Video Screencast Help

PGP Desktop, E-mail Error, Cannot proxy process 2868 due to insufficient privileges.

Created: 29 Jul 2012 • Updated: 30 Jul 2012 | 12 comments

This error does not allow the PGP E-mail Proxy to decrypt incoming e-mails when User Account Control is on at any level.  So far the only way I've found to work around this error is to turn off Windows 7 User Account Control, which leaves me a bit uncomfortable.  FYI, the number in the error message (2868 in the example noted in the subject line) changes on each logged attempt that fails.

The system is running PGP Desktop 10.1.2 Build 9, Windows 7 Professional SP1,and I have taken all Windows Updates through today (July 29, 2012.)  The computer is a Lenovo W530 laptop.  I am logged in on an Administrator account.

Is there another way to work around this error aside from totally turning off User Account Control?

Thanks for any help with this,

Jerry

Comments 12 CommentsJump to latest comment

Tom Mc's picture

Please see this Knowledge Base Article.

When you consider your issue resolved, please click Mark As Solution on the most helpful response.

Search the Knowledge Base &

Jerry-K's picture

Tom,

First of all, though I've been doing computer stuff for 40 years or so, believe it or not I'm new to using a forum for troubleshooting (this is the first time) so please excuse the redundancy of my entries.

I've followed the advice of the Knowledge Base Article with no resolution.  I've downloaded and installed PGP 10.2 MP5 with UAC off, then turned UAC back on and still have the problem.  Any other advice?  Since my settings (license number, other settings) remained after uninstall and reinstall, maybe some setting that is causing the problem stuck too?  Do I need to clear something in the registry or elsewhere?

Interestingly, this problem is not occurring on another workstation that I use from time to time, a Dell desktop running Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium edition, but running Avast Internet Security 7 just like my Lenovo laptop.  UAC is on and decryption by the proxy works fine.  Can you suggest anything I can look at on the Dell system that may give a clue?

Thanks for your attention to this,

Jerry

Tom Mc's picture

Jerry,

The KBA contains the only resolution for this that I know to have worked.  There is not much I can suggest, but would recommend that you go to the PGP Desktop shortcut in the Start menu, and make sure that on the Compatibility tab of PGP Desktop Properties, that you have enabled the option of Run This Program As An Administrator.  A reinstall might help if you disable Avast for the installation, and if you rename your PGP preference file between the uninstall and the new installation.  This will also require you to re-license your installation:  C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\PGP Corporation\PGP\PGPprefs.xml

When you consider your issue resolved, please click Mark As Solution on the most helpful response.

Jerry-K's picture

Here's what I did, with UAC off:

Uninstall PGP, re-boot, uninstall Avast

Then rename the PGPprefs.xml as you suggested.

Reinstall PGP, re-boot, set "Run as Administrator" for all users in Start Menu shortcut

Reinstall Avast, re-boot

Turn on UAC, decryption by the proxy still doesn't work.

Tuen off UAC, decryption by the proxy works fine.

Of note is that PGP Desktop still knew about all my e-mail accounts right after reinstallation and before I started the e-mail program even though I renamed the xml as you suggested.  Perhaps there is another "preferences" file somewhere that deals specifically with the e-mail proxy that I should rename also.  Maybe the problem is sticking around because the e-mail account settings for decryption persisted through the uninstallation and reinstallation.  Any ideas?

Tom Mc's picture

It doesn't seem like your PGP messaging policies would be the problem, but you may want to try renaming PGPpolicy.xml

Jerry-K's picture

I'm about to give up.  Any other ideas?  Or, should I look into submitting a bug report?

Thanks for trying,

Jerry

Tom Mc's picture

I can't offer anything more on this.  It seems like if someone else here could help that they would have by now.

Alex_CST's picture

The PGP Installer (for some reason) doesnt alert you that you need to disable UAC when you install, it does not load the service.

Re-install PGP with UAC disabled, when install is completed you can re-enable UAC

Please mark posts as solutions if they solve your problem!

http://www.cstl.com

Jerry-K's picture

Thanks to both of you.  Somehow in my last search of the forums on this matter, I missed the referenced Knowledge Base Article.  I will try it tonight, headed to the office now :-)

-Jerry

Jerry-K's picture

I tried the procedure recommended in the Knowledge Base Article twice.  Each time, after re-installing with UAC off, then turning UAC back on, then downloading e-mail, the downloaded e-mails would not decrypt and there is an entry for the same error message for each attempt.

If it makes any difference, the e-mail program (Eudora 5.2) is running on the C drive, but the mailbox data is on a PGP disk volume.  Also I'm running Avast Internet Security 7.

Any other ideas?  For now I'm back to running the computer with UAC off, which isn't the way I'd like to work, but i'll have to do it if there is no other solution.  Is there an update to PGP Desktop that solves the issue in a better way?

-Jerry

Jerry-K's picture

I just installed the update with UAC off, restarted, turned UAC on, restarted, downloaded e-mail which did not decrypt, and the error message appeared in the log.  I then turned UAC off and the proxy decryption works fine.

Is there any other fix so proxy decryption will work with UAC on?

Is it possible that some registry entries need to be cleaned out after uninstalling per the Knowledge Base Article referred to by Tom Mc?  After uninstalling and reinstalling, all my original settings and license key, etc., remained, so I'm wondering if the offending "setting" remained as well.