View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Migration User

Migration UserAug 26, 2011 09:16 AM

• 1.  PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 02, 2011 06:32 AM

Hi all

I just installed PGP 10.2 Desktop pro as an inplace upgrade to Version 10.1.

System is Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit with 64Bit JRE and JDK installed on default filepaths.

After upgrade, I got error dialog:

PGPtray_Hidden_Window: PGPtray.exe - System Error

The program can't start because java.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

Attempts to reinstall PGP do not fix this issue.

I eventually got rid of the problem by adding path to JRE to the PATH environment variable - but this seems intuitively wrong.

Java does not appear to be listed as a software prerequisite for PGP although as a Java developer, I use daily.

Has this issues been seen by other users? 

What is the 'correct' symantec solution to the problem?

db

• 2.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 02, 2011 08:49 AM

I'm getting that too on my Win7 Pro laptop. Reinstalled Java just in case, no luck. I'd rather not go playing with environment variables if possible as that would require changing 1000+ machines just to make this work.

Going to log a call with our support company to see if they know anything - will come back if I have any luck.

• 3.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 02, 2011 11:31 AM

I'm also getting the same error after upgrading from 10.1 to 10.2.  Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and I have several java versions installed (32-bit and 64-bit) but the one in my path statement is 1.6.0_24 64 bit JRE and JDK's 

• 4.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 02, 2011 01:37 PM

Fresh installs are fine - only upgrades appear to be affected.

dcc

• 5.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 03, 2011 10:17 AM

With 1k+ machines to update you'll need to apply fix via some kind of login script (I'm no network expert)... or better still wait for an updated installer that works properly.

However, given the time it has taken to get PGP support for 64 bit office environment, I wouldn't hold my breath!

For a company like Symantec to get what should be a simple check on the Java environment this badly wrong stikes me as very sloppy work. 

db 

• 6.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 03, 2011 10:23 AM

I had thought about trying a fresh install - but did not have time yesterday.
    I may well do uninstall/reinstall anyway - after first removing the PATH to java.dll I put in yesterday.
    It is very probable that I will be installing JRE7 soon - and I don't want to run into problems with outdated evironment variables.

db

• 7.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 03, 2011 01:12 PM

Ok this might end up being the only option but I hope not.  

I have 1.5TB of encrypted data that would have to be unencrypted then re-encrypted that's going to take awhile.  I’m going to try and hold out and see if Symantec can fix this issue.

CB

• 8.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 03, 2011 05:07 PM

Are you installing PGP Desktop 10.2 from the PGP Universal Server client download off the PGP Universal Server? Or this is a standalone desktop installation?

I know that we updated the JDK for PGP Universal in 3.2.

• 9.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 04, 2011 03:46 AM

I'm installing from the Universal Server client download and getting this issue. The error pops up 6 times on startup before going away, and then another 6 times when I try to open PGP Desktop from the systray - despite the error it still loads though, so not sure what the problem is.

• 10.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 04, 2011 11:03 AM

There is a separate JDK update on fileconnect for universal server 3.2, is this jdk update included in the 3.2 pup update file?

if not, how were customers supposed to know that they needed to install the JDK update? there is no explanation of update files on fileconnect. (or anywhere)

• 11.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 04, 2011 01:24 PM
      |   view attached

Did you notice the information at the top of the download screen on fileconnect? It says to install the PGP Universal Server update. Then the JDK update. The JDK update IS included in the FULL download so if you are doing an ISO install. But not on the PUP update. We had a problem with trying to integrate the JDK update into the 3.2 PUP update. That is why there is the separate JDK update.

By the way, this is also included in our release notes found here:

• 12.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 04, 2011 01:39 PM

Please do update on the status of this when you have tried updating the JDK on pgp universal server. I am unable to reproduce the problem that you are describing in my VM's.

• 13.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 04, 2011 01:53 PM

im used to seeing the 3.1 Universal server fileconnect screen that contains no information about what any of the pup files do. 

• 14.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 05, 2011 04:36 AM
      |   view attached

I've applied this update already and installed the client from this version (that appears to be the same version as prior to applying the JDK). Still receiving the Java.dll error on startup and when I try opening PGP Desktop from the tray (see attached image).

Just to confirm, the version of the client I have installed is 10.2.0 (Build 1672). The U/S is 3.2 (Build 1672) - although the JDK update suggests that it should now be build 1700.

