Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  PC's very slow NAV 10.1.4.4000.

Posted Feb 01, 2008 09:28 AM

Hello,

I have just started a new job and noticed that the PC's here at the site are very slow.. These PC's are DELL GX270's 2.2G with 256 M - Running XP SP2 on Novell 6. I have done some comparisions on the PC's with tweaking the installed apps (NW client / startup items etc). In the end, I have noticed one thing. When I disable the NAV 10.1.4.4000 Corporate edition AV, the PC's boot and operate much better. Here are the times that I have clocked so far on these PC's.

Here is a little insight in how we are setup, NAV clients are managed under Novell servers, Network scanning disabled, and is setup to scan e-mail services etc. For the test, we are using the same hardware, same network switch and user account. Plus we have disabled the inventory scan at PC startup.

With NAV installed and services turned on:

*Cold boot to NDS login screen: 55 - 57 seconds.
        *Login to network with Windows loaded up & working with Word 2003: 3minutes 50 + seconds.
        *Accessing network drive 8-9 seconds.

With NAV installed and servies turned off:

* Cold boot to NDS login screen: 51 - 53 seconds.
         *Login to network and have Windows loaded up & working with Word 2003: 1 minute 20 + seconds.
         *Accessing network drive 1-3 seconds.

I know that this is not right, because at my last job, we had a similar setup and things ran much beter. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look / tweak NAV so that it performs better?

TX. to all.

Toby

• 2.  RE: PC's very slow NAV 10.1.4.4000.

Posted Mar 07, 2008 01:49 PM
    We experience similar speed problems.  Symantec Client Security 3.1, Maintenance Release 7 (MR7).  Novell NetWare 6.5 SP6 antivirus server.  Windows XP Pro workstations with at least SP2.  Some workstations have had all current windows updates to date - 3-7-08.  Microsoft File and Printer Sharing disabled.  We disable MANY services that are not needed or used in our environment.  NetWare Client 4.91 with patches and 4.92.  Power saving features like standby and hibernation are not used.

The boot time is a killer.  3.0 to 3.5 on our Celeron 2.2 GHZ machines, 256MB and 512MB DDR PC2700 systems.  IDE drives using DMA 5 (UDMA 100 ?).  These times are after performing any 'tuning'.

Faster CPUs with faster memory yeild a faster boot time.

I have even used Microsoft BOOTVIS to try and improve boot times.  Also use MSCONFIG to remove items from the Startup.  Also use full disk defrag.  Removing items from the startup yeilded little to no measurable improvement.  Full disk defrag yeiled the most improvement.  Using BOOTVIS to Optimize Boot time yeilds some improvement.

Symantec support suggests turning off features we need to have on in our industry.  Our industry is community banking.

Setting the Client Firewall to Manual start povides a 1 to 1.5 minute shortening of the boot time.  But we need it on.

The machines boot VERY quickly with the Symantec Client Security not installed.

Setting the system to NO Virtual Memory or swap file showed no difference.  This matahes what the Symantec tech. told me:  the product does not use virtual memory.  He also had the gall to comment about the 512MB RAM machines being ' . . . on the low end.'  He did say the product uses about 128MB RAM for it's own use.

Well, using Windows Task Manager, Processes tab, additional columns, shows me what the memory foot-print is of the running software after logon.  and without running our applications and no virtual memory, we were only using about 380MB for the processes shown.

When I perform a BOOTVIS Trace with Driver Delay, it shows a graph of resouce usage.  There is a section at about 1 minute to 1.75 minutes that shows the 'Logon+Serv' processes and no disk or other activity.  Other sections of the boot process show the CPU pegged at 100% for a small portion of the time.

The Symantec software has just grown to something very large and 'costly' in its' use of system resources.

We are trying  to tune the machines and software settings and perhaps use Standby or Hibernation modes to provide a faster 'startup' for the hourly personnel to clock in with.

I suspect we are going to have to bite the bullet and purchase new equipment.  These machines in question are about 3 to 4 years old now.  We like to get as much value out of equipment as possible and dislike spending money.  We are still using old Compaq DeskPro EN and EP machines with 500MHZ to 800MHZ processors with Win XP for some lite-weight functions.

I don't recommend moving to the EndPointSecurity product.  Problems mentioned include speed and inability to run some applications.  See: https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board?board.id=endpointcust

I'll try to post any resolutions or work arounds here - If we find any.  Please do the same.