Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

PcAnywhere help desktop on Server 2008

Created: 25 Mar 2011 | 25 comments

Hello,

Trying to connect to PcAnywhere 12.5 to a pc with windows xp on a domain in server 2008. I have created a host with the users name and have the computer set to run pcanywhere on boot on the host pc.

My problem is that I can not connect to the computer. I have M$ vpn setup as a connection in network connections and connect to network fine. After connected to the vpn, I run PCanywhere and wait for computer to show up under quick connect. It does. When I double click on the computer I want to connect to I get the message The computer is not responding the connection can not be made.

I am confused. I also have a dyndns name setup and port forwarded for the local IP of the computer I want to talk to. example...XXXXX.dyndns.org:5555. When I try this (not on the M$ VPN only throught the internet) I get the message could not find the requested host. I can connect to the pc with terminal services to the same xxxxx.dyndns.org:5555 so I know they are talking on that port fine.

Any possible solutions would be appreciated.

Comments 25 CommentsJump to latest comment

ICHCB's picture

Ccan you relaunch the host after the vpn is up.  The host may only be monitoring the active network connections on boot.  Once the vpn launches it is a new or different network interface and may not be monitored until the host is launched while it is active.   

As for the .dyndns.org some versions of pcA had an issue with remotes seeing hosts that were more than 24 characters.  .dyndns.org is 11 so confirm that your xxxx is less than 12 characters so that you are under the 24 character limit.

cheers.

If you find this post helpful please give it a thumbs up!
If you find that this solves your problem please mark it as the solution! 

ICHCB's picture

including the period and the dashes?  Just checking because some times people don't count those and they do count.  

Can you telnet to the DynIP name?  If you can't telnet to that then it would be a routing problem if you can telnet but not pcA then I would say count the characters again it is most likely a limitation on the length of the name.

cheers.

ICHCB's picture

Here is a post from another thread that screebert posted with the steps to test with telnet.

Check and see if ports 5631 and 5632 are open over the VPN connection.

One way to test is by using telnet.

Click Start, and then click Run.
Type telnet and click OK.
For example: telnet pca.mydomain.com 5631

• If you see a blank screen with a flashing cursor, which may or may not populate with data over a period of time, you are attached to a TCP port.
  • If you see "Connection timed out", "Connection reset by host", "Could not open connection", or "Connection failed", either there is some sort of packet filtering between the two computers or the service is not currently waiting on the specified port.

If the ports are closed, you can change to an open and unused port or open the ports.

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH107919

leon phelps's picture

when I typed in telnet in the start box, I got a DOS style box.

When I typed in mydomain.dyndns.org 5631 I got invalid command

I also tried to telnet the IP while in the vpn xxx.xxx.x.xxx 5631

got invalid command again

leon phelps's picture

when I typed in CMD, I could telnet into both the mydomain.dyndns.org 5631

and with xxx.xxx.x.xxx 5631

and YES the IP number is counting the .'s

ICHCB's picture

I believe that you are good with your port forwarding then.  looks like a name length issue.  I would try shortening the name if you can.

Cheers.

leon phelps's picture

can not shorten the name. have VPN and other things to consider all over the place.

leon phelps's picture

added a shorter name somewhere else on the network. Down to 19 including the ports.

still can not find the hosts from through the dyndns name.

I can telnet into the newer name xxx.xxx.xxx:ports

leon phelps's picture

starting to think the 12.5.0 build 462 (SP2) has something built into it that will not let you use it on a server 2008 domain without the 5 seat license.

the dialin box says looking for users then kicks you out. thinking a registry key is changed.

ICHCB's picture

I thought you were not able to connect?    If you are prompted to put in a user name and password then you are connected to pcA.   You may not beable to authenticate but you are makeing a connection to the pcA program.    That is good news.

As far as pcA is concerned it doen't count licenses in the full product but does from the pcA solution. 

For a test can you change to using pcAnywhere authentication.  On the host change the caller authentication to pcAnywhere and create a user.   Then connect again using this new pcA user and password.     This would help confirm the issue is authentication not routing of pcA traffic.     

I think that we are at a different point now than we were when you first posted the "The computer is not responding the connection can not be made."  errors.  

If pcAnywhere authentication is good then you may be on to some thing with a 2008 domain.   if you are using AD, NT or windows authentication then are you using a local account or a Domain account?  if a domain account where is the host compared to the domain.    when you at the remote put in your user and password it is sent to the host and then the host takes those and hands them off to a Microsoft API to validate them.   If the host isn't on the domain at that moment it woun't be able to reach the DC and then will fail to autenticate.

Maybe you could recap how you have the host set up and the steps that you take from the remote. (like putting in user password and domain if you are prompted )

cheers.

leon phelps's picture

the dialin box looks for 1/5 of a second then kicks you out. never prompted for the username password or domain so I have not been connected. I can connect inside the network with the internal IP address of the machine.

