Expand all | Collapse all

PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Migration User

Migration UserFeb 16, 2011 10:55 AM

Migration User

Migration UserFeb 19, 2011 04:10 PM

• 1.  PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 10, 2011 04:15 PM

Some of our users inadvertently applied the patch KB2393802 and after doing so, started having very strange behavior with their encrypted drives.  The user would log in at the BootGuard screen and into Windows (XP sp3) as per normal however, after the first reboot after that, the user's network password no longer worked at the BootGuard screen.  A WDRT was provided which allowed the user to boot to a Windows GINA where they logged in with their network ID and password, then the computer would blue screen and reboot again.  The original user could no longer successfully log into the computer however, a user who had never logged into that computer before could log in (after using a WDRT) successfully with no ill effects. The new user could log in at the BootGuard screen with no problems.  If the original user attempted to log in, the computer would blue screen.  The only solution we've found so far is to log in by whatever means necessary and uninstall the patch. Once that's done, everything works again.  Has anyone seen this before?

• 2.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 10, 2011 11:07 PM

We're looking into this. However, it seems to be a fairly common issue with the update from Microsoft. This may indicate that it is a general problem, not an incompatibility with Whole Disk Encryption.

See http://www.google.com/search?q=KB2393802. Currently the first two pages are dominated by links about problems with this update.

Bryan

• 3.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 11, 2011 08:03 AM

We have had several machines with the issue.  pgpwded.sys is causeing the blue screen after the windows update was installed.  Uninstalling KB2393802 from safemode fixes the issue.  We even reimaged a test machine it worked fine with the update without pgp installed. Reimaged again, installed PGP, then the update and got the blue screen.

• 4.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 11, 2011 03:33 PM

Have just been dealing with microsoft through premier online and have been working a case on this one.  XPproSP3 with PGP 9.9.1 installed.  it appears to crash against PGPwded.sys   upgraded to 10.0.3 - system restarted 2-3 times and then BSOD again.

• 5.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 14, 2011 02:32 AM

Thanks for the updates.

The engineering team has tested this update repeatedly across a number of versions and hasn't been able to duplicate it at this time. Maybe a combination of factors is required to generate this error.

Could you provide some additional information on your configuration, including:

1. Did you install the KB from WSUS, manual download, or automatic updates?
    2. What version of Windows (if you haven't already mentioned it above)? 32- or 64-bit?
    3. What version and build of PGP WDE? If not on the latest version (10.1.1), is it possible to upgrade and try again?
    4. What specific laptop hardware make and model?
    5. Which anti-virus software is running? Any other apps that might be unusual or could hook into the kernel?

Thanks,
    Bryan

• 6.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 14, 2011 12:25 PM

We have this issue only with laptops using Windows XP Professional 32bit and PGP WDE 10.0.2 (Build 13) (PGP SDK 4.0.0). Our Windows 7 Professional laptops have not been affected (they are updated regularly). These are various model laptops, but mostly newer HP Elitebooks and Probooks. We use Trend Officescan for antivirus (it is kept up to date). Users reported thier password no longer worked from the PGP login screen. We were able to use the administrator password then CTRL+ALT+DEL to get them logged in. Some users reported even after doing that, a BSOD occurs sometime after logging back in. These updates were installed via automatic updates. 

Thanks for any help

• 7.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 14, 2011 12:32 PM

Here is the information for the machines:

Windows XP Professional 32bit

PGP 9.12.0 build 1035 sdx 1.12.0

It is effecting only our Lenovo x201 and t410

We also use Trend Officescan for antivirus. 

Out updates came in from Automatic updates and we use the single sign on, so no Ctrl-Alt-Del screen

• 8.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 14, 2011 01:10 PM

May not be for everyone.

We upgraded our Keyserver to latest 3 version.  So far we are getting calls from our Users with 10.0.2 pgp client (WinXP SP3 Lenovo T410s)

We uninstalled KB2393802 via safemode.

Restarted.

Installed new 10.1.1

Restarted.

Reinstalled KB2393802

Restarted once more.  No problems so far.

