Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  PGPtray.exe using 50% CPU on Windows Server 2008 R2

Posted Mar 15, 2012 04:43 PM

I am running a Windows Server Standard 2008 R2. It is running the remote desktop services (terminal server). I installed PGP Desktop Professional 10.1.0 [Build 860], 64-bit onto the server.

When a user logs in to the server, I notice that the PGPtray.exe *32 service takes up 50% of the CPU. When a second user logs in, the CPU goes to 100% with two instances of PGPtray.exe *32 running.

I found an article describing a similar problem where unregistering the Netshare DLL (PGPfsshl.dll) would fix this problem. I unregistered the .dll but have seen no change.

Has anyone seen this, and can you point me in the right direction to fix it?

Here are the articles about unregistering the .dll's

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&pmv=print&impressions=&viewlocale=&id=TECH149076

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/pgptray-causing-latency-issues-user

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: PGPtray.exe using 50% CPU on Windows Server 2008 R2

Posted Mar 15, 2012 11:54 PM

Hi,

there's a known issue with PGP tray having high utilization, this is caused by the netshare dll. Unregistering the netshare dll has helped,this issue will be observed when additional user's login and then PGP tray users 50-60% CPU.

check this forums for your reference.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/issue-pgp-desktop-101-using-25-50-processor-time

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/pgptray-causing-latency-issues-user

• 3.  RE: PGPtray.exe using 50% CPU on Windows Server 2008 R2

Posted Mar 16, 2012 08:55 AM

Hi avkas can you tell me how much physical memory and CPU utilized by SSIM and is ther any encryption to collected log / syslog database.

Reagards

KL

• 4.  RE: PGPtray.exe using 50% CPU on Windows Server 2008 R2

Posted Mar 16, 2012 09:50 AM

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I have unregistered the pgpfsshl.dll, and I am seeing no difference.

I log in to the server console as a local administrator. I run "regsvr32 /u pgpfsshl.dll". I get a response saying it was unloaded. I then reboot the server. When it comes back up, the first person logs in and everything is fine, but every person after that the pgptray.exe process takes 50% cpu. If I shut down the pgp desktop services, the cpu drops back down. As soon as I start the services back, the cpu goes right back up with it. 

• 5.  RE: PGPtray.exe using 50% CPU on Windows Server 2008 R2

Posted Mar 16, 2012 10:59 AM

An update:

I uninstalled PGP Desktop and did a reinstall using the .msi file.
    I ran the following command:

Msiexec /I PGPDesktop.msi PGP_INSTALL_NETSHARE=0 PGP_INSTALL_WDE=0

It installed PGP and didnt install the Net Shares or Whole Disk Encryption features. Even after disabling these features, the PGPTray still runs at 50% CPU once the second person logs in.

I verified that these features are not installed by clicking PGP Desktop and confirming they were not there.

• 6.  RE: PGPtray.exe using 50% CPU on Windows Server 2008 R2

Posted Mar 16, 2012 11:14 AM

I went back and uninstalled PGP again and did a reinstall disabling every feature we are not using and the problem still persists. This is the command I ran this time:

Msiexec /I PGPDesktop.msi PGP_INSTALL_NETSHARE=0 PGP_INSTALL_WDE=0 PGP_INSTALL_NOTES=0 PGP_INSTALL_VDISK=0 PGP_INSTALL_LSP=0 PGP_INSTALL_MAPI=0 PGP_INSTALL_GROUPWISE=0 PGP_INSTALL_RDD=0 PGP_INSTALL_MAPI_Plugin=0

• 7.  RE: PGPtray.exe using 50% CPU on Windows Server 2008 R2

Posted Mar 16, 2012 11:55 PM

Hi Kishor,

We welcome your query, but request you to post your queries related to SSIM in SSIM forums.

This the forum for PGP.

• 8.  RE: PGPtray.exe using 50% CPU on Windows Server 2008 R2
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 17, 2012 12:56 AM

Hi,

I think this iaaue was already with development team & supposed to be fixed in 10.2 release.

I would recommend to check with the support wheyther this issue is fixed in 10.2 or not??

Temporarily, you can try removing the pgptray.exe from running in startup. this will stop the issue of high cpu usage.

• 9.  RE: PGPtray.exe using 50% CPU on Windows Server 2008 R2

Posted Mar 21, 2012 12:10 PM

I upgraded to version 10.2 and these problems have now been resolved.