• 15.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 05, 2011 11:56 AM

The part that I'm still confused about...

As far as I know, we don't use any java coding in our PGP Desktop software. As a matter of fact, three of my test machines don't even have JRE or JDK installed...

• 16.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 05, 2011 01:25 PM

hi, what build are you guys on with 10.1.2 before upgrading?

• 17.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 06, 2011 12:12 PM

I'm running the standalone desktop version and it was the latest 10.1.1 build.  The file I downloaded from you server was PGPDesktop10.2.0_Windows.zip The link was sent to me in an upgrade notice email.  I too get the error msg 6 or 7 times at startup them if again if I try to open PGP desktop.

What other info would you need?

• 18.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 06, 2011 05:25 PM

I was on PGP 10.1.2 standalone client Windows Vista 32-bit. ( prev. moved from 10.1.1 to 10.1.2 without problem.)

Procedure:
    1) decrypted system disc
    2) uninstalled PGP 10.1.2  and re-boot
    3) turned of firewall functions
    4) installed PGP 10.2.0

Finalising the install with the mandatory re-boot the PGP asssitant did not appear but PGP Tray pad-lock was already at status bar. Could select "options" and "licence", but could not open PGP Desktop. Nothing happened when selected that option. Re-booted a number of times, but same result.

Uninstalled and installed again using steps 2-4 above again. This time PGP Tray pad-lock is not visible at all. When checking processes I can see that PGPtray.exe is running, so it is hidden. Right-clicking a file give the wanted menu "PGP Desktop" and one can select e.g. "Secure with key...." or any other option normally listed, but nothing happens. Trying to run commands directly from command line, e.g. pgpwde --status --disk 0 does not work either. Doing so, the machine hangs in that window I you have to close it.

Looks very much like a bug in the 10.2 and I appreciate update information on this. Meanwile going back to 10.1.2.

/M

• 19.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 08, 2011 04:29 AM

I was on 10.1.2 SP2 (Build 26). Only tried this on my own laptop for now as I don't want the entire company complaining about this pop up.

It sounds like a fresh install fixes the issue, but it's certainly not ideal.

• 20.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 08, 2011 08:11 AM

Haven’t given it much of a thought, but what exactly does one mean when saying a ”fresh install” (or “clean install” as also mentioned)?

Some further information from my case here above, which could be useful for some of you.

After having successfully uninstalled the 10.1.2 version and installed the 10.2.0, which did not function as written in my previous posting, I made attempts to uninstall the 10.2.0 version, but no... The build-in installer got stuck after a while and was not able to finish. Had to crash, re-start and attempt all sorts of tricks, but none where successful. Tried a repair, modify and even re-install but apparently the built-in installer had made some error first time, which now made any operation to hang or stall. Even tried the manual removal process for PGP (http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO42021 ). When performing this I could see that the PGP installer uninstall process had partly succeeded, but much was still left. However after performed operation and re-boot --- I was somewhat surprised to see the PGP installer popping up again and this time saying “Configuring PGP...” and after a while I was back with a none-operational PGP 10.2.0. Somewhat persistent program...  So, in my case the PGP 10.2.0 installer did not perform correctly and made some irrecoverable errors during the (either) install and/or uninstall process and I was stuck with a none-operational PGP 10.2.0 and could not roll-back to e.g. 10.1.2.

After having had spent 3-4 hours on this I decided for a 3rd party uninstall to wipe out the installation with somewhat more force, which was successful. I am now at the point of testing the machine running without PGP for a couple of hours before attempting to go back to PGP 10.1.2 version.

So, just to let you know that it could be rather difficult to get PGP 10.2.0 to uninstall if you run into problems when installing it. So, a good catch-22 because you can’t know about having the problem before installing...

I trust this problem of PGP 10.2.0 sometimes rendering into a none-operational installation to be solved within soon.

/M

• 21.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 08, 2011 10:19 AM

I'm very sorry to hear that you are having these types of problems. I'm not in any way discounting the fact that you guys are having issues. It's just the problem is, we cannot fix the issue if we don't know what's causing it and we cannot reproduce it.

So I would like to have somebody please provide me with some details. If any of you are familar with Belarc or WinAudit, could you maybe generate me a report? PM me and I can give you details on where to send it to. If any of you have a Symantec support contract, I would like to open  case on this issue as well.