• 9.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 14, 2011 03:15 PM

I have a dozen HP laptops (ProBooks, Compaq's, etc.) running 32 bit XP SP3 and they all had the same problem after installing KB2393802 with PGP WDE 9.9 through 10.0.3.  The instructions above from jguzman are working for me so far.  Thanks!

• 10.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 14, 2011 03:20 PM

Did you have to decrypt then re-encrypt to upgrade PGP?

• 11.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 14, 2011 04:29 PM

Great to hear... tm797.

We didn't have to decrypt/re-encrypt just installed the new 10.1.1 client on top of 10.0.2. 

But according to PGP before the switch to Symantec Support the Technician said you cannot go from 3.1 from 3.0 directly on the Keyserver.

You have to go to 3.0.1 or 3.0.2 (we upgraded first to 3.0.2) on the keyserver then we did 3.1.  Then we pushed out 10.1.1 clients.

• 12.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 15, 2011 09:05 AM

While upgrading to 10.1.1 seems to have resolved the issue, I did a decrypt and re-encrypt on one of my 12 laptops with this issue and got the same BSOD.  If you upgrade to 10.1.1 and do nothing else, your machine will probalby run fine.  But when I ran a decrypt after upgrading to 10.1.1, I got a BSOD about half way through.  Then when starting the re-encrypt this morning, I got it again.  The dump file has the same parameters as the original issue after installing KB2393802, so there still seems to be an issue with the Windows Kernel and pgpwded.sys.  The laptop restarted properly from the BSOD and is continuing to re-encrypt, but Symantec needs to take another look at this.

The laptop with the issue is a HP ProBook 4520s, running 32-bit XP SP3, fully patched, with SEP11 and PGP WDE 10.1.1.  Now the BSOD occurs when decrypting and encrypting the whole disk, which is better than getting the original BSOD that prevented proper startup of the machine.

• 13.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 15, 2011 11:39 PM

Thanks for posting the information above. After reviewing a number of memory dump files, our engineering team has determined the following:

• Windows XP leaves approximately 12,000 bytes of shared stack space for kernel modules to share.
    • Windows provides no way to identify available stack space; it just BSODs when the stack overruns.
    • PGP WDE 10.0.2 and below use approximately 600 bytes of stack space.
    • In the PGP WDE 10.1, we proactively reduced this to approximately 100 bytes of stack space.
    • KB 2393802 leaves less stack space available in the Windows kernel for other kernel modules to use.
    • PGP WDE (pgpwded.sys) is generally the last driver loaded. As a result, when we try to grab our modest stack space, the blue screen will display our driver name as the responsible driver.
    • In our testing, almost every system suffering from this problem used the Intel graphics driver. This uses about 7,000 bytes(!) of stack space. Without this single driver using over half of this available shared resource, there would be plenty of room for the WDE driver.

The above explains a number of items:

• Why the problem occurs on some systems but not others
    • Why it occurs without PGP WDE installed
    • Why it occurs most often on Win XP
    • Why we did not see this in our testing

Our current recommendation is to upgrade to PGP WDE 10.1.1; the lower stack utilization allows it to fit in the reduced area. Thus far, we have not seen a case where this did not fix the problem; the reduction in available stack space from the MS patch must be less than 500 bytes.

As said in a message above, there is no need to decrypt your disk before upgrading to 10.1, though we do recommend a backup as a basic best practice.

Also, we have not been able to duplicate this on Windows 7. If you have seen this issue on Win7, please post here and let us know if we can reach out to you to see what's happening.

Unfortunately, this is a difficult situation for a software vendor like us. We're doing the right thing in minimizing our use of the stack - in fact, we proactively reduced it further before this issue even occurred. However, a combination of other programs' behavior and our position in the driver loading process (probably because we were installed last) makes Windows crash with the finger pointing at us.

Please leave a note here if you use the Intel graphics driver and have seen this issue. I'll be reaching out to Intel to see if they can update their video driver to minimize stack usage.

My apologies to anyone affected by this issue.

