File Share Encryption

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

PGP WDE 10.1.1 crashed HDD with recovery, C:, and D: partitions

• 1.  PGP WDE 10.1.1 crashed HDD with recovery, C:, and D: partitions

Posted Apr 06, 2011 02:04 PM

Good evening,

I installed PGP 10.1.1 and ran WDE on disk 0, containing three partitions: recovery (lenovo), C: (boot), D: (data). The system hung on reboot at the PGP login screen (as I'd made the decryption login the windows login).

I finally restored C: to its state prior to the 10.1.1 install, then I reinstalled PGP. However, partition D is not seen by PGP desktop nor through the command line entries I've attempted to use.

Would it be safe to assume that WDE rebooted the laptop after the completion of WDE, and that D is still encrypted? If so, is there a command line string I can utilize to find and decrypt/resume decryption of D? If not, what are some options? Thank you for your time and assistance.

• 2.  RE: PGP WDE 10.1.1 crashed HDD with recovery, C:, and D: partitions

Posted Apr 06, 2011 03:51 PM

Your restoration of C: may have removed or moved the PGP bootloader, which might possibly mean that decryption of D: is not possible.  This Knowledge Base Article may be helpful.  Your options include trying the PGP WDE Recovery CD - the KBA includes a link to download the needed image; and slaving the drive to another computer with PGP installed.