File Share Encryption

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

PGP 10.2 on SandyBridge Windows 7 machine with XP Mode Blue Screening

• 1.  PGP 10.2 on SandyBridge Windows 7 machine with XP Mode Blue Screening

Posted Nov 08, 2011 05:50 PM

I support a client that is using PGP.  Unfortunately this is my first time to work with PGP.  They are licensed for version 9.12.  This has worked for older systems, but they recently purchased new Dell computers with Sandy Bridge.  I tracked the initial issues with their version of PGP back to the Sandy Bridge issues after testing (would install and get all software to work, then install PGP 9.12 and would not be able to boot into windows).  I've got a trial version of the current 10.2 (fixed the bootup issues and that is working well), but now when I try and install XP mode I get a blue Screen with "Stop: 0x00000019 (0x00000020, other numebrs which seem to change some)".  This happens when I try to setup XP Mode and unless I'm trying to install/configure the XP mode VM this Blue Screen doesn't seem to be recreatable.  Pre-upgrading to 10.2 I had the machine setup with XP Mode (no issues and software) and it wasn't until I actually did the WDE with version 9.12 that it would either BSOD out with similar Stop error message above or install and "boot up" XP Mode fine, but never boot again after the first boot with the Stage2 error messages (http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/pgp-wde-boot-screen-bypassed-stage-2-initializing-loader-error-cannot-authenticate-bootguard-).  Anyone have any suggestions on why PGP 10.2 might be having issues with XP Mode and causing the Blue screen?  Anyone have suggestions on items to try to fix this.  Unfortunately it is just a trial otherwise I'd contact Symantec support.  Also if this is the "fix" for the 9.12 issues they have multiple machines that are in the process of getting updated/fixed and will update their licensing to the current version.   Unfortunately that is all on hold until we can verify that the new version is the fix to the problems (it has definately fixed bootup issues and looked good unti I ran into this XP Mode issue).

• 2.  RE: PGP 10.2 on SandyBridge Windows 7 machine with XP Mode Blue Screening

Posted Nov 09, 2011 04:28 PM

There is a hotfix out which addresses several BSOD issues that we were seeing with PGP Whole Disk Encryption on Windows XP. If you PM me, I can probably get you access to a download of the hotfix. But I cannot support it, hotfixes come from engineering and are maintained by engineering. Especially if this is just a trial.

• 3.  RE: PGP 10.2 on SandyBridge Windows 7 machine with XP Mode Blue Screening

Posted Nov 09, 2011 04:43 PM

I´m not sure what XP MODE does...probably it change several internal settings for Windows 7, drivers, startup commands.... this will be very difficult to trouble shoot

Download bluescreen viewer , enable dump at hang, analyze dmp file after BSOD and you will have more clues...

please share.

• 4.  RE: PGP 10.2 on SandyBridge Windows 7 machine with XP Mode Blue Screening

Posted Nov 09, 2011 06:13 PM

MS runs like a mini XP enviorment virtually in XP-Mode.

More info and even download of the utility here : http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

I have to do some testing with it for another application so its why I know about it. Never had to use it myself (use Ubuntu at hm :D  )

• 5.  RE: PGP 10.2 on SandyBridge Windows 7 machine with XP Mode Blue Screening

Posted Nov 10, 2011 05:16 PM

XP mode is just Microsoft Virtual PC running a virtual machine inside of Windows 7. Not a lot different than VMware. That is why I recommend looking at the hotfix update. Since we fixed several issues with BSOD on XP in this new hotfix.

• 6.  RE: PGP 10.2 on SandyBridge Windows 7 machine with XP Mode Blue Screening

Posted Nov 11, 2011 11:03 AM

PGP_Ben, can you provide details of the hotfixes as we are also experiencing exactly the same issue with our PGP 10.2 installs.

I have raised an official ticket but am interested to know...is the hotfix you refer to simply 10.2.2608 (i.e. MP2) or is there something extra? I am assuming the later as, having reviewed and installed MP2 on our Universal Server, the release notes dont mention fixing any specific BSOD fixes.

We are performing clean installs of PGP WDE 10.2(.1672) onto HP Probook 6560bs running Windows XP SP3.
    We have ensured that KB2393802 is NOT installed as per article linked: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH158539

We have also ensured we are running the latest version of Intel(R) HD Graphics Family drivers (version: 6.14.10.5384..ok admittedly not a 'known good' version but the latest nonetheless..we're trying that next!)

We have tried also editing the PGP MEMLOCK registry entry to 0.

