File Share Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  PGP 10.2.1\PGP 10.3.2 keyboard not responding

Posted Jul 07, 2014 10:02 AM

Hello,

i am new to the forums and I have an issue that maybe someone could help me with. I have a Lenovo Laptop model L412 specs:

i5-520M(2.4GHz),2GB RAM ,160GB 7200rpm HD, Intel HD Graphics DVD, Intel 802.11agn wireless WWAN option, 1Gb Ethernet, UltraNav Secure Chip 6c Li-Ion, Win7 Pro 32

Unit had PGP desktop 10.2.1 installed and the Keyboard stop responding. the Bios and chipset software have been updated. and i have also visited the KB to find a solution ,Still the Keyboard will not respond in the to allow the pass-phase to be entered. It did allow us to get to the the boot selection screen but it will not let you into the BIOS as well. We  were able to get in once decrypted the drive installed the latest version of PGP (10.3.2) and encrypted the drive and the same issue has reoccurred. Does anyone have any insight on what might cause this? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: PGP 10.2.1\PGP 10.3.2 keyboard not responding

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 10, 2014 02:43 AM

Hi Tech1122,

I would first look to some other threads related to the same problem if you did not do it yet.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/usb-keyboard-doesnt-work-bootup-passphrase

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/keyboard-do-not-respond-bootguard-if-i-use-pgp-keys-etoken

Cannot Enter Passphrase Using USB Keyboard on Symantec Drive Encryption (formerly PGP Whole Disk Encryption) BootGuard
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH200001

Keep in mind the following please:

- You cannot use a keyboard attached to a docking station or a USB keyboard because the drivers for those peripherals do not load until after BootGuard has been entered
    - some bioses have a problem with not allowing the USB to work on bootguard
    - check if all USB ports are enabled on BIOS and that you don't use USB 3.0 port were the keyboard is connected.
    - try to replace the keyboard and see if this helps
    - did you try SED 10.3.2 MP2 - the latest MP2 pack
    - what language version and keyboard regional setting you have installed with Windows
    -docking station part#/model# - if in use
    -BIOS version of the machine

HTH

• 3.  RE: PGP 10.2.1\PGP 10.3.2 keyboard not responding

Posted Jul 17, 2014 08:51 AM

Hi Tech1122,

Apart from the possible solution provided above by _Adam_. I want to add something to the thread.

Can you access your BIOS now? If you have access to your BIOS, then please check the bootmode configuration whether it is set to UEFI or Legacy. Furthermore, check if the secure boot is active. I recently had a similar issue with one customer. The bootmode was set to legacy and when we slaved the disk to another system and check the partition type we found that it is GPT. We then changed the Bootmode to UEFI and de-activated the secure boot. After re-installing Windows and SED, we were able to encrypt the disk and also authenticate at the bootguard.

My customer was using a Windows 7 64 bit system and I think GPT is fully supported on 64 bit systems but I am not sure about the 32 bit system. Nevertheless, it is worth checking.

Please check the partition type and let us know the result.

Regards,

bipshr