Bryan Gillson

• 14.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 16, 2011 10:55 AM

Bryan are you also contacting Microsoft?

• 15.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 16, 2011 03:42 PM

How do I upgrade PGP Desktop WDE? Do I have to upgrade the server first? I create the installs for my laptops from the server. When I try to update the server, it finds no updates.

• 16.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 16, 2011 04:34 PM

What version(s) of the Intel graphics driver were they using during their tests?

• 17.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 16, 2011 04:43 PM

After upgrading and allowing the patch to reinstall now we're seeing the systems go into a hard crash, with a black screen and a flashing cursor, just after entering your password. Any ideas what may be causing this or how to stop it or recover from it.

• 18.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 17, 2011 04:22 AM

I hadn't considered it, but it's worth a shot. We have a good relationship with them.

The cynic in me says that their response will be "it's my kernal and I'll allocate what I want to", but they can actually be fairly understanding when given the right information. Thanks for the suggestion.

• 19.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 17, 2011 04:30 AM

Yes, you will need to update the server first. You should find a PUP update to PGP Universal 3.1.1 in Symantec FileConnect. It contains an update to the embedded copies of Desktop.

Note that we no longer use the PGP Update Server after the transition to Symantec systems, so all updates will now be on FileConnect.

If you haven't logged into FileConnect yet, you will need a Symantec customer number (they call it a serial number). Either you've received this in an email, or you should contact Customer Care for the information for your company. Contact info is here: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/assistance_care.jsp

Needless to say, please follow all best practices before updating your server, including backups, reading the release notes, etc. If you're on PGP Universal version 3.1, the update should be seamless; 3.0.x, pretty straightforward; 2.x, it's a big deal.

• 20.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 17, 2011 04:42 AM

Timon0x31, sorry you're still having trouble. First, remove the MSFT KB patch and see if the system returns to normal booting.

Then, please open a support case and report the problem. Make sure they know you're running 10.1.1, still have an issue with the MSFT KB2393802 patch, and provide your operating system version, hardware make and model, and other info.

It's /possible/ that this is a different issue. Are you running XP or Win7? An HP laptop?

• 21.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 17, 2011 05:48 AM

Unfortunately I don't have the version number. A comment in our tracker identifies the driver as igxpmp32.sys, but does not specify the version.

Bryan

• 22.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 17, 2011 11:16 AM

FYI, you don't even get to the point where you can select SafeMode. As soon as you enter your password in the PGP screen you go to a black screen with a flashing cursor in the upper left corner. This is happening on Lenovo ThinkPad, the THREE that I have are all T410's but other in the company are also failing. Does not seem to happen on other notebooks.

• 23.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 17, 2011 04:11 PM

Some of you that are still experiencing this problem. Including those that are on PGP Desktop 10.1.x. Please provide us with as much of the following details from the affected computers as possible:

- Operating System and Service Pack level

- What version of PGP Desktop you are running. As well as the setup of your environment. Such as: PGP Desktop with Universal version 3.x or PGP Desktop in a Standalone Configuration (no PGP Universal Server)

- What make/model of computer you have

- When the problem started occuring? (ie. after MS update, or after a driver update).

- What version of Intel Graphics driver you are running (or if you have another Graphics card and driver version)

- What Antivirus client and version you are running

- Steps to reproduce the problem

- Are you using PGP Desktop in a SSO (Single-Sign-On) configuration with Bootguard or just using a PGP passphrase

- Does uninstalling the KB 2393802 resolve your issue?

- Whether an update of PGP Desktop 10.1 or disabling SSO resolves the issue you are seeing

I would also suggest that you look at your hardware manufacturers website to see if there are any updates to your Intel Graphics card driver.

The more information we can get on this issue the better. Unfortunately, the issue isn't widespread enough that we can re-produce the problem here with our testing and we need as much information as possible to help us get to the bottom of the problem.

