File Share Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  PGP Disks broken under Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10

Posted Oct 17, 2014 08:55 AM

Yesterday's release of Apple's OS X Yosemite breaks PGP Disks permanently. The volumes are not seen by Finder, yet SED reports them as mounted. Desktop Encryption is version 10.3.2.15413. It also can't 'unmount' the unseen volumes.

This same issue of PGP Disks apparently being mounted but not showing up on the Desktop has been going on for years, but only very sporadically, and it could always be cured by a hardware restart. Now with 10.10, it's completely broken. All PGP DIsks are useless.

I'd consider this a catastrophic failure, and one which should have been addressed long before this release went public.

• 2.  RE: PGP Disks broken under Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10

Posted Oct 17, 2014 12:05 PM

I hope this was a testing machine. We use SED in the enterprise and have been telling our Mac users that require encryption for months not to upgrade to Yosemite (because we know that it takes weeks to months for Symantec to catch up with the changed OS). We emailed our users a reminder yesterday.

• 3.  RE: PGP Disks broken under Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10

Posted Oct 17, 2014 01:48 PM

Symantec Encryption Desktop version 10.3.2 mp4 is the latest release, but it still does not support Yosemite.  Our support for OS X can be found here:
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH174563

I would advise anyone interested in Yosemite support to open a ticket with technical support, and request Yosemite support.

• 4.  RE: PGP Disks broken under Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10

Posted Oct 19, 2014 04:38 AM

Just a quick note to let anyone else with the same issue know that there is a way of getting the data from the PGP virtual drives in Yosemite...albeit not directly via PGP.

Mount the PGPdisk as normal, then head into Disk Utility, the drive should be listed here labelled as 'Symantec Corporation PGPDisk Media', if it isn't the following won't help, but if it is:

1. Select the PGPdisk;
    2. Then from the Disk Utility menu select File, New>, Disk Image from 'Name of your PGPdisk';
    3. Then select the parameters you want to create the new disk with (which can include encryption).

Obviously this doesn't make the original PGPdisk useable, but it does restore access to the original data without having to move the container to another machine or having to reinstall Mavericks etc.

Given that Disk Utility can obviously 'see' the contents of the PGPdisks when mounted, I can't help thinking that the mounted PGPdisks not appearing in Finder should be a relatively easy fix.

Over to you Symantec dev team, how about a quick patch to get us back up and running?

• 5.  RE: PGP Disks broken under Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10

Posted Oct 20, 2014 06:19 PM

In Yosemite, Apple converts at least some (the boot partition, I guess) from simple HFS+ to a Core Storage volume. I suspect that might actually be a fairly tricky change to deal with.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10/os-x-10-10/2/#installation

• 6.  RE: PGP Disks broken under Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10

Posted Dec 01, 2014 09:26 AM

Thanks AlexDG saved the day.  

• 7.  RE: PGP Disks broken under Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10

Posted Jan 06, 2015 06:06 PM

I realize this is an older thread, but I wanted to save some headaches for anyone wanting to encrypt OS X 10.1.  On another thread, it states that MP6 is compatible with Yosemite and the "problem" solved.  As such, the thread was closed to comments.  The compatibilty with Yosemite is true but misleading.  MP6 is ONLY compatible with the initial 10.0 release.  MP6 does NOT work with the latest point release of OS X, 10.1.

There is no release date for 10.1 compatibilty that I can find, and I believe the release of 10.2 is very close.  However, at least MP6 can be installed safely; it just doesn't recognize the discs for encrypting. 

• 8.  RE: PGP Disks broken under Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10

Posted Jan 12, 2015 10:45 AM

We are having the same issue... 10.3.2 MP6 Installed fine on Yosemite, but after it installed, it does not see the drive to encrypt anything...

We are thinking of trying this:

http://awesometoast.com/yosemite-core-storage-and-partition-woes/

But was wondering if anyone else has had any issues/luck..

Thanks..

• 9.  RE: PGP Disks broken under Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10

Posted Jan 12, 2015 06:29 PM

Addendum to non-bolded comments:

It isn't necessary to enter all that stuff listed in the link you referenced.  Open terminal, enter "diskutil cs revert disk1", then hit enter . Don't enter quotes marks obviously.  I verified my disc is back to "normal"after two reboots to be sure, but MP6 still doesn't recognize the discs to encrypt. At least I'm back to OS Extended (Journaled). 

This tip is not mine, it is also part of the comments to this link.

I hadn't noticed this file system change.  A comment on the link you provided points out why Disc Warrior now has to go through the built-in recovery disc to work; it's non-bootable on its own because of this change.  If Ars can't give a good reason why Apple did this, as technically proficient as they are, then the change was possibly trivial or even unnecessary.

Over the years I've given Symantec a hard time on this forum about never seeming to have timely revisions, particularly at major OS X updates.  Symantec has claimed Apple was making last minute changes that made it impossible for a timely Symantec response, as was the case with 10.0 and now 10.1, and others in the past.  Maybe Apple has a good reason known only to them for the change, but after this I'm at least inclined to cut Symantec some, maybe alot, of slack.  

Wikipedia indicates that Core Storage is generally a good thing, and has been around since Lion, [hidden?] but if it's beneficial, it's over my pay grade, so to speak.

In any event, I think I'll try this also.  Even if it blows up, with a good backup and no encryption, reverting to the backup would take maybe an hour, tops.  Thanks!