Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Problem ghosting a HP Mini 5102

Migration User

Migration UserMar 26, 2010 01:44 PM

• 1.  Problem ghosting a HP Mini 5102

Posted Mar 15, 2010 01:19 PM
    Just received a shipment of HP Mini 5102s and I am having issues getting the machines to ghost. The come factory set to PXE boot. During the initial boot sequence (using a USB thumb drive set for PXE boot) they appear to get an IP address and do boot all the way into Ghost (we're still using 11.0.2 while waiting on our net admin to get the upgrade done). Once Ghost is up and running, usual scenario for us is to use UNICAST - which results in the following error:

Application error 19913
    Unable to start TCP/IP
    Can't find DHCP server
    Possible network setup problem

Standard contact information.

We use the exact same memory stick to setup all our other PXE bootable machines in the school with no issues. I have successfully ghosted countless machines using the exact same switch setup as the Mini's are being attached to. In fact, I successfully Ghosted two other machines just prior to attempting to Ghost the new Mini.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance. 

• 2.  RE: Problem ghosting a HP Mini 5102

Posted Mar 15, 2010 01:22 PM
    I've gone so far as to download the 'current' NDIS2 drivers from the Marvell site (which ironically doesn't even list this particular NIC). Trying to launch Ghost with the NDIS2 driver results in and 'Unable to bind' error during the initial boot and all options outside of Local being grayed out in Ghost itself. This error persists across multiple identical systems. 

• 3.  RE: Problem ghosting a HP Mini 5102

Posted Mar 15, 2010 03:30 PM
    Hello,

I would advise upgrading to the latest version of Ghost and using a Windows PE boot package instead of  a PC-DOS package. It's not unlikely that there is not a current NDIS2 driver for that card. If you have a support contract, it should be a free upgrade. If you are unable to do that, you can make a WinPE boot package with your current version and the Microsoft Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK). Here are intructions:

How to build a Windows PE [Vista] CD/DVD that contains Ghost32.exe and then join a client machine to a Ghost Cast Server session to create or restore an image file.
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/on-technology.nsf/docid/2007120608081560

Be forewarned that this is a tedious process, and upgrading to the new version is much more desirable, as the Ghost Boot Wizard will creat the boot package you need.

Thank you,

Randy

• 4.  RE: Problem ghosting a HP Mini 5102

Posted Mar 23, 2010 11:46 AM
    NClark - I can identify with you on this. I've got an HP 5102 mini just recieved and need to build/capture an image of it for deployment and can't do so because of the Application Error 19913 when launching Unicast.  However, I did find the NDIS2 driver on Marvell's support site this week.  Still get the error though.  Any other thoughts or updates?

• 5.  RE: Problem ghosting a HP Mini 5102

Posted Mar 23, 2010 02:48 PM
    Randall-We have the same problem with the hp 5102 that everyone else that has posted.  We have the latest version of ghost and have created a Windows PE boot package as instructed.  We no longer receive the 19913 error but we still do not get a dhcp address, we get the loop back address.  Is there any solution perhaps a new UNDI driver that includes this NIC?

• 6.  RE: Problem ghosting a HP Mini 5102

Posted Mar 26, 2010 12:51 PM

Same exact error.  I have over a hundred of these laptops and I can't image them with Ghost.   Help.....

• 7.  RE: Problem ghosting a HP Mini 5102

Posted Mar 26, 2010 01:44 PM
    What is the network card on those machines?

• 8.  RE: Problem ghosting a HP Mini 5102

Posted Mar 26, 2010 03:24 PM
    Same here (Both with Altiris and Ghost)
    Did KB 43222 for Altiris to get this far...

NIC is a Marvell Yukon 88E8059 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Would love ideas!
    =)

• 9.  RE: Problem ghosting a HP Mini 5102

Posted Mar 27, 2010 12:26 PM
    Try adding this Windows Vista driver to Windows PE:

http://extranet.marvell.com/drivers/driverDisplay.do?driverId=101

This should get it working.

