Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  PGP Desktop 10.1 fails when program group removed from All Programs

Posted Feb 16, 2011 04:07 PM

PGP Desktop 10.1 shuts down with no functionality available or tray icon visible, if the "PGP" program group folder is removed from the "All Programs" Windows XP menu (for example by relocating it to a submenu of "All Programs"). When it's restarted (from a relocated shortcut pointing to PGP Desktop or by rebooting the machine), it will attempt to reinstall, launching the installer. The installer prompts for "PGPDesktop.msi", which at this time is usually removed from the folder under the temp path ([User]/Local Settings/Temp). Allowing this "reinstall" to finish will restore functionality, but also force the creation of a new copy of the program group in "All Programs". This behavior is repeatable.

Because the installer doesn't even provide options to select placement of shortcuts in the "All Programs" menu and moving the shortcuts folder completely disables the entire application, this is a major problem for machines with custom Windows shortcut menu structures.

• 2.  RE: PGP Desktop 10.1 fails when program group removed from All Programs

Posted Feb 16, 2011 04:15 PM

You can make a Feature Request to have this behavior changed.

• 3.  RE: PGP Desktop 10.1 fails when program group removed from All Programs

Posted Feb 17, 2011 02:01 AM

Dear Tom,

I consider this behavior to clearly be a bug of the installer because:

• The installer provides no option to choose where to place the program group or if it will be installed at all (and most other installers provide either of these two choices)
    • The application fails completely after a minor UI change the user is accustomed to performing without consequences (and which may be part of a reasonable administration plan), and this is undocumented

Do I need to file it elsewhere as a bug report then?

• 4.  RE: PGP Desktop 10.1 fails when program group removed from All Programs

Posted Feb 17, 2011 07:46 AM

You may want to create a support case:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=home

I believe it is by design that you are not asked where to install PGP.