Any other details you can provide would be helpful also. Such as what versions of Java runtime and JDK that you have installed when seeing the problems with the "java.dll is missing" error. I have tried multiple versions of java and multiple ways of gettign it installed on Windows 7 64-bit as well as XP 32-bit. I cannot reproduce the problem (as of yet). 

I also haven't seen the issue that mms11380 is describing where PGP Desktop 10.2 won't uninstall it cleanly. All of our installers leave behind some registry keys and some files in the application data folder, etc. This is for in-case you are going to reinstall. As many applications do this. But I would also like him to log a support case with me, if possible. So that we can look at what is happening on their systems. Especially if this is reproducible on multiple machines in your environment.

Thanks,

Ben

• 22.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 08, 2011 02:08 PM

Hi Ben,
    Using a "small environment" with about 5 installations. All being stand-alone none-managed installations primary using NetShare and WDE functionality. We use NetShare also with remote databases. I must say that in general PGP platform is excellent and have never failed in handling our data. The 10.1.x version have some issues with the 64-bit version of Windows and Office 2010, and we hoped for 10.2 to solve this,but was somewhat surprised with the now problem with this. 

Have a "Basic" support agreement. Please send me a message where to send futher details, and what details you would like to recieve.

Meanwhile I successfully rolled-back to 10.1.2 and this now runs without problem (again).

BR,
    Magnus

• 23.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 09, 2011 04:23 AM

Ben,

What info are you wanting to get from WinAudit? Run the default settings, or All, or...?

• 24.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 11, 2011 05:27 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Ben

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to this issue - been busy earning a crust!

Environment: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, JRE, JDK 7 (build 1.7.0-b147), Dell M6600, 16Gb memory, Video Nvidia Quadro 3000M with 275.33 driver

I first uninstalled PGP 10.2 using standard uninstall routine and removed referenece to java.dll from PATH environment variable.

Reboot

Run PGPDesktopWin64-10.2.0.exe

The first thing of note is the opening install dialog - appears to be corrupt; suggest this could be some compatibility problem with video card - but I do not generally have problems with other programs. Click OK on this dialog and the install appears to run normally.

Restart windows when prompted.

I now get a repeat of the previous missing java.dll dialog.

Put back PATH environment variable referencing java.dll and reboot.

Everything appears normal PGP is working as expected.

HOWEVER, it is quite clear that the uninstall routine was not completely effective since I have not been asked for licence or location of keyring and all original PGP settings are as before uninstall.

In conclusion, it appears that neither the installer nor the uninstaller work correctly although the actual program appears OK if there is a reference to java.dll in the PATH.

David

• 25.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 11, 2011 02:52 PM

We just upgraded to PGP 10.2 from 10.1.2 and after a period of time the machines lock up.  Icons disappear and we can not CTRL-ALT Delete out, we have to power off the the machine.  We run PGP in an un-managed environment all on stand alone laptops.  All are on various Dell laptops E series 6500, 6510, 6520. 

• 26.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 12, 2011 04:37 AM

Hi

I have done a clean install of PGP whole desk encryption and had the same problem.

Eventualy I ran sys internals process monitor and searched for missing files. This showed me that the location the application was looking to was C:\Program Files (x86)\PGP Corporation\PGP Desktop. I copied the java.dll to tjis location and problem resolved.

I do not know if this is the same issue as above so some one may have to test this and confirm. Sys Internals is a free download from Microsoft and well worth having.

Thanks

Greg

• 27.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 12, 2011 05:24 PM

Sorry, I guess my thread notifications stopped working or somethin. I just saw this comment. Do All, that will generate a larger report but should be more than enough for what we need to investigate. You can pm me, so that you don't have to post it in the forum thread here too.

• 28.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 12, 2011 05:28 PM

I use sysinternals for everything. But this gives me another place to look for answers, thanks.

• 29.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 12, 2011 05:34 PM

According to our release notes for 3.2. It is normal to see build 1672 in the system version information even after the JDK update on the PGP Universal Server.

• 30.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 12, 2011 06:41 PM

I'm using this to help me in trying to reproduce the problem.  Can anybody reproduce this on multiple machines in their environment?