• 24.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 18, 2011 10:03 AM

- Operating System and Service Pack level

XP Pro, SP3 - fully patched

- What version of PGP Desktop you are running. As well as the setup of your environment. Such as: PGP Desktop with Universal version 3.x or PGP Desktop in a Standalone Configuration (no PGP Universal Server)

PGP WDE 10.0.3 originally.  The computer would not startup properly after installing KB2393802 at this version level of PGP.

After updating to PGP WDE 10.1.1, the computer started up properly even with KB2393802.  However, when opening the PGP Desktop and starting a decrypt or encrypt of the hard drive, the same BSOD occurs and causes the computer to restart - which is does properly.  Then you have to re-open the PGP desktop and resume the task.

- What make/model of computer you have

HP ProBook 4520s, which is 5 months old.

- When the problem started occuring? (ie. after MS update, or after a driver update).

After installing MS Update KB2393802

- What version of Intel Graphics driver you are running (or if you have another Graphics card and driver version)

Intel driver version 6.14.10.5179 dated 2/8/10, which is the latest one on HP's website for this computer.

- What Antivirus client and version you are running

SEP 11.0.6a

- Steps to reproduce the problem

Simpy open and close the PGP WDE 10.1.1 Desktop and it will eventually BSOD with KB 2393802 installed.  If you do not open/close the PGP Desktop, the comuter seems to run ok, but time will tell.

- Are you using PGP Desktop in a SSO (Single-Sign-On) configuration with Bootguard or just using a PGP passphrase

PGP passphrase with 100% disk encryption.

- Does uninstalling the KB 2393802 resolve your issue?

Yes.

- Whether an update of PGP Desktop 10.1 or disabling SSO resolves the issue you are seeing 

Update to 10.1.1 appears to have resolved the isssue, as long as you don't open/close the PGP Desktop.  If I open the PGP Desktop and/or start a task to decrypt or encrypt the drive, the same BSOD will occur at some point.

• 25.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 18, 2011 10:41 AM

This is a link to an article I found on Microsoft Technet with a similar issue. The interesting part there is that I have, at least in one case, another person reporting the same issue with the EXACT same version of Intel Graphics driver. Another user later down in the thread reported that updating their video card driver fixed it.

Maybe an contact to your hardware manufacturer might be in order? At least I have some more data that we can test with also. I will post an update here on this forum as we find any new information.

• 26.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 18, 2011 10:42 AM

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverwsus/thread/5f27ee0e-d6bf-4dfa-afa0-49cec67b2ec7

Maybe an contact to your hardware manufacturer might be in order? At least I have some more data that we can test with also. I will post an update here on this forum as we find any new information.

• 27.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 18, 2011 11:32 AM

Thank you for the detailed information. This will help us with our testing.  Are you sure that the Intel driver version 6.14.10.5179 dated 2/8/10 is the latest version of the driver for that system? Have you tried the HP Softpaq Download manager to check for an update? I have a much newer version on my Lenovo T61 tablet pc and that machine is older than your HP system. This Lenovo is proabbly a year old.  I DID happen to notice that the .5179 version of the driver is the original driver release for my machine, and they have released 5 or 6 driver updates since then.

If they don't have an updated Intel Graphics card driver for you. I would highly suggest you contact HP and let them know the problems that you are seeing and ask them if there is another place you can download an updated version of the driver from (I have seen times where certain HP models won't get new drivers posted for XP because they are trying to move everybody on to Windows 7. But another similar HP model, with the same graphics card for example, will have the driver updates on their page).

• 28.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 18, 2011 12:04 PM

I was wondering if you are still getting the blinking cursor after you put in your PGP password with Bootguard? If so, I would suggest trying a recovery cd for that version of PGP desktop. Our support should be able to help you. But I am curious what version of PGP Desktop you are on also Timon. because there has been a known bug for some time on certain machines with what is called the "Insyde bios" where it freezes on bootup. The fix is to upgrade to 10.1.1 SP1 and that should resolve the issue.

• 29.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 18, 2011 12:10 PM

I upgraded my Intel Graphic Driver for Windows XP with the version 6.14.10.5313 from the Intel website.
    I have no more bluescreen after installing KB2393802. I didn't upgrade PGP (I'm running version 10.0.1 on Dell Latitude E6510). 

