Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  PGP Command Line 9.9 build 110

Posted Oct 27, 2014 03:22 PM

I have included the PGP encrypt command in a shell script file(TestFileRun.sh).However when I try to schedule the above shell script using the command:

$crontab -e

The shell script is not able to execute the PGP command only.Rest other portions are executing good.The PGP file is not getting generated while executing in scheduled job.

However, The shell script is running(Generates the PGP file) when executed manually using the command:
    $ ./TestFileRun.sh

FYI,
    The crontab is under the user : root
    The Symantec is licensed to a different user other than root.

I am using the Symantec PGP Command Line 9.9 build 110 in my UNIX machine.How to use PGP encryption and schedule a job automatically using crontab in UNIX machine????Kindly HELP.

• 2.  RE: PGP Command Line 9.9 build 110

Posted Oct 27, 2014 04:59 PM

If you installed under a different user, and the cron kicks off as root, it will not know where to look for the keys.  By default, it will try /usr/home/username, so it is probably looking for keys under the root user, and failing to find any.

It may help to specify the keyring location (home directory), either by using an environment variable to make it always use the same home directory, or by adding the --home-dir command to each command in the script.  More information can be found here:
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH149291

• 3.  RE: PGP Command Line 9.9 build 110

Posted Nov 05, 2014 11:58 AM

Hi Mike,

The above resolution didn't help much.The same issue is being faced when trying to schedule the job via crontab.I am sending you an email with the detailed screenshot for your reference.Kindly help me.

• 4.  RE: PGP Command Line 9.9 build 110

Posted Nov 05, 2014 11:59 AM

There were issue with the environment variables settings which resulted in test.sh shell script program to not run automatically through crontab -e.once I set the environment variables explicitly through EXPORT Command in the test.sh file .It fixed the issue.