Expand all | Collapse all

PGP 10.2 MP5 on Mac OS X 10.7 does not see the hard drive

Migration User

Migration UserApr 08, 2013 04:09 AM

Migration User

Migration UserJul 24, 2013 11:28 AM

• 1.  PGP 10.2 MP5 on Mac OS X 10.7 does not see the hard drive

Posted Dec 18, 2012 04:08 PM

I have a MacBook Air with Mac OS X 10.7 and Windows 7 on bootcamp.

I read on the forum (link below) how to install PGP on a configuration like this:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/can-pgp-wde-be-used-existing-bootcamp-installations

When I get to the encryption on Mac OS step I choose PGP Disk on left-hand-side menu and Encrypt Disk.

The problem is the next window that pops-up does not display any disks. The list is empty. So obviously I cannot click "Continue".

Please advise.

• 2.  RE: PGP 10.2 MP5 on Mac OS X 10.7 does not see the hard drive

Posted Dec 20, 2012 10:41 AM

Anyone? Do you have no solution or do you need more information from me?

• 3.  RE: PGP 10.2 MP5 on Mac OS X 10.7 does not see the hard drive

Posted Jan 03, 2013 11:27 AM

Hi, I have seen the exact same problem in testing and filed a bug. My suggestion, as a workaround for now, is to try detaching any removable drives attached to the system and then reattach them (or just leave them unplugged long enough to detect the internal boot drive). This should be fixed with an upcoming release in our testing and our QA team is still verifying that.

• 4.  RE: PGP 10.2 MP5 on Mac OS X 10.7 does not see the hard drive

Posted Jan 07, 2013 09:16 AM

I have a client who has the same issue with 2 differences:

on 10.8.2 and MP5 PGP. 

Has no external drives, but still cannot see any drives to encrypt.  Another piece of info is they use parallels, but is trying to encrypt the disk in OSX

I

• 5.  RE: PGP 10.2 MP5 on Mac OS X 10.7 does not see the hard drive

Posted Jan 15, 2013 09:34 AM

Alex_CST: Is the disk you are trying to encrypt a VM disk inside of a paralell's? Or a raw disk image used by parallel's? Or none of the above, and you are just simply noting that Parallel's is installed? Thank you.

• 6.  RE: PGP 10.2 MP5 on Mac OS X 10.7 does not see the hard drive

Posted Jan 15, 2013 09:55 AM

To be honest I do not know what parallel's is. I am not really a MAC user. I see it is a MAC software. I did not install anything on the MacBook Air. It only has the defaul stuff on it.

I tried plugging in a USB HDD and a USB flash drive, but it did not see those either. 

• 7.  RE: PGP 10.2 MP5 on Mac OS X 10.7 does not see the hard drive

Posted Jan 23, 2013 11:30 AM

I think there are 2 issues here:

1. No external drives, NO disk appears in the list, so encryption can't proceed (Original Post)
    2. EXTERNAL drives prevent the main disk from being listed for encryption (PGP_Ben Jan3)

When we see #1, I ask: "Is anything connected encrypted with FileVault2?" PGP silently disables its WDE programs in the presence of FV2.

Never seen #2, but I would advise you rule out that it is not a variant of #1.

However, external drives connected pre-boot no longer prompt for passphrase since 10.2.1 MP4/10.8.2. I have to log in, disconnect the drive, then reconnect it to get prompted. 

• 8.  RE: PGP 10.2 MP5 on Mac OS X 10.7 does not see the hard drive

Posted Feb 07, 2013 11:49 AM

This appears fixed in 10.3.0:

However, external drives connected pre-boot no longer prompt for passphrase since 10.2.1 MP4/10.8.2. I have to log in, disconnect the drive, then reconnect it to get prompted. 

BTW, here is some documentation I created for our install techs on this question:

Solutions for “disk to be encrypted not listed”

This symptom has been reported for several reasons:

1. Tech looking at the list of encrypted disks instead of pressing ‘Encrypt Disk’ to get list.
    2. Mac: a File Vault disk is present; PGP disables WDE programs if it sees FV.
    3. Mac: disk formatted with APM not GUID partition table.

File Vault

PGP/SED won’t install or run whole disk encryption utilities needed to encrypt disks, if it sees FV/FV2. It will boot, but no new encryption can happen. If and only if, you can see FV/FV2 on, decrypt FV drives, turn it off, reboot, reinstall PGP.

Is PGP disabled on Mac (e.g. due to presence of FV/2)?

With PGP installed, in Mac terminal type

pgpwde --status

if you DONT see “Request sent to Disk status was successful” in the output call x4040.