• 30.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 18, 2011 12:42 PM

comments like these are helpful to know. Please let us know if upgrading the Intel graphics card driver worked for you.  One thing to mention. I have been able to reproduce the problem now by taking a non-affected machine and rolling back the Intel Graphics card driver on the machine (after the KB2393802 update was already installed). I'm stuck in a continuous reboot loop now with a bluescreen error.

Trying to uninstall the hotfix got me past the boot screen but it comes to a blank wallpaper and ctrl-alt-del won't work to allow me to login to the system.  At this point, I'm testing an upgrade back to the newer intel driver to see if that fixes it. 

• 31.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 18, 2011 01:01 PM

Everything is working fine with the Intel Driver version 6.14.10.5313 (from Intel web site).  I had a bluescreen with version 6.14.10.5225.

• 32.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 18, 2011 02:13 PM

After upgrading PGP Universal Server to 3.1 and PGP Desktop to 10.1.1, I have a user who is still crashing after the update.

Windows XP Pro SP3, fully updated.

Trend Officescan 10

He does have the intel hardware. I have not udated it yet.

I'll be getting his laptop this evening and will have it all of next week to test and troubleshoot, try different things, etc... including updating drivers.

• 33.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 19, 2011 04:09 PM

Had bluescreen because of the windows update.  

Boot into safemode

Uninstall the culprit windows update

Reboot the server

Download the latest video driver for my lenovo x201 and installed it.

Went to Microsoft site and download the xp version of the windows update

REinstall windows update. 

No more bluescreen.

Running lenovo x201 with xp sp3.  PGP whole disk encryption client version 10.0.3

• 34.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 19, 2011 04:10 PM

x201 system has the intel graphics HD embedded

• 35.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 20, 2011 03:02 PM

Can you let me know if the intel driver resolves your issue?  I just upgraded our servers to 3.1.0 (not for this issue) and we have a handful of users with this problem.  They all have HP hardware i would prefer to not have to upgrade clients to 10.1 just for this issue, we havent properly tested it yet.

• 36.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 22, 2011 10:31 AM

It's good to know those of you that have updated the Intel graphics driver are not experiencing the blue-screen errors any more. Could we please have more people post updates as they update the driver, if it fixes their problem? It would be good to have a database here of known good drivers to test with.

• 37.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 22, 2011 01:40 PM

We had 5 machines with this issue, all HP hardware.  We are running 9.12 client version and only using WDE.  Desktop guys updated intel video drivers to version 6.14.10.5303 (they all had lower versions).  They applied the patch back and are reporting the machine working normally now.

• 38.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 24, 2011 11:00 AM

Yep, updating the Intel graphics drivers worked.  HP's website had an older version for my laptops, but downloading the latest from Intel's site directly appears to have resolved this issue.  Thanks!

• 39.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 24, 2011 04:12 PM

I am investigting the same problem and just found the reference to the Microsoft Security Update.  We are running Windows 7 on Lenovo T510's model 4349W85.  I had 7 of these running Windows 7 and PGP WDE version 10.0.2.  I automatically pushed the PGP update to 10.1.0 and shortly thereafter, all the computers around January - February, started blue screening.  I have taken out the hard drives and decrypted them and the blue screens stops.  Can I re encrypt after removing the Security update?  What is the proper solution from Symantec?

These laptops have nVidia graphics cards.

• 40.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 24, 2011 07:00 PM
    We are receiving mixed reports from clients as far uninstall that update and having it fix the issue. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I'm not sure if you are seeing that exact same bug as the one described in this thread though.  I would suggest contacting our support if you haven't already so that they can get working on the case and gather all the details from you.
    Things to try obviously:
    - Update the nvidia graphics driver and chipset driver (if it's all nvidia integrated).
    - After uninstalling the KB, does that fix the issue for hard drives that are encrypted and using SSO with the PGP bootguard screen
    - It would be helpful to get with support and give them copies of your crash dumps and driver version information and everything so that we can investigate that issue further
    Our support line is 1(800)342-0652 or you can submit a ticket at http://my.symantec.com. That might be more helpful considering that the Nvidia/windows 7 KB update w/ blue-screen issue might be somewhat related to what we are seeing here. But even development couldn't see the complete relationship between the two issues so it would be best to contact us and let us file a NEW bug for that if needed.

