Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Post SEP 12.1 client install on Win XP SP3, display is artifacting

Created: 17 Oct 2012 | 14 comments

I am in the process of upgrading my clients to 12.1 RU1 MP1. I have several users complaining about the video artifacting after SEP is upgraded to 12.1. This is most evident in Lotus Notes 8.5.1 when the user drags the message to a folder. It is alos occuring in Office 2007, SP3. Please check out the attachment. I have upgraded the video driver on 2 different PC's, but no change.

Comments 14 CommentsJump to latest comment

pete_4u2002's picture

does uninstalling SEP or disabling SEP helps to execute the commands as requireD?

.Brian's picture

What happens when you disable SEP?

Did this just start after upgrading?

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

GreggZ_CTNA's picture

The problem has started after eah user was upgraded to 12.1. These are the whiny ones that are coming out 1st, I suspect many others are having the same issues. I will try to disable the client and see what happens. Will need a day to get good results, I will be off tomorrow (Thursday Oct 18) so you may not hear any results until Friday. I do not want to uninstall, even for a test, unless it just makes sense.

.Brian's picture

What components do you have installed?

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

GreggZ_CTNA's picture

Disabling does not seem to resolve the issue. We have "Virus & Spyware", "Proactive Threat" and "Network Threat" installed on the end users PC's.

.Brian's picture

Is the Application and Device Control component included? Should be under PTP in add/remove programs. As a test trying removing it completely and see what the result is.

GreggZ_CTNA's picture

We are not yet using the Application and Device Control, but we do have plans to implement it in the near future.

.Brian's picture

Well in that case, I would remove all components except AV and see what that gets you. Than add PTP, than NTP. Should at least determine which component it is.

Mithun Sanghavi's picture

Hello,

I agree with Brian's comments.

To segregate the issue and to understand what is the feature which is causing this issue to occur - you may have to uninstalll NTP first, restart the machine and check if that resolves.

If the issue is still existing, you may uninstall the PTP and check again.

Later, try disabling the Tamper protection.

I would also recommend you to create a Case with Symantec Technical Support.

How to create a new case in MySupport

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH58873

Phone numbers to contact Tech Support:-

Regional Support Telephone Numbers:

• United States: 800-342-0652 (407-357-7600 from outside the United States)
  • Australia: 1300 365510 (+61 2 8220 7111 from outside Australia)
  • United Kingdom: +44 (0) 870 606 6000

Additional contact numbers: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/contact_techsupp_static.jsp

Hope that helps!!

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant
MIM | MCSA | MCTS | STS | SSE | SSE+ | ITIL v3

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

GreggZ_CTNA's picture

OK guys. I will uninstall NPT and PTP. What is the most efficient way to do that? I created a new group that does not include NPT or PTP and moved a computer to the new group, I was hoping it would uninstall the NTP and PTP but it did not. For now, I am uninstalling the client manually from a workstation and will add the workstation to the new group.

.Brian's picture

You would need to create a new package with these settings removed. See this thread:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-uninstall-ntp

Jason1222's picture

Removing the client manually is one way of doing it. 

The other way, is indicated above by Brian81.

I am failing to see how anything in SEP can be directly responsible for artifacts occuring on the machine. 

Do these machines have dedicated or shared video?  (On board vs PCI-/e/x/agp)

GreggZ_CTNA's picture

All of these PC's have shared video. I do have 1 machine that was not upgraded that is also experiencing the artifacting. I want to believe that SEP is not the cause. My network admin unleached a bunch of Windows updates around the same time I was upgrading SEP clients. Unfortunately, all the users know that I updated the SEP because I sent them a notice prior to doing any upgrades on their machine.

Jason1222's picture

Here is the logic behind my question.

Lotus notes can use up a lot of memory (system) depending on mail, open databases, etc.

Also, SEP can be a bit of a memory hog as well...  Add up all the used memory by SEP (background) and Lotus (foreground) that does not necessarily leave alot of memory for the graphics card. 

Include in that, if for example, you have Aero enabled (probably not because the graphics card memory is shared) but still a possibility in Windows...  And you can end up with Artificating.

Of course, there is the avenue of a Windows Update that updated the Graphics card.  You can check to see the date/version of the graphics card and either RollBack or try to install the latest OEM (manufacturer) driver.