Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Port 1812 is already in use error

Created: 24 Jan 2008 • Updated: 21 May 2010 | 10 comments

Hello,

I have just installed the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (on Windows 2000 Server, configured as primary domain controller, w/Service Pack 4). During the Management Server Configuration Wizard, I had a couple of problems with the database section. The main part of  the window said "The embedded database requires and uses TCP port 2638, but this port is being used by another application. Change this TCP port number for the embedded database and then complete the installation." But when I tried to change the port, it gave me an error saying that it has to be port 2638. Why does it tell me to change it when it won't even let me?

Then, when I tried to continue anyway, it popped up with the error  that I partly mentioned in the subject: "Port 1812 is already in use. Stop your RADIUS server if you have the Enforcer installed." (What's the Enforcer?) But it continued and acted like it finished. Then it automatically launched the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager Console, and it lets me log in fine, but then if I choose Home, Montiors or Reports it gives me the "This page cannot be displayed error" HTTP 500 - Internal Server error.

Next, I went into the ODBC data sources manager and opened up the DSN called SymantecEnpointSecurityDSN, and clicked 'Test Connection' and it gives me an error message window, that pops up and says "Connection failed: Specified database file already in use".

So are these 3 problems all related? How do I fix this stuff? I do not have RADIUS installed as far as I can tell - I do not have an "Internet Authentication Service" in my services list. I do have Routing and Remote Access installed (but it's set to Windows Authentication). I tried disabling that, and going through the wizard I mentioned at the top of this, but still got the same problems. I do not have any other RADIUS server as far as I can tell.

The only other software that I have on this server is Quickbooks 2007, 2008, CA Brighstor ArcServe Backup, APC PowerChute Business Edition, Symantec Small Business 10.1 and pcAnywhere. I don't think any of these programs use port 1812 though.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments 10 CommentsJump to latest comment

jamieSG's picture

Well, I found my problem.

Somehwere reading through Symantec's documentation I remembered (at least I could've swore I remembered) reading that when you install the SEP software, it installs the Java runtime for you. However, when I was reading one of the articles that said it could produce the problems I was having, it said to make sure that you have a certain Java runtime version, so just for the heck of it I decided to look - and nothing! The Symantec software didn't seem to install any Java software. So I went to Sun's site, downloaded 1.4.2 manually, and installed it. Then when it was possible, I rebooted the server, and voila! The Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager Console did not give me the "This page cannot be displayed error" HTTP 500 - Internal Server errors anymore. Additionally, when I went into the ODBC data sources, and tested the connection for the DSN called SymantecEnpointSecurityDSN, it was successful!

I hope this helps someone someday.

alz's picture

Hi Jamie,

I'm having the same problem as you had, only I can't get any further than to the error message : "The embedded database requires and uses TCP port 2638, but this port is being used by another application. Change this TCP port number for the embedded database and then complete the installation."

How did you get past it?
I'm trying to install it on a win 2000 server with sp4 just as you.
A note: I have not installed Java 1.4.2, was that the only version that worked?

Kedar Mohile's picture

Hello

If you still face the same after changing the ports check the database connectivity throgh ODBC onder Administrativr Tools and let me know the status.

Steps:

1. Go to Start > Administrative Tools >  Data Sources ODBC > Click on System DSN > Click on Configure for SymantecEndpointSecurityDSN
  2. In the Login Tab Enter DBA and enter the SEPM password
  3. In the database tab enter the server name (only server name... complete DNS not required)
  4. Click on Test connection in the first tab
  5. If connection not sucessful login through a console session
  6. Restart IIS

Let s know if still does not resolve...

alz's picture

Hello.
I'm still not getting anywhere with this. I have done a netstat check and no application is using port 2638. I tried to change the port in regedit but I have no "Parameter DWORD Value", only a "Parameter" and I tried to change the port there but I'm assuming that this is the wrong key. But since I can't start the embedded database I can't try it anyway. As I said I'm stuck on creating the database in the Management Server Configuration Wizard.

The version of SEP I'm trying to install is "Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_11.0.1006_MP1_AllWin_EN_SEPM".

Kedars tip about checking the ODBC did not work because I didn't have the SymantecEndpointSecurityDSN in the list.

Is there some obvious step I have missed or do you have any other tips?

Sandeep Cheema's picture
Navigate to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ASANYs_sem5\Parameters

Look for the string parameter on the right hand side of the pane.

It should contain value similar to:

-c 64m -ch 64m -gp 8192 -gc 30 -gr 30 -o "C:\Program Files\Symantec\db\out.log" -oe "C:\Program Files\Symantec\db\err.log" -os 1m -gn 80 -n Vikram "C:\Program Files\Symantec\db\sem5.db" -n sem5 -sb 0 -x tcpip(localonly=yes;port=2638)

Change the port from 2638 to 2639.

Run the management (re)configuration wizard and see if it gets across this time.

De facto when AV does something, it starts jumping up and down, waving its arms, and shouting...

"Hey!  I found a virus!  Look at me!  I'm soooo goooood!"

alz's picture

I have tried this but still not able to start the database.

Sandeep Cheema's picture
Edit the server.xml in the "%Program Files%\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection manager\tomcat\conf"

Change 9090 to 9091
Change 8005 to 8006
Change 2638 to 2639(The same as the registry port)

Recycle the IIS and reconfigure again.

De facto when AV does something, it starts jumping up and down, waving its arms, and shouting...

"Hey!  I found a virus!  Look at me!  I'm soooo goooood!"

Kedar Mohile's picture

Hello

Try the steps posted by sandeep they should work even if you face the same issue check If you are logged in with a remote desktop session

If yes do establish a session by following the steps below:

1. Start
  2. Run
  3. mstsc /console

Let us know if you still cannot start the database service...:smileytongue:

Message Edited by Kedar Mohile on 04-08-2008 01:24 AM

alz's picture

Hi again.
I tried everything you said but it still did not work. Unfortunately I didn't have any more time for it so I installed it on a 2003 Server instead, it went without any problems. So I will leave this mystery unsolved. :smileyindifferent:

Thanks for all your help though. :smileyhappy: