Video Screencast Help

Please read TECH156810 before NBU 7.1 upgrade

Created: 15 Apr 2011 • Updated: 08 Jul 2011 | 4 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

If you are planning to upgrade your NetBackup servers to 7.1, please read TECH156810 before you do:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH156810

Symantec hasn't posted this on the Late Breaking News link for NBU 7.1 yet, so I'm hoping this might save some folks a little headache and potentially a LOT of time upgrading.

In a nutshell, there is a problem with the 7.1 installation that will convert your existing NBU policies to a new 7.1 format.  However, it needs to communicate with the NBEMM process on your server, but that process will have been shut down prior to this point in the install.  The install script will still try to convert each Windows policy one at a time and will time out after about 5 minutes or so; this would have taken an additional 6 hours in our enviornment of about 58 Windows policies.

The Tech Note documents a process to skip this step and then run it after the upgrade script completes.  FYI, it's a little involved.

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

thesanman's picture

Even though I tested upgrading v7.0.1 to v7.1 I have yet to do my Production environment.  This would have bitten me big time (5-6 hours delay) so thanks for posting this.

Despite the Technote workaround, wouldn't it be better to simply identify affected clients beforehand and change their definition to a support type?  The technote mentions Windows clients with PC, PC-x64, or PC-IA64 hardware definitions.  I was hoping to identify these beforehand and change them however in my case they're mostly old Win2k servers so they are set as PC/Windows2000 or even PC/WindowsNET.

Was trying to work out wether to use the workaround OR change client definitions beforehand.  Do we know what this conversions process will changes these to?

Thanks

NBU v7.5.0.6 Master and Media servers on RHEL 5/6 & Win2008; SAN based LTO3, 4 and 6 tape libraries
Linux, Solaris, Windows and OpenVMS clients.
PureDisk, SLP, VMware, HyperV, Oracle, Netezza, SQL/Server,

Marianne's picture

TECH156810 is now included in updated 7.1 LBN : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH153422

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

SOLUTION
RonCaplinger's picture

I checked some of the other links on the LBN page, and now ALL of them are linking to that doc.  Or am I the only one that sees that?

bartman10's picture

I'm really questing how Symantec does it's testing. Recient issues with PureDisk, NBU and EEB's really make me wonder...