Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Pointing Mac client to new SEPM 12.1.4

• 1.  Pointing Mac client to new SEPM 12.1.4

Posted May 06, 2014 09:05 AM

Hi,

I was testing deployment SEP clients in my test environment. I am trying to move my test machines to a production environment with new SEPM server. I am able to point the windows sep clients to new SEPM server fine. The issue is with Mac client. I followed the instructions provided here http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH131585. sylink.xml is properly replaced and I restarted the machine. When I go to SEP settings page on the Mac, it is still pointing to the old/test SEPM server.

Any idea what needs to be done to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: Pointing Mac client to new SEPM 12.1.4

Trusted Advisor
    Posted May 06, 2014 09:17 AM

Do you have tamper protection on? If so try turning it off, update policy and try applying the sylink.xml file again. 

• 3.  RE: Pointing Mac client to new SEPM 12.1.4

Posted May 06, 2014 09:28 AM

See this articles

Symantec Endpoint Protection for Macintosh - smcdaemon and syguard processes will not launch on managed workstations

Article:TECH153665 | Created: 2011-02-17 | Updated: 2013-05-24 | Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH153665

• 4.  RE: Pointing Mac client to new SEPM 12.1.4

Posted May 06, 2014 09:41 AM

• 5.  RE: Pointing Mac client to new SEPM 12.1.4

Posted May 06, 2014 09:46 AM

I disabled temper protection, updated the policy and reapplied sylink.xml file but it still does not work. It is still pointing to old SEPM server.

Thanks,

• 6.  RE: Pointing Mac client to new SEPM 12.1.4

Posted May 06, 2014 09:52 AM

stop the symdaemon and backup or rename /Library/Application Support/Symantec/SMC/SyLink.xml and replace it manually with the exported SyLink.xml file from prod

• 7.  RE: Pointing Mac client to new SEPM 12.1.4

Posted May 06, 2014 10:09 AM

Ok. These the steps that I took and it is still not working:

1)sudo /Library/StartupItems/SMC/smclient --stop      (Note: There is a space after sudo and before --stop)

2) renamed the existing SyLink.xml to SyLinkold.xml

3) manually exported SyLink.xml from prod

4)sudo /Library/StartupItems/SMC/smclient --start    (Note: There is a space after sudo and before --start)

It is still reporting to old test SEPM server.

Thanks,

• 8.  RE: Pointing Mac client to new SEPM 12.1.4
    Best Answer

Trusted Advisor
    Posted May 06, 2014 10:21 AM

Maybe uninstall the existing client on the machine and export a new package from the prod SEPM to install on the Mac? 

• 9.  RE: Pointing Mac client to new SEPM 12.1.4

Posted May 06, 2014 10:25 AM

Please share with us the version of OS X and the SEP Mac client.

MJD

• 10.  RE: Pointing Mac client to new SEPM 12.1.4

Posted May 06, 2014 11:02 AM

I just have one test Mac client and not a big deal. I uninstalled the existing SEP client, exported a new package from the prod SEPM and installed it. It is now reporting to new SEPM server.

Thanks,