File Share Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  PGP 10.1.2 for winPE

Posted May 28, 2012 07:53 PM

Hi all,

How do I get an image of windows PE 2.0 with PGP 10.1.2 drivers?

So far I've been following the instructions provided in this tech note from this article and because the article provides files for PGP 10.1.2 I think that I should be able to resolve my question.

However the instructions are written assuming the user has PGP 10.0.0 installed. One of the .dll and .sys files it refers to are missing from PGP 10.0.1 and many are missing from PGP 10.1.2. Details:

The article requests that you compile a folder containing the following files:

C:\Program Files\PGP Corporation\PGP Desktop\pgpbootb.bin 
    C:\Program Files\PGP Corporation\PGP Desktop\pgpbootg.bin
    %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\PGPsdk.dll
    %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\pgpsdknl.dll
    %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\PGPwd.dll
    %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\PGPcl.dll
    %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\PGPiconv.dll
    %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\PGPsdkUI.dll
    %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\PGPwdesdk.dll
    %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\SHFOLDER.dll  
    C:\Program Files\PGP Corporation\PGP Desktop\PGPwde.exe <-Note: You must obtain this driver from a Windows 32-bit system.
    %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\drivers\PGPwded.sys
    %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\drivers\PGPsdk.sys

C:\Program Files\PGP Corporation\PGP Desktop\Stage1

PGPPE.exe (located in the zip file at http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH149060
    PGPStart.exe (located in the zip file at http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH149060

The PGP 10.0.1 install on the XP machine is missing the PGPwdesdk.dll file; but despite that, the pgpwde.exe tool on the winPE image works fine. I can access the encrypted drive on the XP machine or the 7 machine using the command 'pgpwde –auth –disk ? –passphrase “Password” '

The PGP 10.1.2 install on the 7 machine is missing the files: pgpsdknl.dll, pgpcl.dll, pgpiconv.dll, pgpsdkui.dll, and wdesdk.dll. In thier stead I used the files from the 10.0.1 install. This winPE image doesn't boot, and gives the error message that the drivers for pgpwde.exe are corrupt.

I don't want to use the winPE image built from the 10.0.1 version of PGP on the 10.1.2 version for risk of doing something horrible to the encrypted data on the hd. I think the drivers should match the version.

• 2.  RE: PGP 10.1.2 for winPE

Posted May 29, 2012 09:54 AM

Have you check under c:\windows\system32

For 64x ...What about C:\Program Files (x86)\PGP Corporation\PGP Desktop?

For example , pgpsdknl.dll is also in PGP PE files.

Otherwise, open a support case and we can provide final 10.1.2 PE image compiled.

https://mysupport.symantec.com/login.html

• 3.  RE: PGP 10.1.2 for winPE

Posted May 31, 2012 06:08 PM
      |   view attached

You're right, I was just not looking hard enough. I found the drivers under %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64.

There's still an issue though. Using the newer drivers from the 10.1.2 Windows 7 x64 version, and the 10.1.2 pgppe.exe tool I created a WinPE 2.0 boot disk. The disk still does not work. The error I get is:

"

File: \Windows\System32\Drivers\PGPwded.sys

Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or corrupt.

"

The .dll and .sys files I'm using are attached

Attachment(s)

7z
    wdk.10.1.2.7z   3.18 MB 1 version

• 4.  RE: PGP 10.1.2 for winPE

Posted Jun 01, 2012 09:35 AM

I would like to report some faulty (typo errors) in the following WinPE Guide for PGP Desktop 10.2.1 , perhaps one of the support engineers could report to the KB team to fix those typos :

HOWTO64225   How to Customize Windows PE 2.0+ using PGP Desktop 10.2+

Those files are mentioned to include from system32 and pgp folder.

2 typos!  in tresaltys post the file is named properly :

%programfiles%\PGP Corporation\PGP Desktop

·          pgpbootg.?bin /////// "?" can be deleted...

c:\windows\system32

·          pgpinconv.dll  ///////// "n" should be deleted ;-) pgpiconv.dll

Im testing with Windows Vista SP2 and Windows AIK English ISO , in 10.2.1 PGP PE they mention that only the AIK english is supported. My base Vista_SP2 is german ,

keep you updated whether it works as in 10.1.x too...

regards
    ben

• 5.  RE: PGP 10.1.2 for winPE

Posted Jun 01, 2012 12:09 PM

If you are having to pull drivers from the SYSWOW64 folder then that means that you are using a 64-bit system. But we only support win PE 32-bit currently. So I would think that you will be needing to take the drivers from a 32-bit system.

• 6.  RE: PGP 10.1.2 for winPE

Posted Jun 01, 2012 01:03 PM

I should have figured, that makes sense. It is a win7 x64 system.

The documentation is a little misleading though because there is only one driver that is specifically denoted as having to come from a 32 bit system - I assumed that the rest could come from a 64 bit system.

"

C:\Program Files\PGP Corporation\PGP Desktop\PGPwde.exe <-Note: You must obtain this driver from a Windows 32-bit system.

"

Thanks for your help!

• 7.  RE: PGP 10.1.2 for winPE

Posted Jun 01, 2012 04:26 PM

I won't waste anybody's time by describing my problem. It's exactly the same, line by line. I don't know how to proceed either!

• 8.  RE: PGP 10.1.2 for winPE

Posted Jun 02, 2012 02:08 PM

I don't know if this is your case, but I was trying to create this image to boot on another PC that is encrypted and I don't have the Windows password anymore (I already got the WDRT token, but bypassing PGP still won't me allow to recover my files). So, I was trying to decrypt the disk to be able to break my Windows password in another way.

Well, I managed to burn the iso contained on the article TECH152604 (I couldn't find a way to create a bootable USB stick with this image, but burning the CD with ImgBurn was straightahead), booted my PC, typed my token and it is currently decrypting all my HD (which I believe will take a couple of days).

Best of luck for you!

• 9.  RE: PGP 10.1.2 for winPE

Posted Jun 04, 2012 07:49 AM

To summarize here : i think the main problem is to build a WinPE disk with files obtained from x64 systems. Building WinPE unter 32bit environment installed with PGP Desktop 32bit works without any hassle, the final image is approx 170mb in 10.2.1 , i wonder in 10.1.2 it was approx 220mb ...

perhaps it's regarding german/english translation . because this time in 10.2.1 i used the english Windows AIK instead of german Windows AIK which i used in PGP desktop 10.1.2 .

regards

ben