File Share Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  PGPWDE 10.2.0 Laptops in Dock won't boot?

Posted Dec 20, 2011 11:06 AM

We are in the process of updating from 10.0 (and a few older 9.9 installs) to 10.2.0 MP1 in our environment and have noticed that after the upgrade laptops that are in docks that booted fine are no longer booting.  We have 2 different issues.

1.  Docks with Logitech USB HD cameras plugged in will not allow a system to boot.  Once you input your password and hit enter, you will get a verifying authentication... message for about 30 seconds then the system restarts and you go back to the Symantec PGP Desktop login screen.  Happens on HP 8540P, 2540P, 2560P, 8460P, 8440P (all elitebooks in docks)  Disconnect USB camera and system boots correctly.  Doesn't matter which USB port you use.  All are a standardized XP SP3 image, using the most up to date bios for that model and dock firmware as well.  This also has been happening to our Windows 7 systems as well...same hardware and setup.

2.  Same hardware/software as above, but some systems have all of a sudden had their USB keyboard which is connected to the dock stop working until after you have used the internal keyboard to enter your passphrase.  The only thing that has changed on these systems was the PGP upgrade.  Not sure why a newer version of the PGP would cause USB keyboards which were working fine to have issues. 

Any ideas or information on when a newer version MP4 maybe? might be coming out which solves all our PGP problems?  I've tried the MP3 upgrade on one of my test sytems and the USB keyboard functions fine, but the USB camera still causes it to hang and restart so no joy with that.

Thanks,

Jere

• 2.  RE: PGPWDE 10.2.0 Laptops in Dock won't boot?

Posted Dec 21, 2011 07:24 AM

Well, If you are trying to connect a USB Camera, PGP would identify it as a external drive and would try to encrypt...

May be the best practice is to unplug and then login to WDE.

• 3.  RE: PGPWDE 10.2.0 Laptops in Dock won't boot?

Posted Dec 21, 2011 12:46 PM

Karthik,

It doesn't try to encrypt it, but it does appear to be trying to boot from it.  Or at least that is my take on why it hangs when the USB camera is plugged in.  It definitely boots when the device is unplugged or if the USB ports are disabled in the BIOS, but that isn't a solution, just a work around which defeats the purpose of having a dock.  I'm really looking to find out if anyone else has been able to solve this issue and if so, what steps they took to get the system to boot.

• 4.  RE: PGPWDE 10.2.0 Laptops in Dock won't boot?

Posted Dec 22, 2011 10:32 AM

You will need to open a new case to PGP support.
    We can troubleshoot the issue and create a new bug tracking document for developement to solve this hardware/software issues.