As for how the host is set up. Router has a virtual server set up for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port yyyy

I have added three users to the host connection. domain/admin, domain/user, and user (this pc).

TC/IP checked under connection info

settings, start with windows and run minimized

authentication type, NT

security options  3 attempts per call, limit time to complete 3 minutes

no encryption

no conference, no comments, no protection

same on remotes side

ICHCB's picture

Ya I got nothing,  You have proven the pcA is working by testing internally.   The issue then is with routing, ports, fire wall, some thing along those lines.    If you can't connect via IP or Via Name then it isn't with dyn dns or name length from the external remote.    Can the external remote connect to any hosts?  If it can connect to any remotes then then we can assume that the remote is working.   If we assume that the remote is working,  and you have tested the host so we know it is also working then the only other issue is environmental.    

Based on your testing with telnet from the remote to the host the port is open but maybe I didn't understand your results.   If it is open and working I guess you would need to capture that pca dialog that happens for 1/5th of a second to try to know what to do next.     Do you have all pcAnywhere logging enabled?  If so you could look at the pcAnywhere logs on both ends and see did the host recieve a call from the remote and did the remote reach the host.    pcA logging is very rudamentry but it is better than nothing.   

Let us know if there are any new develoments.

cheers.

leon phelps's picture

can not connect to any host.

I have enabled logging from both the host and the remote, but can not find where the file would be to read it.

ICHCB's picture

You can open the pl9 file with the Activity log processing tool located in the pcAnywhere tool inside of the pcA full program (not quick connect).   The pl9 is saved in the doc and settings\ all users\application data\symantec\pcAnywhere folder in xp in vista and 7 it is in the program data folder under symantec\pcA.  

Cheers.

leon phelps's picture

This is odd. Now I get a PCanywhere Waiting dialog box with TC/IP hosts then waiting for selection and nothing inside the box to select.

As for the location of the data log, I do not have those folders in xp. I have the symantec folder, but no pcanywhere folder.

ICHCB's picture

I don't understand the waiting for selection but this is the default path in xp.  I have win 7 on the machine in front of me now so I had to look it up.   If logging isn't enabled then you won't have a pl9 file.    

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\pcAnywhere

Make sure that from with in pcA,  Edit>preferences  then navigate to the event logging tab.   Make sure that enable pcAnywhere log generation is checked and for troubleshooting open the "Select Events"  and check all events.   You won't want all for long term most are useless but for now just check them all.

Here is my waiting host (win 7) is this the screen you have but with different information?

Cheers.

leon phelps's picture

Here is my pl9 file from the remote.

<20110412 1634>  <13>  <Remote Started>  <03>  <TCP/IP>  <06>  <Pete.outside>  <18>  <0000-0F65-0000-0000-0000-0000>
 <20110412 1634>  <15>  <Remote End Session>  <03>  <TCP/IP>

This is the screen I get for eternity.

ICHCB's picture

right click on the remote that you are launching and navigate to the settings tab, then under the network host PC to controll or IP address put in the dyn dns name that you are using.

Right now the remote isn't configured to connet to any thing specific and so it is browsing your local network for any available hosts.   Right now your local network doesn't have any hosts,  pcAnywhere only checks the local network when no host is specified.   

leon phelps's picture

when I do that, the correct dyndns:port address comes up for the pc. 

xxx.dyndns.org:yyyy

is the format for the IP address to control.

pete.outside is the name I have given the connection. I think this has you confused.

ICHCB's picture

I don't understand the port if you are using or trying to use non standard ports a port other than port 5631 then you need to change the remote to be the correct port in the data port section.

xxx.dyndns.org:yyyy this isn't an acceptable name or ip for the name or ip field that I am aware of.   You would use "xxx.dyndns.org"  for the name or ip and then you would alter the port in the connection info screen.  Under the details button you will find the data port and status port options.

leon phelps's picture

if I have more than one host on the same network, do I not have to change the ports to different than the standard ports if I want to access them from outside the network?

with quick connect, I would put those ports on the end all of the time and it worked fine.

I set up another remote after you mentioned that. I pinged the dyndns address in  DOS. I then set the new remote up with the IP address and not the dyndns address. I also went and put in the ports. in the port settings.

need to make a new host to be sure and will get back to you.

ICHCB's picture

Correct that each host behind the router would need it's own set of ports.   You would then set each host to be set up for the custom ports and then you would configure a new remote item for each host noting that host's custom ports in the ports tab.  (can't answer about the quick connect I have avoided it for the most part) 

Each host has it's own custom port configured in the host setings.

Each remote item is configured also to match the host's custom ports,

The firewall/router will need to have a unique rule set for each host directing the proper ports to the correct internal IP.

Hope we are on the same page  :)

cheers,

leon phelps's picture

yes we are. the adding ports after the dyndns entry worked on other uses of pca that I used.

new result is that I hang on waiting for connection with the new host.