• 31.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 16, 2011 08:16 AM

I am having similar issues as chrisjr1273.  I have Dell E6520's and one Gateway M465E winXP sp3.  All are locking up after a period of inactivity.  Caps lock responds and the mouse moves however the system will respond in no other way.  I have to hard shut down and restart.  I have about had it with PGP. Very frustrated.  Been struggling for over 3 months.

• 32.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 17, 2011 11:50 AM

Does the problem go away when decrypting the disk and uninstall PGP? This must not be a new problem with PGP Desktop 10.2 if you have struggling with it for 3 months. PGP Desktop 10.2 has only been out since 08/01/11.

• 33.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 17, 2011 03:18 PM

I mis-stated.  I have been having issues with PGP for 3 months and the sandy bridge fiasco.  I am now up to 3.2 universal and 10.2 desktop however each system I encrypt stops responing after 15-20 min. of inactivity.  This is a new issue.  I have a support case open however the emails I recieve are few and far between for the support staff.  I am also noticing if I wait long enough I can bring up taskmgr however it is very odd.  The user name associated with the task is (Unknown)....  I can't be the only one with this issue.

• 34.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 18, 2011 05:36 AM

I'd like to add my voice to this - we are having what sounds like the exact same issue as described by chrisjr1273 and J_Haggerty since upgrading to 10.2.

After upgrading to Universal Server 3.2 (incl. the JDK Update) the new 10.2 client started to roll out to clients and after installing successfully it then proceeded to freeze up the systems.

We have roughtly 50 endpoints and fortunately I managed to catch this and disable the updates before too many of them were updated.

We are running Dell E-series Latitude laptops (E6320/E4310/E4300) with both Core i5's and Core2Duo's, SSD's and standard HDD's and the problem has been seen occuring on both Win 7 Pro (32 and 64 bit) and also XP SP3 32 bit.

We upgraded to get around the problem with the new E6320's and a fault with the Pre-boot auth screens as described in http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH158600 and now we have this issue so we're currently unable to roll out any of the new laptops that require PGP.

For info - we've been able to resolve the issue by rolling back the systems using System Restore prior to the upgrade. This sets PGP Desktop back to 10.1.2 (Build 9) and although the new Boot Loader screen with the username/passphrase/domain boxes remains, the problem goes away. XP is a little less friendly than 7, requiring a rollback and then reinstall of 10.1.2 before things are back to normal.

I'm about to open an support case and will point them towards this thread as I imagine more people are likely to hit these problems but thought it useful to add some information.

To answer Ben's question - This does only appear to be happening when WDE is installed - I'm about to setup a machine with PGP Desktop but use TrueCrypt for the WDE and so I'll update this thread once I can fully confirm if this works or not.

Phil

• 35.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 18, 2011 08:35 AM

We are now 13 days since we started to see reports appear about having problem migrating to PGP 10.2.
    Any progress from on this?

--M

• 36.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 18, 2011 09:49 AM

IT would be interesting to know how wide spread this is as it is affecting all our Dell machines from brand new laptops to 3 year old desktops. If there is any more information available it would be appreciated.

• 37.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 18, 2011 09:58 AM

I added a much longer post but it appears to be awaiting approval, so a quick blurb so the above post doesn't look completely out of place:

We have about 50 PGP users running Dell E-series Latitude laptops and a couple of desktops, with varying hardware (from core i5's to Core2duos, and both SSD's and traditional HDD's). Operating systems affected are Windows XP and Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit).

Every single one that has been upgraded to 10.2 has experienced the same problem as raised by chrisjr1273 and J_Haggerty.

Phil

• 38.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 18, 2011 11:34 AM

I can only do limited support on an issue like this through forum. Does anybody have a symantec support contract that they have been able to submit an incident through? This is probably something that would require some troubleshooting over the phone and everything to resolve. Far too difficult to resolve in the forum, if I cannot reproduce it and we cannot see the problem.

• 39.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 18, 2011 11:36 AM

I think that I will do so now. This is getting far too confusing.I moved the issue with the operating system locking up to another discussion.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/pgp-102-new-install-winxp-sp3-os-locking

• 40.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 18, 2011 12:04 PM

I have had a support call open with PGP for 5 days and all I have gotten is a couple emails.  It takes and act of GOD or congress to get them on the phone.  I wish PGP still owned the product.  Thier support was far superior and very punctual.  Sorry to vent but when I am getting my rear end destroyed by my user community it goes right down the line.  What a total mess.

Regards,

Unhappy customer!

