Jeremy Hurren, Sr. Principal Software Engineer, Symantec

EdT's picture

@Jeremy,

Are you saying that it is now possible to virtualize SQL server express on a workstation?  This appears to meet your definition of having service executables that are not already present on the base system.

Jeremy_Hurren's picture

@EdT,

I know in the past we have had a problem with SQL Server because of some of the security settings the installation makes. (The setup process writes out a certificate, and then lsass.exe which was being ignored tries to read it. Once the two are out of sync, the installation failed.) I don't believe we currently support virtualizing SQL Server, but it's certainly worth testing on 7.5 when it comes out.

Examples of other service software that I know we DO handle correctly include Microsoft Office (has a source engine and a licensing service) and Apache web server.

Jeremy Hurren, Sr. Principal Software Engineer, Symantec