Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  PGP Desktop 10.2.0 Generates an Error when Unencrypting via Current Window / Decrypt & Verify

Posted Aug 02, 2011 01:46 AM

I have been encrypting and unencrypting text using the "Curent Window -> Encrypt & Sign" and "Curent Window -> Decrypt & Verify" method for a while.  After upgrading to PGP Desktop 10.2.0 today this functionality no longer works and generates the error below when decrypting text files in Outlook 2007:

PGP can still encrypt and sign using the same method but decrypting and verifing the same text it just encrypted fails as well with the same error above.  The only way I have found to decrypt the text files or e-mail is to drop them in PGP Viewer.

• 2.  RE: PGP Desktop 10.2.0 Generates an Error when Unencrypting via Current Window / Decrypt & Verify

Posted Aug 02, 2011 02:04 AM

I just sorted this out.   The new version of PGP does not want any other text in the e-mail or text file even if they are outside of the begin and end PGP tags.  This used to work before...

Was this by design?

• 3.  RE: PGP Desktop 10.2.0 Generates an Error when Unencrypting via Current Window / Decrypt & Verify

Posted Aug 02, 2011 02:58 PM

Can anyone from Symantec answer this please?  Why would it give the error noted above if the text was added outside of the begin and end markers?

• 4.  RE: PGP Desktop 10.2.0 Generates an Error when Unencrypting via Current Window / Decrypt & Verify

Posted Aug 08, 2011 04:55 PM

I am seeing the same behavior in 10.1.2 SP2 (build 26). I don't expect this is by design and will be filing a report with development to see what they and product management have to say on the issue.

• 5.  RE: PGP Desktop 10.2.0 Generates an Error when Unencrypting via Current Window / Decrypt & Verify

Posted Aug 08, 2011 05:26 PM

Could I get the previous version you had installed and which version of Windows you are using?

• 6.  RE: PGP Desktop 10.2.0 Generates an Error when Unencrypting via Current Window / Decrypt & Verify

Posted Dec 06, 2011 12:48 PM

http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/securityupdates/detail.jsp?fid=security_advisory&pvid=security_advisory&year=2010&suid=20101118_00

If you have a mix of secure and insecure data, and you look at the output, how you you know what parts were "good" and what were not?

For email, we provide annotations that indicate the signed and decrypted parts.  We are looking to improve this behavior for current window and other situations where the output has some annotation.