Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

PGP 10.1.2 cannot decrypt attachement received.

Created: 17 May 2011 | 12 comments

I just purchased PGP Desktop Email as we use it for exchanging confidential information with business partners.

I have PGP version 8 running on my old PC but after upgrading to a new PC running Windos 7, 64 Bit, I had also to upgrade the PGP version.

I am recieving attachments from business partners - e.g. named Attachment1.pgp. Such attacment I can decrypt using my old PC with version 8 but not on my new PC running version 10. If there is no fix for this issue I will need to request a refund as this use was the only purpose of the purchase.

Comments 12 CommentsJump to latest comment

cmaegaard's picture

I should add that the message I get when trying to decrypt using PGP 10.1.2 is:

PGP Viewer was unable to open "Attachment1.pgp"

Error: Not a mail message

ShannaL's picture

This is my first day using PGP Desktop.  Our client used my public key to encrypt a text file.  I pulled it from their FTP site, and when trying to decrypt I get the same error message.

Error: Not a mail message.

Tom Mc's picture

It may help to ask the sender to make sure that PGP/MIME (instead of PGP Partitioned) mode is being used for the encryption.

When you consider your issue resolved, please click Mark As Solution on the most helpful response.

Search the Knowledge Base &

LPorres's picture

I have verified that the sender is using PGP/MIME instead of PGP Partioned mode and I am still experiencing the issue.  Even if I detach the file and try to opening outside of the mail message, I still received the same error.

Tom Mc's picture

I'd suggest saving the file to disk, and trying both these methods for the decryption:

1) Right clicking on the file and selecting PGP Desktop - Decrypt & Verify

2) Opening the PGP Desktop application, opening the PGP Zip module on the left hand side, click on Open a PGP Zip, navigating to the file, and hitting Open.

When you consider your issue resolved, please click Mark As Solution on the most helpful response.

Tom Mc's picture

Technical Support has identified this as a bug.  Currently, there is a work around of saving the attachment to your disk, renaming it to anything else, but leaving the .pgp extension.  It should then be able to be decrypted the same as any other PGP encrypted file.

TechChick's picture

We have used the suggested bug fix and it worked for us.  I am interested in knowing when the permanent fix will be ready.  The bug fix was posted in June and it is now November.enlightened

Tom Mc's picture

Although I can't find documentation as to when it was fixed, on this computer with PGP 10.2 installed, I can encrypt a file, change the extension from pgp to gpg, and then decrypt it by double clicking the file.  On another computer here, with PGP 10.0.2 installed, this will not work.  So, it appears to be fixed as of version 10.2.

connector's picture

People are still receiving "not a mail message" for files encrypted with GPG.  Usually, manually chaning the file extension corrects the issue.  However, I now have to recommend GPG4win to most of my clients so they have a product that works by default instead of needing to be constantly mucked with. 

Tom Mc's picture

I don't recall hearing about when this will be fixed.  My quess would be that it is likely for the next release, which sounds like it will not be far away.

rakesh_ibm's picture

I am using lenovo T400 TP.My whole disk encrypted with PGP WDE version 10.1.2.My laptop felt down after that everything hanged .Then I shut down and restart after that I got blue screen.I think some segment of hard disk crashed.I used PGP Recovery Disk and one screen came with "Press any key to continue". I pressed enter button after that I pressed 'D' to decrypt hard disk.I got screen Decrypting boot disk,please wait.From last 20 hrs its showing 100% remains encrypted:please wait for completion.

I have very important data on my laptop and I don't have data back-up.

Please help me on this and thanks in advance. 

Tom Mc's picture

Just for future reference, I would recommend using the Create Content button to start such a new topic - it will make your concern more visable and more likely to receive the attention it deserves.

Don't worry about that showing of 100% remaining.  It happened to me for my last use of the WDE recovery CD, and it did finally show as completed, with the disk functioning as it should.  Be aware that once you start the CD decyption that you must not stop it before it completes - it will give a message about being complete when it is finished.  The CD processing is only 16 bit and quite slow.  On this rather high end machine, it took five days to decrypt my 700 GB disk.