Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  PGP Desktop Email 10.1.1 on Windows 7 not working

Posted Jun 30, 2011 12:13 PM

I have installed PGP Desktop Email 10.1.1 on Windows 7 Pro 32 bit.  PGP does not autocreate an account when using Thunderbird or Outlook.  I have tried setting up an account manually, copying all the settings from a working XP machine (except for email address, obviously), but messages are sent unencrypted, apparently untouched by PGP.  No notifications.  No entries in PGP log.  "Use Email Proxy" is checked.  I have uninistalled and reinstalled PGP and Thunderbird. I have PGP installed on an XP machine using the same version of Thunderbird and the same version of PGP, same email provider (but different user) and it works as it should.  What else to try?

• 2.  RE: PGP Desktop Email 10.1.1 on Windows 7 not working

Posted Jun 30, 2011 01:22 PM

This Knowledge Base Article may help. 

Please also check About PGP Desktop, selecting the License button, to make sure that your license is showing that PGP Messaging is shown as included in your license.

• 3.  RE: PGP Desktop Email 10.1.1 on Windows 7 not working

Posted Jun 30, 2011 05:28 PM

Thanks for your response.  Licensing shows active for PGP Messaging.  I checked the KB article and I have tried all those things as well.  It does not seem to be detecting the email account at all.  It will not generate a new service and doesn't work when I manually create a service.  Tried turning off antivirus and Windows firewall. 

• 4.  RE: PGP Desktop Email 10.1.1 on Windows 7 not working

Posted Jun 30, 2011 05:50 PM

I want to make sure that you do not have SSL enabled in your email software?

And that you are not doing any kind of AV or spam scanning of your email?

This KBA might possiblly apply to your situation (esp. if you use GMail).

• 5.  RE: PGP Desktop Email 10.1.1 on Windows 7 not working
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 05, 2011 03:01 PM

I uninstalled and removed the settings folders (http://prowiki.isc.upenn.edu/wiki/Removing_PGP_Desktop) and then reinstalled and all is well.  I had uninstalled before but did not remove settings folders.  I would think that the settings could be changed after the initial installation, but apparently not. 

• 6.  RE: PGP Desktop Email 10.1.1 on Windows 7 not working

Posted Jul 05, 2011 03:12 PM

If you consider this resolved, please use the Mark As Solution on the post that best offers the resolution (It sounds like may be your last post).