Thank you,

Randy

• 10.  RE: Problem ghosting a HP Mini 5102

Posted Apr 09, 2010 12:45 PM
    1) Disable the onboard audio in the BIOS
    2) Download and use the latest NDIS2 driver from Marvell.

If you experience a stack overflow you may have to adjust the FIX= value in the protocol.ini to 1 or 3

• 11.  RE: Problem ghosting a HP Mini 5102

Posted Apr 12, 2010 12:40 PM
    RE: Disabling the on-board audio in the BIOS

Brilliant!  Well done GenEric, thanks!  It works!
    While not all smiles, I'd rather do this than switch to WinPE right now.

:)

• 12.  RE: Problem ghosting a HP Mini 5102

Posted Apr 14, 2010 07:41 PM
    We've been discussing the same on here...
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/pxe-booting-hp-mini-5102
    BUT
    now we're seeing intermittently imaging failures.
    STACK FAULT in RMCB at eip=14c5;flags=3002 eax=00680001 ebx=00001246...

so the fix is adjust the FIX= value in the protocol.ini to 1 or 3...I try it and let you know

• 13.  RE: Problem ghosting a HP Mini 5102

Posted Apr 25, 2010 01:07 PM
    I have run an integrity check of the ghost image and it checks fine. However, when i run the same backup in ghost explorer, I get the message 'Corruption in image file or media not present, not all files are shown.

Not to worried about that, am just wondering if I was to use this image to actually restore a system, would that system be fine once it was restored?

Normally, I can use Ghost explorer to load an image with no problems, but this particular machine shows the corruption message at about the .06% loading point.

Don't know if this is the right forum for this, but couldn't find anythi g else relating to this particular problem, so, tell me where to go if I need to go somewhere else.  Thanks

• 14.  RE: Problem ghosting a HP Mini 5102

Posted Apr 26, 2010 01:56 PM
    yup, that got it. had to build a new boot image with the marvel driver and used the fix=3 switch.

• 15.  RE: Problem ghosting a HP Mini 5102

Posted Apr 26, 2010 01:59 PM
    Update:
    We currently have an open case with HP.  As of 04/20/10 they were able to reproduce the problem with and are working on a BIOS update for the 5102.
    Keep your fingers crossed.

• 16.  RE: Problem ghosting a HP Mini 5102

Posted May 06, 2010 02:07 PM

We went around and around with this... the things that WORKED for us were changing to IDE and turning off audio in the BIOS.  However, the Marvell Yukon driver would not bind, so we used the Universal Driver and everything WORKED! Phew!

• 17.  RE: Problem ghosting a HP Mini 5102

Posted May 20, 2010 01:55 PM

Update:
    I received the 3.32 (beta) BIOS from HP this morning for the Mini 5102.
    All ghostcast tests so far with this BIOS have worked perfectly (PXE and DOS.)  The audio workaround is no longer required.

I would guess this BIOS may be released to the web in a week or so.

• 18.  RE: Problem ghosting a HP Mini 5102

Posted Aug 11, 2010 10:06 AM
    I was able to ghost an HP Probook 6455b laptop by doing the following:

1. Downloading and installing the NIC drivers from the Manufacture Website.
    2. Download the NDIS2 driver from the Marvell Website (its called "Microsoft NDIS2").
    3. Creating a new ghost cd using the "Network Boot Option" and adding the NDIS2. Note: In Ghost, you have to add the package by pointing to the NDIS2 folder, then you will automatically get the parameter information filled out.
    4. I changed the parameter of "FIX" to 3
    5. created an ISO and ran the CD

Note: I did not have to disable Audio or change the drive to IDE. GenEric had the solution, I just tweaked it. :)

Joe

• 19.  RE: Problem ghosting a HP Mini 5102

Posted Sep 10, 2010 09:15 AM
    I added the switched -noide to Ghost.exe and I was able to ghost the laptop without it crashing.