• 41.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Feb 25, 2011 10:05 AM

Thanks for the reply.  I do have a support case in and I have included much more detail and some winaudit files as well.  Hope we can reach a solution soon.

• 42.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Mar 05, 2011 02:50 AM

My system reboots inside the boot, when the drivers are loading, after KB2393802 (incidentally, the first KB number that I've memorised), but I don't get a BSOD, it just silently returns to the POST. My system is not set to reboot quietly.

I have Intel(R) Q45/Q43 Express Chipset and PGP WDE 9.10.0.605 (this is a corporate requirement for me, and I see no upgrade path)

• 43.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Mar 08, 2011 11:40 AM

Have you tried updating the Intel Graphics driver per the suggestions in this thread? We have found that this resolves the issues time and time again. It is quite possible that the computer is doing similar behavior as described in this thread. Trying to boot the OS and then failing, becuase of the overflow of the stack and then forcing a reboot of the machine.

That would be my suggestion. Also PGP Desktop 9.10 is no longer supported once April 21st 2011 hits. I would highly suggest that you request your corporation to upgrade your version of PGP Desktop.

• 44.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Apr 01, 2011 05:51 AM

Yes, upgrading to Intel Video driver 6.14.10.5303 was a workaround. Unfortunately, that introduced an annoying blinking when my displays come out of power-saving mode (up to 12 blinks, and 12 "Device Connected" sounds). I'm reporting this through Lenovo Support to Intel, but I'm not optimistic unless someone like Barack Obama gets the same problem...

I'll mention the PGP 9.10 support to the powers that be in IBM.

Incidentally, I'm not here looking for support, but I have to say that your analysis of the problem was spot on, and let me directly to the solution. Thank you!

• 45.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Apr 06, 2011 07:51 AM

Good afternoon,

I installed PGP WDE 10.1.1 on a Lenovo 500. Disk 0 has three partitions: sytem recovery, C: and D:. I utilized WDE on the entire disk, not knowing that WDE should only be used on partitions of boot disk drives with system recovery partitions (I didn't find this out until the system hung at reboot). There were no PGP recovery discs made, as the system didn't reboot.

Long story short. I was able to recover the C: partition with a backup which predated the 10.1.1 install. However, D: is still showing as not formatted, and after reinstalling PGP 10.1.1, PGP will not see the partition. Using the command pgpwde --enum, the read out displayed:

Disk 0 has 1 online volumes:

Volume C is on partition 1 with offset 63

It doesn't recognize D at all. Can I use the command line to continue encryption on a partition which is not identified by PGP command line. Already ran full SPINRITE on the drive.

Thanks.

T

• 46.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Apr 06, 2011 11:31 AM

I would highly recommend creating a new forum article for his problem that you are describing. This problem that you are describing has nothing to do with the original thread which was about a blue screen of death due to a microsoft update.  Posting here may not get you answers and  will clutter up the original thread discussion.

Thank you,

Ben

• 47.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Apr 15, 2011 10:46 AM

i wonder why  there is not an official article on this?

• 48.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Apr 20, 2011 07:16 PM

I cannot able to decrypt the disk. when i press decrypt button i am getting  device decryption policy does not allow to decrypt the disk.

• 49.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Apr 21, 2011 07:18 AM

I am a standalone/independant user with HP Laptop with Windows Vista Ultimate and PGP WDE v10.?.?  After major Windows update last week it would get to windows start-up screen then crash.  When trying to recover the machine suffered BSOD when selecting Safe Mode & Advanced but with other two options the machine goes to back screen then restarts.

I am unable to get into the machine to make neccessary changes to Windows to resolve the issue.

My thinking is to obtain a fresh version of PGP to decrypt hard drive and upgrade WIndows accordingly?

