Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

pgp:generate key (3071:too many user IDs specified)

Created: 04 Apr 2014 • Updated: 07 May 2014 | 7 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi there,

I've just installed PGP commandline 10.0.

I have entered the license info and then I created a new keypair with the command 

pgp --gen-key "NAME <MAIL@AAA.COM>" --key-type rsa --encryption-bits 2048 --signing-bits 2048 --passphrase 'SOMEWORD'

I've repeated this process several times because I'm creating a manual for another department.

In between I've used pgp --remove-key-pair NAME --force to delete the existing keypair.

Suddently I came to a point where I can't create a new keypair anymore, I see the following error message:

pgp:generate key (3071:too many user IDs specified)

What should I do?

Operating Systems:

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

dcats's picture

Hi John7,

How many keypairs do you have?
Have you attempted to create a new keyring (before, backup the existing one, just in case)?

References:
PGP Command Line 10.x List Of Commands/Options - TECH148895
HOW TO: Use PGP Command Line to Create and Manage PGP Keys - HOWTO41935

Rgs,
dcats

John7's picture

I have only one eypair on;ly its seems to be empty.

When I choose pgp --list-keys the result is 0 keys found

When I choose pgp --create-keyrings I get 1008:keyring already exists

When I move the keyrring files to another location and use the command pgp --create-keyrings the keypair is generated.

Then when I try to genreate the keyp[air aagain I get the same error messsage 3071:too many user IDs specified

when I choose pgp --remove-key-pair "NAME <mail@adress.com>" I see 2002:key to edit not found

When I uninstall the whole softwar, restart the server and install it again I get the same problem after licensing the software.

Alex_CST's picture

What OS are you installing on?  On windows the keys by default will be in your My Documents folder.

Please mark posts as solutions if they solve your problem!

http://www.cstl.com

John7's picture

I'm installing on W2k8 R2

I've added the system variable:

PGP_HOME_DIR

D:\DATA\PGP

Alex_CST's picture

Is there anything inside this when you uninstall?

Please mark posts as solutions if they solve your problem!

http://www.cstl.com

John7's picture

I've just installed the software on another system and I'm getting the same error message.

could this be related to my license?

John7's picture

I found out that I was missing one - sign in my command line... thanks for your help all!

SOLUTION