File Share Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  PGP WDE Issue With Dell Latitude E5420

Posted Jan 01, 2012 11:12 PM

So I have a nightmare on my hands.

I have a Dell Latitude E5420 laptop running Windows 7 Professional x32 fully patched, with Symantec End Point Protection 12 installed.

I have tried to encrypt this laptop using the latest version of WDE but on the reboot after the inital encryption I see the gray PGP WDE screen flash up after the BIOS like it wants me to enter my passphrase but, I get a scambled video line on the bottom half of the screen and it flashes right to a loading bootguard. I am unable to get past this screen. I tried the recovery disks, remving the drive and trying to decrypt it on my desktop using the same version and I tried using the tool the Symantec support guy sent me but to no avail I had to reload the OS.

Support told me to try and install WDE again as the laptop must have lost power or something of that nature to mess up the encryption. I re-encrypt using the same version and get the same issue. I tried a new hard drive with WDE 9.5, and I get on the inital reboot I get a new error about a corrupt WDE install, another call back to support and I get the it must be a bad drive. I try a third (brand new right out of the box) drive with the same version and get the same error. I re install the os and try version 10.0.2 ad I recieve the same kind of error as I was originally getting.

I grab another users E5420 (bought at the same time as this one, so same config and age as we buy in batches) and I recieve the same errors as describe above

I have given up on support as I am sick of waiting hours on end for a 10 minute run through of everything I have done and encountered and a 2 minute here try using this and calling back if it does not work. if it does not work it sounds like an issue with the laptop answer. Does any one have any insight on if these laptops are encryptable? This is for a bank and I under time lines with auditors. I can't tell my client that they need to buy new laptops as these have issues with PGP. I would prefer not to move to a differnt product but am willing to do so if I need to. These laptops have integrated graphics so no Optimus to turn on or off.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!! thanks!

• 2.  RE: PGP WDE Issue With Dell Latitude E5420

Posted Jan 02, 2012 08:48 AM

Did you use PGP Desktop 9.5 for all of the disk encryption attempts?  If so, this may be the problem - Windows 7 support did not start until PGP Desktop 9.12.

• 3.  RE: PGP WDE Issue With Dell Latitude E5420

Posted Jan 02, 2012 10:15 AM

No I used 10.0.2 for all the attempts. as well as the latest version

• 4.  RE: PGP WDE Issue With Dell Latitude E5420

Posted Jan 02, 2012 10:54 AM

Most of the possible problem causes I can find that might be related to such behavior are reported to be resolved by at least the PGP 10.2 version.  This Knowledge Base Article might possibly be related. 

• 5.  RE: PGP WDE Issue With Dell Latitude E5420

Posted Jan 03, 2012 05:25 PM

All of your information that you have provided thus far states that you have tested with:

- PGP Desktop 9.5 - Not windows 7 Compatible

- PGP Desktop 10.0.2 - Windows 7 Compatible (unless you have SP1 installed then only 10.1.2 build 9 or newer is supported) but we have a known issue with Dell Latitude E5420 and other laptops with the Intel Sandy Bridge chipset. See his KB article here for more information on this incompatibility and troubleshooting the problem

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH15860

As such, I would recommend decrypting the drive and then upgrading to PGP Desktop 10.2 MP3 (the latest generally available release) and testing with that