Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Migration User

Migration UserJun 15, 2010 03:27 PM

Migration User

Migration UserJun 24, 2010 08:05 AM

• 1.  Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Posted Jun 11, 2010 10:06 AM

I am running Windows 2008 R2 Trial (setting up phase) and have my settings to run a full scan overnight,.

The power is always on, however the user is logged off. When I went to view the stats today, I seen that the last scan was NEVER.

• 2.  RE: Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Posted Jun 11, 2010 10:43 AM

The scan should run as long as the computer is not in sleep mode, and the option to run scheduled scans while the users are logged off under "Administrator Defined Scans" in the "Advanced Tab" is selected in the AV/AS policy, scheduled scans will run.

See if that option is enabled or not.

If yes , then  please change the Scan schedule and see if that helps.

• 3.  RE: Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Posted Jun 13, 2010 09:48 AM

Sleep mode is not enabled (set to "never") so that is the issue.

"Perform this can even when no users are logged on" is checked under "scan schedule".

This is running as an UNMANAGED CLIENT since it is a stand-alone testing server however, it still has access to the internet so I may access it remotely from different locations.

• 4.  RE: Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Posted Jun 13, 2010 09:56 AM
    Where have you configured the scheduled scan?
    If the client is an Unmanaged Client, it will not follow the administrator defined policies in the management console.

Make it a managed client and check it again

• 5.  RE: Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Posted Jun 14, 2010 02:07 AM
    Edit the scan schedule go to scan schedule tab and assure that you are selected the option "perform this scan even no user are logged on"............

• 6.  RE: Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Posted Jun 14, 2010 04:27 AM
    Farzad - I do not wish to make it a managed client at this time.

AravindKM - I can assure you thast the option "perform this scan even when no users are logged on" is checked. If that was the solutuion to my problem, I would have not made a thread about it.

• 7.  RE: Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Posted Jun 14, 2010 04:38 AM
    How you are scheduled the scanning?After logged as admin..If no try that.Also remember if you login as a user for checking the scan history it may not be available to you....

• 8.  RE: Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Posted Jun 14, 2010 05:14 AM
    I have the scan scheduled to run automatically overnight (2:00 am).

The logs shows last scan as NEVER and everything was installed and configured in the Administrator account - the only account I log in with.

• 9.  RE: Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Posted Jun 14, 2010 05:17 AM
    Just or testing can you reboot the server once and see...
    Also right click on the scan schedule and try by clicking on scan now.....

• 10.  RE: Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Posted Jun 14, 2010 05:26 AM
    MotorMuis,

Please exactly describe how and where you create the schedule.
    Please mention where you start from, it is very important.

• 11.  RE: Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Posted Jun 14, 2010 06:30 AM

I have reboot the server numerious times since installing SEP, so it requiring a reboot is not an issue. The scan will work if I manually start it.

Here are the steps I take to create a schedule.

1) Log into Windows Server 2008 R2 with "Administrator"
    2) Open Endpoint Security by double clicking the icon in the taskbar (next to clock on right side)
    3) Click "Scan For Threats" (leftside menu)
    4) Click "Create A New Scan"
    5) Click "Full Scan" --> Next
    6) Configure "Actions" / "Notifications" / "Advanced" --> Next
    7) Click "At Specific Times" (very first one on top) --> Next
    8) Checked "Enabled" / "Daily" / "2:00 am"
    9) Checked "Perform this scan even when no users are logged on" <-- very important
    10) Checked "Scan Until Finished"
    11) Gave it a name and clicked "Finished"

Now even though this is a test server, it should work like any fully functional server or workstation. The reason for it being a test server is to install & evaluate roles, services, applications, etc. before implimenting them onto the main server. This saves me a lot of grief from everybody saying "I can't get my ____ " surprise

• 12.  RE: Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Posted Jun 14, 2010 06:38 AM
    In the properties of symatec services provide the credentials as administrator and its passwords and see whether it is making any difference...
    Also tell us what is the version you are using?

• 13.  RE: Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Posted Jun 14, 2010 07:40 AM

I do not have to provide username / password to access SEP.

Version is 11.06 just like it says in the topic.

• 14.  RE: Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Posted Jun 14, 2010 07:47 AM
    What I mean is right click on each symantec service click on propertied go to log on tab select log on as this account ,here you have to provide administrator user credentials.This is just for testing......  

• 15.  RE: Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Posted Jun 14, 2010 09:21 AM
    I set all the Symantec services to what you have suggested and now I no longer have access to the server remotely. I will now have to physically go to the server and change it all back.

• 16.  RE: Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Posted Jun 14, 2010 09:53 AM

• 17.  RE: Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Posted Jun 15, 2010 06:43 AM
    Disabled hibernation ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730 )
    Set up new full scan to run at 12:15pm
    logged off computer remotely

Still not working.

• 18.  RE: Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Posted Jun 15, 2010 10:13 AM
    n power options use High performance.Also increase the timeout settings ..
    Refer this doc

Power Policy Configuration and Deployment in Windows

• 19.  RE: Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Posted Jun 15, 2010 03:27 PM

Techinal Support where are you?

• 20.  RE: Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Posted Jun 15, 2010 03:37 PM
    when you manually click on scan now;does it run or throw an error?
    do you log off from the box after scheduling the scan or lock the server?

• 21.  RE: Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Posted Jun 15, 2010 03:41 PM

Are you doing this over an RDP session? Check this thread out - https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/set-scan-option-fails

• 22.  RE: Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Posted Jun 16, 2010 03:43 AM
    Rafeeq: Right click --> Scan Now = Runs scheduled can with no error. From Remote Desktop, there is only the option to "Log Off".

Cycletech: that thread makes absolutely no sense in regards to my issues of the scheduled scan not running when it is suppose to.

• 23.  RE: Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Posted Jun 16, 2010 06:34 AM
    Can you try by creating a scheduled task.You can use doscan.exe for scanning purpose which is present in C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection .You may use the switches.

• 24.  RE: Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Posted Jun 16, 2010 09:12 AM
    What I can confirm is that this does work for me, so I don't think its a simple SEP product issue.

I have installed Win2008R2 and SEP 11.0.6a x64 edition (unmanaged).

I created a scan exactly as you have created yours.  I set it to run at 2PM then logged off.

I noted that at 2PM, disk activity started, I logged in at 2:05PM and noticed that the scan was running, upon checking the logs I note that the scan started at 2:00:01 PM.

As others have said, how are you connecting to the server to create the scan?  If you are using RDP, is it possible you aren't on the console session?  This can cause issues as you don't get the proper registry loaded into memory and some changes can be lost when you logoff.

For reference, I created my scan while logged on to the server locally.

• 25.  RE: Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

• 26.  RE: Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Posted Jun 23, 2010 02:44 PM
    Paul, didn't work.

I created a new scan locally to start in the next 15 minute time block, logged off, sat around for an hour, logged on and seen that the scan did not work.

• 27.  RE: Perform this can even when no users are logged on - Not Working w/ 11.0.6

Posted Jun 24, 2010 08:05 AM
    Are you getting any errors in event viewer ?