Nothing so far has worked. The first user enrols successfully as does the second. However whenever the second user enrols they always get a BSOD on boot up with a random memory error along the lines of:
    STOP 0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0x etc etc). The BSODs only seem to happen on boot-up and only for the second enrolled user??.

• 7.  RE: PGP 10.2 on SandyBridge Windows 7 machine with XP Mode Blue Screening

Posted Nov 30, 2011 10:59 AM

Hello PGP_Ben,

I've recently completed a new XP image for newer model machines that require PGP 10.2. The machines encrypt successfully and reboot fine, however from time to time i notice that when you boot the machine, it blue screens, then reboots itself and asks how you want to start windows, if you choose start windows normally it boots fine. I'm curious to see if the hotfix you mention might resolve this issue. How would i go about downloading it? We have a corporate account with PGP, would i just work with a contact there?

Thanks,

• 8.  RE: PGP 10.2 on SandyBridge Windows 7 machine with XP Mode Blue Screening

Posted Dec 01, 2011 01:19 AM

Hi Skull One,

This does not sounds as though there is an explicit compatibility issue between PGP and XP Mode as there is a known issue with PGP 10.xxx and Sandy Bridge Hardware.

I was able to locate the following resource for you where Symantec has stated they are not only aware of the issue but have also submitted a solution to it: http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/pgp-wde-boot-screen-bypassed-and-cannot-authenticate-windows-7-pro

If after following the steps outlined in the above resource, I would recommend checking out the TechNet It Pro Forum Communityas it may be a corruption issue within XP Mode / Virtual PC itself.  

Jessica

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

• 9.  RE: PGP 10.2 on SandyBridge Windows 7 machine with XP Mode Blue Screening

Posted Dec 01, 2011 10:46 AM

@WinOutreach5 He mentioned in his original forum thread that he knows about the "Sandy Bridge" compatability issue. He mentions now that he is using PGP Desktop 10.2. Which is not affected by this "Sandy Bridge compatability issue".  The issue that he is describing now is BSOD errors on his XP mode installation, which is in no way related to the "Stage 2 initailizing loader issue" that he was having with pre 10.2 Desktop clients (he mentions 9.12).  Just wanted to clarify that.

@Skullone and others interested on this thread. We will have a maintenance pack with a bunch of fixes rolledup available here soon (possibly a week or so).  The hotfix doesn't contain all the other fixes included and isn't generally available to the public via FileConnect.  So please stay tuned and I will update you. But 10.2 MP3 (Maintenance Pack 3) will be available soon and has several fixes for BSOD issues on seen on Windows XP both in Virtual Machine and physical hardware environments.

• 10.  RE: PGP 10.2 on SandyBridge Windows 7 machine with XP Mode Blue Screening

Posted Dec 01, 2011 10:52 AM

Thanks for the update on MP3 PGP_Ben. Will stay glued to this thread to find out when its released. Just to make sure i'm understanding correctly, MP3 will have the hotfix as well as other fixes to address BSOD issues on XP, right? Once MP3 is available, will it be made available to the public for download, or would we have to go through symantec support to get the download?

Thanks for all of your support.

• 11.  RE: PGP 10.2 on SandyBridge Windows 7 machine with XP Mode Blue Screening

Posted Dec 01, 2011 11:57 AM

Yes, I will update this thread when MP3 is out. It will be generally available, which means that everyone can download it if they have access to their symantec licensing portal account (through FileConnect) just like the public releases such as 10.2.

No reason to go through support for PDC download anymore unless you use the hotfix. We are trying to stear away from hotfixes and release quaterly maintenace packs.

• 12.  RE: PGP 10.2 on SandyBridge Windows 7 machine with XP Mode Blue Screening

Posted Dec 06, 2011 11:12 AM

PGP desktop 10.2 Mp3 is now generally available through the Symantec licensing portal or fileconnect. This release resolves the issues with BSOD on Windows XP. I'm going to copy and paste the relevant portion of our release notes that describes what's resolved for Windows XP:

• BSOD: PGPwded.sys: DRIVER_PAGE_FAULT_BEYOND_END_OF_ALLOCATION
    • Resolved an issue with PGP Desktop Whole Disk Encryption that would cause some Windows systems to experience a blue screen error at bootup. [2572939]
    •  Resolved an issue with PGP Desktop Whole Disk Encryption for Windows that was
      causing blue screen errors after PGP Boot Guard authentication. [2577289]
    • Resolved an issue with PGP Desktop Whole Disk Encryption that was causing blue
      screen errors after Boot Guard authentication. [2572939]