Problem with backup exec jobs not starting
I have an ongoing issue with our backup exec version 2012. We are continually having issues whereby all jobs will not start. We have been having these issues since we purchased BE 2012 over 6 months ago! The error we recieve within backup exec is "no idle devices available". When we check our tape library, we find that all drives are available and ready to go. We can only get the backups to work after we restart the backup exec services or restart the tape library.
When we restart the services, we find that bengine.exe, and beremote.exe process time out on the restart, and have to be stopped using windows task manager. Once all services have been restarted, then backup jobs will start again.
There are no errors in the event or system logs to indicate that anything is wrong. Our system consists of the following:
- Backup Exec 2012 running within Windows 2008 R2.
- Tape library is a quantum scalar i80.
- We are currently using the microsoft drivers for the scalar tape library as the drivers from quantum are not compatible with backup exec. This is a known issue and the quantum site even recommends not using their driver for backup exec.
We have done the following to try and rectify this issue:
- Rebuilt our server and reinstalled backup exec 2012 twice now.
- Updated the quantum tape drive to latest firmware.
Please advise on what we can do.