Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  PGP Desktop 10.1.2 duplicates, blocks Outlook 2010 deleted items with Office 365

Posted Sep 08, 2011 04:06 AM

On my primary Windows 7 machine, I use PGP Desktop 10.1.2 solely for manually encrypting and decrypting files and blocks of text. In Options, I have unchecked Secure Email. The log shows "PGP Messaging is disabled" but it also shows "Processing Message" on all my inbound email.

I use Outlook 2010 to access email. This worked fine with my local SBS 2008 server and Exchange 2007.

However I have recently migrated to Office 365, Microsoft's latest cloud-based Exchange 2010 offering. I have experienced three problems:

1. When I delete an item in Outlook, it appears in the Deleted Items list, as expected. However, it also appears immediately in the Recover Deleted Items list, which I access using OWA. So, even before the item is hard-deleted, it is ready for recovery.

2. When I move an item in Outlook from one folder to another, the item that I moved also appears in the Recover Deleted Items list, which I access using OWA. In other words, even without deleting items, they go to the Recover Deleted Items list.

3. When I try to recover a deleted item from Outlook (not from OWA), I get a popup message:  "Outlook was unable to recover some or all of the items in this folder. Make sure you have the required permissions to recover items in this folder, and try again. If the problem persists, contact your administrator." The article is recovered in spite of the message.

I thought at first that these were Office 365 or Outlook issues, and spent hours working wtih Microsoft support, creating new Outlook and Windows profiles, etc. Then I discovered that stopping the "PGP SDK Service" (PGPserv.exe) makes all of the problems go away. So apparently PGP's email sniffer, although disabled, is somehow copying every item that is moved from one folder to another into the hidden Recover Deleted Items folder, then blocking proper access to that folder. Unfortunately, if I disable the "PGP SDK Service," I can't use PGP.

On another Windows 7 machine, I run PGP 6.5.3 from Network Associates. Outlook 2010 on that machine does not have this issue.

How can I use PGP 10.1.2 without it interfering with Outlook when connected to Office 365?

Mark Berry

• 2.  RE: PGP Desktop 10.1.2 duplicates, blocks Outlook 2010 deleted items with Office 365

Posted Sep 08, 2011 07:39 AM

You may want to use the Knowledge Base Article to install PGP without the components you don't need.  You might also want to consider upgrading to PGP version 10.2, which is the first version with Outlook 2010 and Exchange 2010 support.

• 3.  RE: PGP Desktop 10.1.2 duplicates, blocks Outlook 2010 deleted items with Office 365

Posted Sep 08, 2011 03:43 PM

Tom,

Thanks for your reply.

I did upgrade to 10.2 a few weeks ago, and discovered that it breaks block decryption functionality, so I downgraded again.

I re-upgraded to 10.2 to test this.  The same issues occur.

I uninstalled 10.2 and re-installed 10.1.2 with this command:

msiexec /I pgpdesktop.msi PGP_INSTALL_MAPI=0 PGP_INSTALL_NOTES=0 PGP_INSTALL_LSP=0 PGP_INSTALL_WDE=0 PGP_INSTALL_NETSHARE=0 PGP_INSTALL_GROUPWISE=0 PGP_INSTALL_VDISK=0 PGP_INSTALL_MAPI_Plugin=0

That failed with Error 1722 during CA_UnregisterNetShare64 (regsvr32.exe /u /s PGPfsshl.dl).

So I uninstalled, rebooted, and tried with this command (without mentioning NETSHARE):

msiexec /I pgpdesktop.msi PGP_INSTALL_MAPI=0 PGP_INSTALL_NOTES=0 PGP_INSTALL_LSP=0 PGP_INSTALL_WDE=0 PGP_INSTALL_GROUPWISE=0 PGP_INSTALL_VDISK=0 PGP_INSTALL_MAPI_Plugin=0

This time the installation succeeded.  After a reboot, PGP Desktop is missing the Messaging tab (good), and it appears to leave Outlook alone.

Issues during uninstall/reinstall:

- Repair install failed to find PGPDesktop.msi in my personal Temp folder. That's not an appropriate location for an .msi file that will be needed in the future.

- Constant prompts to allow an "unknown publisher" to modify my system. Is there a reason that Symantec does not sign its instalers? Kind of ironic to get frequent ads from Network Associates but see that Symantec doesn't consider digital signatures worthwhile.

So in summary, the bug continues in 10.2 but installing with most options suppressed is a workaround.  Blogged here:

http://www.mcbsys.com/techblog/2011/09/pgp-desktop-corrupts-outlook-2010-recover-deleted-items/

Regards,

Mark Berry

• 4.  RE: PGP Desktop 10.1.2 duplicates, blocks Outlook 2010 deleted items with Office 365

Posted Sep 08, 2011 03:57 PM

Glad to hear you have this resolved to meet your needs.  I can't offer anything regarding the lack of signatures.