• 41.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 18, 2011 12:10 PM

The PC's are not totally locking up.  After 30-40 min. I am able to bring up tak mgr however the system idle process has 99% of the resources.  It seems like there is a process taking all resources.  One note is:  Under taskmgr in the prcessors view all service have a user name (unknown) in brackets.  Seems like a rights issue or something and the OS is confussed?  Just tossing it out there.

• 42.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 18, 2011 01:16 PM

Those are sysinternal tools. it might help give you some insight as to what the process is choking up the cpu.  i've never seen anything like this, that is for sure.

• 43.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 20, 2011 04:12 PM

Since this seems to be a bigger issue than I would have thought of it would be and how SLOWLY Symantec seems to be addressing this issue. I can eliminate the error dialog by copying the 32-bit version of the jvm.dll.  This allows me to open the PGP desktop and use it.  

I used java version "1.6.0_26"and copied the jvm.dll from the client folder. Maybe someday they can really fix this issue

C:\Program Files (x86)\PGP Corporation\PGP Desktop

• 44.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 22, 2011 12:08 PM

Can anybody confirm whether they have administrative rights on the machine and are still running into this jvm.dll issue? So far, I have seen a commonality between customers who are having this issue and then not having administrator rights on the machine.  Which could be causing some of hte problem with an encrypted disk and trying to upgrade.

• 45.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 23, 2011 02:45 AM

Looks like that the installer is messing up some kind of path variables. as Admin under Win 7 Pro i even got a jvm.dll error by opening the computer management console. Had to copy the jvm.dll in the system32 Folder to fix it temporarily. Is there any solution?

• 46.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 25, 2011 09:46 AM

Same issue

Same issue on 2 windows 7 ultimates, one with sp1 and the other without. One has endpoint, the other avast. Very second PGP desktop is opened it appears. Installs where 2 day apart on different networks, one a hp laptop, the other a lenovo desktop. very strange. Both systems are 32bit. Full Admin rights on each and neither are connected to domain.

• 47.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 25, 2011 09:57 AM

If you keep hitting "ok" about 20 odd times pgp desktp will open and allow you to work away. Error does'nt show up again till you close and reopen pgp desktop window. 

• 48.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 26, 2011 01:50 AM

We've seen this issue when VMWare View Agent is installed.  The problem is that this program installs a PKCS#11 driver, "j2pkcs11.dll", which PGP Desktop tries to load, and this driver requires java.

Assuming you have the same issue, a workaround is to open preferences and in the Keys tab, uncheck the "Synchronize keys with tokens and smartcards" checkbox, or set the driver type to sync with to "None" (or to a specific driver if you do need to synchronize with smartcard or token keys).

• 49.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 26, 2011 09:16 AM

Thanks, thats it

• 50.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Aug 26, 2011 01:26 PM

Great, thanks.  There will be a product fix for this issue in a future version.

• 51.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Sep 01, 2011 09:11 AM

Looking at procmon, it seems that PGP tries loading "j2pkcs11.dll" from some Watchguard (firewall) software too.

What do I do if there isn't a syncronize keys option? I can't find the particular option on the Universal Server either.

• 52.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Sep 01, 2011 12:45 PM
      |   view attached

It should be in PGP desktop under Tools --> Options and then the Keys tab. It's the third option down "Synchronize keyring with tokens and smartcards".

See the screenshot for an example of my PGP desktop 10.2 client that I'm testing with.

• 53.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Sep 02, 2011 03:55 AM

I'm currently locked out from Tool -> Options by the Universal Server. I could of course enable access, but this wouldn't be ideal for 2000+ users if I were to roll out 10.2. Is there a similar option in the U/S I could apply to users? I can't find reference to key sync anywhere.

• 54.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Sep 02, 2011 04:40 AM

Just enabled access to Options just for myself - there is no Keys tab. All I have is General, Notifier and Advanced. Any ideas? :/

EDIT: I think I've got it. If you're using a Universal Server to manage your settings go to Consumers > Consumer Policy > (select policy) > Keys - Edit... > Certificates > Existing PKI Credentials > Disable "storage of keys on supported smart cards"

• 55.  RE: PGP 10.2 upgrade problems

Posted Nov 08, 2011 11:12 AM

FYI: We will have a code fix for this problem when we come out with our next maintenance pack in December of 2011.