File Share Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  PGP WDE Not encrypting after install on Windows 7 64Bit on Dell E6440

Posted Apr 17, 2014 05:20 PM

Hello

I am having an issue with Symantec Encryption Desktop ver 10.3.0.9060 on Windows 7 64bit on a Dell E6440 Notebook.

The issue is after installation and a reboot, the Encryption process does not start using the Single Sign On (Windows Credentials).

When I look at the log, I see:

13:02:05 ----- Encryption Desktop started -----
    13:02:05 Encryption Desktop 10.3.0 (Build 9060) (9060)
    13:02:05 Today's date is Thursday, April 17, 2014
    13:02:05 Email Warning Email proxying has been disabled by the user
    13:02:05 PGP Info Setting logging level to: normal
    13:02:05 Email Warning Email proxying has been disabled by the user
    13:02:08 PGP Info Initiating daily maintenance procedures
    13:23:16 PGP Info Policy update manually invoked
    13:23:16 PGP Info Sending logging data to configuration server
    13:23:16 PGP Info Beginning synchronization with configuration server SERVERNAME
    13:23:23 PGP Info Completed synchronization with configuration server SERVERNAME

And the encryption never starts. Windows 7 32 bit has no issues on the same hardware.

Any Help would be appreciated.

• 2.  RE: PGP WDE Not encrypting after install on Windows 7 64Bit on Dell E6440

Posted Apr 18, 2014 12:50 AM

Hello Andy,

Does encyption works with normal passpharse (Non SSO) user ?

Your issue might be related to incompatibility with Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver, that includes SATA as well.  Update it to at least version 12.9.0.1001,

Check below tech note for more informaiton.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH213383

• 3.  RE: PGP WDE Not encrypting after install on Windows 7 64Bit on Dell E6440

Posted Apr 21, 2014 03:33 PM

Hi Arif,

Thanks for your assistance.

We are currently having the issue with the Dell E6440. However, I took your advise and updated the BIOS and the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver. The issue remains the same.

The LOG shows the communication between the client and the server and the drive shows as  a FIXED drive.

The Log shows:

Beginning sync with configuration server

Sending logging data to configuration server

Completed synch with configuration server.

But the encryption never starts.

I am now using the Encryption Desktop 10.3.0(Build 9307).

I can setup a non-SSO User and Encrypt the machine because or until there is a WDE Administrator account in the User List. When I install Windows 7 32-bit, there is no issue on the same hardware and default drivers from Dell.

• 4.  RE: PGP WDE Not encrypting after install on Windows 7 64Bit on Dell E6440

Posted Apr 22, 2014 12:09 PM

I had similar issue with the Latitude E7440 & E7420, thankfully my drives were encrypting but part of the policy wasn't applying which were all Encryption BootGuard Customization settings and we had problems with external video on boot.  

My logs looked fine, no errors.

We run the same version as you 10.3.0 MP3 Build 9307

The way I fixed mine was to roll BIOS back instead of forward.  A04 worked for us

Hope that helps

• 5.  RE: PGP WDE Not encrypting after install on Windows 7 64Bit on Dell E6440

Posted May 20, 2014 10:10 AM

I have an issue where as we use SEE 8.2.1, with Dell Laptops and desktops, we have recently started using the newer dell Latitude E6x40 series.  We use an image that has windows 7 sp1, 64bit,with SEE 8.2.1 and when we first image the laptops, the usb keyboards and mice on the docking stations work fine, however once the user logs in, setup up their profile & registers SEE and reboots the usb devices still works but a MAJOR lag in the operation of them - user enters their user name - take 2 - 3 minutes before that shows on the screen - initially thought maybe the older keyboard might not have registered correctly, swapped it out - same thing - move it to a different docking station thinking maybe the dock is going bad - it worked great - until the  next time it was rebooted, this is only in the the pre-windows environment, once windows loads everything works just fine - if you open the laptop during the SEE login and use the internal kb & mouse it works fine

This has been on both the E6440 & the E6540's

on the 20 series we found the Otomus setting in the Dell bios that did this same issue, but that option is no longer in the bios, I have tried installing all the dell recommended updates and so far no luck