Please advise. 

• 50.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Apr 21, 2011 08:45 AM

If you can't access Windows, it appears that your decryption options are to use the WDE Recovery CD (image for this is available via this Knowledge Base Article), or to slave the disk to another computer with PGP installed.

• 51.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Apr 21, 2011 10:50 AM

The recovery cd's only run in a 16-bit mode and if you have to decrypt the entire hard drive using that, it can take days on a 200GB or larger disk.  Hooking it up on another sata/ide channel or using a usb to sata or ide converter will be much faster. Just my two cents...

There are also other recovery options using WinPE you can look at the following article for information on that:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH14963

• 52.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Apr 21, 2011 11:03 AM

I will check into that, I thought a tech article was created. If not, I will see to it that it get's created.

• 53.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Apr 27, 2011 08:13 AM

Unfortunately I could not manage to obtain another version of PGP due to lack of useful information on the Symatec Web site.  Also not able to get any help selecting what software i needed as all has been rebranded to Symantec products.  Looking for resellers but none appeared.

Decrypt took 3.5 days but now I am able to uninstall and look for a better product with better support and after sales.  I cant afford to lose use of Laptop for 4 or 5 days again.

Thanks for above advice though.

• 54.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Apr 29, 2011 05:02 PM

This week, Tuesday or Wednesday, After upgrading from 10.0.3  to 10.1.2 could not decrypt. Passphrase taken ok but then straight to BootGuard and left hanging there. By the way, it did decrypt on first re-boot only after upgrade, as mentioned in first post in this thread.

Old IBM T42, yes with Intel graphics, yes with KB2393802 previously installed under 10.0.3. Had this HD encrypted with no problems whatsoever, since V9 I think.

Using PGP as standalone desktop only - just bog standard - no enterprise issues to worry or think about.

Tried the Image file WDE Recovery (V10.1.2) and worked great, took passphrase ok and decrypted HD (but took about 12hrs) - thanks for the tip about sticking it on a USB Caddy and decrypting using main PC (takes approx 1 1/2hrs to decrypt that way - unfortunately only tried it after 3 times at 12hrs, should have done it straight away - duh!). I have encrypted and decrypted approx 6 times - lucky I have taken some time off after Easter.

Tried everything mentioned in this thread. Had the latest Intel drivers from Intel and also went back to the drivers stated in the Lenovo site for my laptop. On them now but got the same problem.

I eventually, after trying everything mentioned in this thread, trust me on this (KB2393802 out and back in again, etc) eventually went back to V10.0.1. All working okay (booted twice too, actually 6 times, just to be sure). Moved up through V10.0.1 to V10.0.3. All still okay. Then went onto 10.1.2 (latest I believe) and back to same problem - I did not try V10.1.1. My wife is very patient with me but I had to do the dishes sometime this week, so that was why V10.1.1 was not tried. (If a PGP techie, Bryan, wants me to try it I will but please let me know)

So, thanks to Bryan and all the others for the info in this thread. But I will stick with V10.0.3 on my old lappie. (Decrypting my lappie HD on my USB Caddie on my main PC just now and will be sticking the HD back in my lappie and reverting back to V10.0.3 when it is done). Of course, if someone wants to send me a spanking  brand new lappie for free, I will be happy to try V10.1.2 on that.

By the way, running Windows 7 64bit PGP V10.1.2 okay on main PC.

Regards to everyone and hope all your problems with this get sorted.

.......kljadsfhlkjahdsfkjhadskfjhfd

• 55.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted Apr 29, 2011 05:06 PM

Sorry, it is a ThinkPad T43 and it is running on Windows XP

• 56.  RE: PGP WDE blue screen after KB2393802

Posted May 17, 2011 04:14 PM

KNOWN GOOD VERSIONS OF THE DRIVER AND BAD VERSIONS:

I have found that there a few Intel Graphics Media Accelator (integrated
    graphics) drivers that are problematic:

- 6.14.10.5179 - this driver version appears to be the MOST PROBLEMATIC and
    most commonly affected

Known good ones so far: