File Share Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  PGP WDE 10.0.3 hangs post-encryption on my Windows 7 64-bit install on Dell Inspiron 15

Posted Jul 06, 2012 09:28 PM

I upgraded my computer recently and moved my PGP WDE 10.0.3 to my new Dell Inspiron Laptop - Windows 7 64-bit.

After encrypting the hard drive, my computer would no longer boot -- it hangs at the Bootloader message.

I then did a little research, and it seems that this is a known issue with these laptops.

So, I was able to remove the drive, connect it via a SATA USB cable to a different computer, and thankfully Decrypt and re-access the drive.

I have now replaced the drive in the original laptop, and it works fine again.  Whew!

But now, I'd still like to encrypt this drive.  When I login to the licensing section, it only gives me an option to download my 10.0.3 version.  Is there a way I can encrypt this Windows 7 drive without having to purchase a new version of the software?  To be hinest, all of the prior discussions confuse me.

Thanks so much.

• 2.  RE: PGP WDE 10.0.3 hangs post-encryption on my Windows 7 64-bit install on Dell Inspiron 15

Posted Jul 06, 2012 10:56 PM

It might help if you cite what you believe to be the problem with using your current PGP version.  It might be something that was fixed in a more recent version.  If you believe that you should be eligible for a free newer version, you should contact Customer Care

• 3.  RE: PGP WDE 10.0.3 hangs post-encryption on my Windows 7 64-bit install on Dell Inspiron 15

Posted Jul 06, 2012 11:25 PM

My issue was very similar to the ones people referenced in the thread I'm linking below, but I'm honestly not sure what the solution is.

It seems like there is some sort of graphics issue once encrypted.  Sometimes when I boot up, it hangs at the bootloader2 message.  Sometimes, it flashes the PGP login page, then quickly fades away, until my screen is flickering black with a blinking cursor. 

Again, once I removed the hard drive, decrypted it, and re-installed it, the computer booted up just fine.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/pgp-wde-boot-screen-bypassed-stage-2-initializing-loader-error-cannot-authenticate-bootguard-

• 4.  RE: PGP WDE 10.0.3 hangs post-encryption on my Windows 7 64-bit install on Dell Inspiron 15

Posted Jul 06, 2012 11:26 PM

Oh... and the recovery disk didn't get me any farther.  The PGP screen came on.  It didn't ask me to enter a password.  It just said "press any key to continue," but then I could get no further again.

• 5.  RE: PGP WDE 10.0.3 hangs post-encryption on my Windows 7 64-bit install on Dell Inspiron 15

Posted Jul 07, 2012 07:54 AM

Do you have a Sandy Bridge processor?

• 6.  RE: PGP WDE 10.0.3 hangs post-encryption on my Windows 7 64-bit install on Dell Inspiron 15

Posted Jul 07, 2012 05:12 PM

I'm not sure what that is, to be honest.  When I click on System Properties, it shows:

Processor:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 460 @ 2.53GHz  2.53 GHz

• 7.  RE: PGP WDE 10.0.3 hangs post-encryption on my Windows 7 64-bit install on Dell Inspiron 15
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 07, 2012 06:47 PM

From what I'm finding that is not a Sandy Bridge processor, so although you appear to be having a bug that may be fixed in a newer version of PGP than you have, you may not need the current PGP version that is known to address the Sandy Bridge issue.  I'd suggest that you download and install the current Trial version to see if this lets you successfully encrypt your disk.  If it does, you will know that the problem is related to your current version, rather than something else within your system. 

• 8.  RE: PGP WDE 10.0.3 hangs post-encryption on my Windows 7 64-bit install on Dell Inspiron 15

Posted Jul 07, 2012 07:01 PM

I will give that a try.  Thanks.

• 9.  RE: PGP WDE 10.0.3 hangs post-encryption on my Windows 7 64-bit install on Dell Inspiron 15

Posted Jul 08, 2012 05:51 PM

Yep.  That worked!  My laptop is now encrypted AND functional.

Thanks for helping me out. 

• 10.  RE: PGP WDE 10.0.3 hangs post-encryption on my Windows 7 64-bit install on Dell Inspiron 15

Posted Jul 08, 2012 05:57 PM

You are very welcome.  Please use the Mark As Solution option on the post with the helpful suggestion.