Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Pelco DX8100 DVR Client

• 1.  Pelco DX8100 DVR Client

Posted Apr 23, 2009 10:50 AM
    Hi,

I have an issue with Symantec Endpoint Protection and Pelco DX8100 DVR (Security Camera) Client running on a Compaq nc6120 notebook. Whenever Symantec Endpoint Protection is running on the notebook, the Pelco DX8100 DVR Client will not launch.

If I use Autoruns to disable all the Symantec Endpoint Protection logon items and services and reboot then the DX8100 client will launch.

If I enable the Endpoint logon items and services again and reboot then the DX8100 client will still launch for the first or second boot. But after a few reboots, it will stop launching again.

To further complicate matters, the DX8100 client has no problem running on three other computers that have Endpoint running on them. Although, the other computers are different models than the Compaq nc6120.

I looked at the logs available through the Endpoint client. But I did not see any suspicious entries.

Is there some way to make an exception in Endpoint for the DX8100 client so it will run on the notebook? Or, failing that, is there some way to see precisely what is going on so I have some leverage to get a patch either from Pelco or Symantec?

Thanks,
    Mike

• 2.  RE: Pelco DX8100 DVR Client

Posted Apr 23, 2009 11:54 AM
    What version of SEP? Make sure you are using MR4 MP1a available from your connect account.

Is this a managed client or unmanaged client? Are their any Application and Device Control policies setup? There are none enabled by default, but your org may have some turned on. Is Tamper Protection turned on?

• 3.  RE: Pelco DX8100 DVR Client

Posted Apr 23, 2009 05:10 PM
    I will check with the Symantec admin and get back to you.

• 4.  RE: Pelco DX8100 DVR Client

Posted Apr 23, 2009 05:15 PM
    Version = 11.0.4000.2295
    Tamper Protection = on

I tried turning tamper protection off. But it did not solve the problem.

I am still checking on the other information.

• 5.  RE: Pelco DX8100 DVR Client

Posted Apr 23, 2009 06:19 PM

This is the message I got back from my admin: "This is a managed client. Looks like we are running MR4. Not sure if it is MP1a. We may want to uninstall End Point using Symantec cleanwipe and then load SAV 10." I'm going to try using SAV 10 to see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks for your help.

• 6.  RE: Pelco DX8100 DVR Client

Posted Apr 23, 2009 06:27 PM
    Hi Michael, FYI

Maintenance Release 4 Maintenance Pack 1a (MR4 MP1a)
    Symantec Endpoint Protection MR4 MP1a provides a fix for a specific problem that occurred in MR4 (11.0.4). This maintenance pack cannot be installed over any versions of Symantec Endpoint Protection or Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager prior to MR4. It must be installed over MR4 or MR4 MP1.

Components updated in this release
    Component Version
    Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.4014

• 7.  RE: Pelco DX8100 DVR Client

Posted Apr 23, 2009 06:31 PM
    Thanks! I will let him know.

• 8.  RE: Pelco DX8100 DVR Client

Posted May 04, 2009 10:59 AM
    I uninstalled Endpoint without using Cleanwipe. And I installed SAV 10. But the DX8100 client did not work at all after that. It did not work even after disabling all startup items and services using AutoRuns.

So I gave up, got a new hard drive, installed a clean image on that, and installed the DX8100 client on that new build. And it worked.

One mistake I made while installing the DX8100 client the first time was installing the optional encryption component. And there was no way to cleanly uninstall that component. I did not select that component during the second install. And the DX8100 client works fine even with Endpoint running.

I really wish I had a better solution than wiping everything out and starting from scratch. Maybe I will make an MSI of the DX8100 client since it is so unclean and temperamental.

• 9.  RE: Pelco DX8100 DVR Client

Posted May 04, 2009 01:02 PM
    Michael,

Is Microsoft Office Groove 2007 installed on this client?

I find that when this application is installed, the Pelco client will not start at all, nor will it give errors. When Groove is uninstalled, Pelco client works perfectly.

Hope this helps,

Aaron

• 10.  RE: Pelco DX8100 DVR Client

Posted May 04, 2009 02:46 PM
    Microsoft Office Groove 2007 is not installed on the computer. Thanks for the suggestion Aaron.

Mike

• 11.  RE: Pelco DX8100 DVR Client

Posted May 04, 2009 10:28 PM
    Hi Michael looks like it's the solution for you, but may I ask, what is the device type on the Device Manager?

• 12.  RE: Pelco DX8100 DVR Client

Posted May 05, 2009 10:00 AM
    I don't understand. What do you mean by device type?