Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  PGP Desktop Client Not Starting (OSX 10.7.3)

Posted May 07, 2012 05:16 PM

Hello everyone,

I have used the Symantec Endpoint Encryption Manager to create a client package of Symantec EndPoint Encryption Full Disk for a MacBook Pro running OSX 10.7.3. This PKG file was created using version 8.2.0 MP2, and it creates a PGP Desktop client for the OSX side, and inside the "legal notices.txt" file within the installation package, it states " Symantec Endpoint Encryption Full Disk 8.0.0" (not confusing at all).

Anyway, the installation goes fine, but after the initial reboot I get a screen showing "Starting PGP" (see picture below).

This little window flashes for a second and disappears, then will flash for a second and disappear, continuing this cycle until I force close the program with Activity Monitor or Command+Q. Occasionally I will get a pop-under window (picture below) with no information inside.

This is on a completely fresh OSX install running 10.7.3 with no extra software; Symantec's encryption client was the first piece I installed after the Welcome screen. A reinstall of OSX did not help the situation.

Any ideas on how to get this to work?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: PGP Desktop Client Not Starting (OSX 10.7.3)

Posted May 15, 2012 11:48 AM

Do you have a SSD?   The new SSDs are not supported as of yet.   I have seen all sorts of whacky behaviour after the system comes back up from the post-install reboot. 

I have also seen issues with machines bound to AD.  Failed installs, drivers not mounting the HD, etc..  

If the machine is bound, uninstall SEE, remove it from the domain, install SEE, kick off encryption, then rebind. 

edit

If you happen to find a good source for SEE 9.x information, let me know.   These boards are 99.9% PGP 10.x

• 3.  RE: PGP Desktop Client Not Starting (OSX 10.7.3)

Posted May 16, 2012 02:52 PM

Hi McMike -- thanks for taking the time to reply.

This system does not have an SSD; I believe I installed the client immediately after the Welcome Screen for Lion and this behavior persisted. I have since bound it to our doman so I took your advice, removed it, installed the client, rebooted, and the window continues to appear and disappear.

So far this thing has been a Pretty Giant Problem. We opened a case with Symantec but have not yet heard a response.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

• 4.  RE: PGP Desktop Client Not Starting (OSX 10.7.3)

Posted May 29, 2012 05:31 PM

Here is a quick update of what has happened since my last post.

I finally received a call from a Symantec technician to help troubleshoot this problem. Long story short, he created his own PGP 8.2 Mac package and sent it to me. This package worked flawlessly and did not present the problems I had when using mine.

He said the potential issue was that I was using the Symantec Endpoint Encryption Manager 8.2.0 MP2 and he had a newer version of 8.2.0 MP2HF1. This version is not available from the Symantec download portal and he had to find out where the version was stored and send me a copy.

But! Under his verification of my steps on creating the package, I still get the same flashy-flashy issue when creating a package under this new version.

We are still in contact as of today, so I will be sure to post a solution if one ever arises. I just wanted to get it out there that the latest version on the Symantec download portal may not actually be the very latest version available.

• 5.  RE: PGP Desktop Client Not Starting (OSX 10.7.3)

Posted Jun 25, 2012 12:29 PM

Final update.

Symantec Enterprise Support was unable to resolve my particular issue. I ended up finding out that Apple's FileVault 2 disk encryption is FIPS 140-2 certified, which is really all we need for these systems. Once I found that out, a little testing showed it was much more user-friendly and obviously worked more consistently than Symantec's product.

I closed the support case as unresolved--so if anyone else gets this issue: good luck!