Wrong Partition Table

Symantec Encryption Desktop/PGP WDE needs GUID partition maps to work. The older Apple Partition Map won’t work. This information can be verified from the installer read me.

1. Use Disk Utility to identify the partition map of the disk.
    2. If partition map is APM, backup contents and reformat with GUID.

Refer to this article for help working partition maps in Disk Utility:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/PH5845

• 9.  RE: PGP 10.2 MP5 on Mac OS X 10.7 does not see the hard drive

Posted Feb 23, 2013 11:07 AM

Hi!

I have the same problem: Mac Mini Late 2012 (10.8.2) I installed a second drive (SSD)

- everythings works fine. Installing PGP 10.2 MP5: Now I found no disks to encrypt

and encrypted disks connected via USB are not recognized. It´s very strange because

before I installed the second ssd it was possible to read connected drives by usb ...

I need some support. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

• 10.  RE: PGP 10.2 MP5 on Mac OS X 10.7 does not see the hard drive

Posted Mar 22, 2013 08:03 AM

I still have the problem. Meanwhile I disconnect the ssd and reinstall 10.8.2.

The system has the original configuration, but PGP found no drive to encrypt

also encrypted disks connected via USB are not recognized. I have no idea

how I can fix the problem ....

• 11.  RE: PGP 10.2 MP5 on Mac OS X 10.7 does not see the hard drive

Posted Mar 23, 2013 01:10 PM

I´m sorry, but the support here is really weak...

The solution from 07.02.13 I can´t follow. With 

PGP 10.2 MP5 and pgp -status I got the message

invalid flag "-s"

With pgp -v:

Initialilizing WDE SDK...

Operation no operation failed:

Error code -11984: Objekt wurde nicht gefunden.

On my MacBook everything works fine ... 

macbook:~ demo$ pgpwde -v
    Initializing PGP SDK...
    Parsing command line options...
    Initializing WDE SDK...
    Updating disk list...
    Performing operation...
    No operation specified. Use --help to get help
    Request sent to No operation was successful

I really need support, I can´t invest much more time 

to solve the problem ...

• 12.  RE: PGP 10.2 MP5 on Mac OS X 10.7 does not see the hard drive

Posted Mar 25, 2013 09:28 AM

@MacUser

I have to agree with you on the lack of credible support. I also was unable to resolve the issue.

Luckly, I work in a company, so we just went a different direction than PGP and needless to say we won't be comming back. 

The explanation that I can't talk to someone over the phone, because we did not purchase additional support is ridiculus. Your software simply does not work, so why would I need to pay additional $ for it?

• 13.  RE: PGP 10.2 MP5 on Mac OS X 10.7 does not see the hard drive

Posted Apr 04, 2013 08:16 AM
    Will the bug fixed in a newer version 10.3? When comes the update? I´m still waiting for a solution ... @Socrates: ... in which direction exactley?

• 14.  RE: PGP 10.2 MP5 on Mac OS X 10.7 does not see the hard drive

Posted Apr 08, 2013 04:09 AM

Great Support! V. 10.3 have the same bug .....

• 15.  RE: PGP 10.2 MP5 on Mac OS X 10.7 does not see the hard drive

Posted Apr 12, 2013 12:48 AM

Those that are still having this problem on Symantec Drive Encryption 10.3.0. Did you try using the recommendations isopepper listed a few threads above?  If this is a managed client (managed by the Symantec Encryption Management Server - formerly PGP Universal Server) then you need to make sure that you have connectivity to your server before it will allow the encryption so that it can upload a WDRT and get managed policy, etc.

• 16.  RE: PGP 10.2 MP5 on Mac OS X 10.7 does not see the hard drive

Posted Jun 24, 2013 12:52 PM

Has this issue been resolved using the latest suggestions in this forum thread?

• 17.  RE: PGP 10.2 MP5 on Mac OS X 10.7 does not see the hard drive

Posted Jul 24, 2013 11:28 AM

10.3 MP3 now works ...

Cheers!

• 18.  RE: PGP 10.2 MP5 on Mac OS X 10.7 does not see the hard drive

Posted Jul 30, 2013 08:02 PM

I encrypted a USB flash drive with PGP desktop 10.2.1. After upgrading from snow leopard to lion (OS X 10.7.5.) it no longer recognizes my USB! Does anyone know how to fix this? 

Thanks!

• 19.  RE: PGP 10.2 MP5 on Mac OS X 10.7 does not see the hard drive

Posted Jul 31, 2013 09:21 AM

Please note the following from http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH174563

10.3.0 (Recommended if running Mac OSX 10.7.5)