Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

• 1.  Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

Posted Feb 13, 2012 05:08 AM

Hello!

I am currently using SEP 12.1.671.4971 SBE and I want to migrate it to v12.1.1000 (RU1). The problem is that, when I try to install the new version, I get an error that says "You are not allowed to downgrade from Enterprise Edition to Small Business Edition" ??? and the installation process stops. For the upgrade I followed the steps from the tutorial on the site about migrating to the 12.1 RU1 version (database backup, SEPM service stopped). The operating system used is Windows Server 2008 SP2.

Any ideas?

• 2.  RE: Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 13, 2012 06:48 AM

Hi,

There are two SEP products.

1) Enterprise Edition (EE)

2) Small Business Edition (SBE)

You can do upgrade from Small Business Edition to Enterprise Edition

You can't upgrade from Enterprise Edition to Small Business Edition, it's a downgrade.

As per warning, I believe you are using Enterprise Edition not SBE

By mistake you might have downloaded SBE 12.1 RU1 version.

Download correct version at https://fileconnect.symantec.com/.

Upgrade should move flawlessly.

Could you please attach screen-shot for HOME tab ?

• 3.  RE: Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

Posted Feb 13, 2012 06:55 AM

Agreed. These are 2 different products. But you should have access to only one when you log-in to your fileconnect site, either SMB or Enterprise edition. Check the site again and try to install the same product's upgrade.

• 4.  RE: Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

Posted Feb 13, 2012 07:25 AM
      |   view attached

I attached a print screen where you can see the current version installed on the server. This version, as the new one I am trying to install (RU1), was downloaded from FileConnect, where I can download only the SEP version I payed for (SBE). With the current version (12.1.671.4971) I had no problems during the upgrade process from v12.0.

• 5.  RE: Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 13, 2012 07:36 AM

Hi,

Thanks for an update.

Could you please attach screenshot for fileconnect product download options ? Also please try to attach warning message screenshot.

• 6.  RE: Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

Posted Feb 13, 2012 08:50 AM

I attached the requested screenshots. The version of SEP I downloaded from FileConnect is the International English one. To obtain a screenshot of the error message, since I didn't capture it the first time, I tried another installation of SEP 12.1 RU1, unfortunately with the same result.

• 7.  RE: Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 13, 2012 09:50 AM

Hi,

Apologies for asking many questions but it's helpful to me.

It was fresh install or upgrade ?

You had used same Serial number to download SEP 12.1 SBE ? or you used Installation CD's ?

If you are using serial number fist time it suspect to license serial number issue.

If you have used same serial number previously then it might be something new.

• 8.  RE: Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

Posted Feb 14, 2012 01:07 AM

Hi,

The install from which I attached the error screenshot was from a try to upgrade the 12.1.671.4971 I am currently running.

The history of the versions I used i like this:

1. I installed the version 12.0, with the serial number I purchased;

2. After a few months I received an e-mail from support where I was noticed that version 12.1 was available and they gave me a new serial number to use for the download from FileConnect. I downloaded the new version and I upgraded to it without problems, but I didn't use the new serial number since everything was ok.

3. Version 12.1 RU1 was released, so I downloaded it using the same serial number I used to download 12.1 (the new unused one) and I tried to upgrade, but with the problems mentioned here. The whole time, the only serial I used with the application is the one I purchased originally.

Do you think I should change the serial number to the new one and then try to upgrade? The user database or the server will be affected by the change?

The new serial number meets the same licensing requirements as the old one (number of clients, license period, etc), since I received it during the contractual period?

Thanks!

• 9.  RE: Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 14, 2012 04:45 AM

Hi,

Download SBE 12.1 RU1 by using new serial number & check.

The user database or the server will not be affected by the change.

Let me know if you faced any issue.

• 10.  RE: Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

Posted Feb 14, 2012 05:12 AM

Dear mn,

As seen the screen shot attached by you. Found that you have installed the SEP 12 enterprise edition and now you are going to install sep 12.1 SBE, its not upgrade its downgrade and its not possible.

Please attache the screen shot of your old sepm version.

• 11.  RE: Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

Posted Feb 14, 2012 05:52 AM

Hi,

As I was saying in the previous post, versions 12.1 and 12.1 RU1 were downloaded from FileConnect using the new serial number provided.

Upgrade from 12.0 to 12.1 worked very well, without problems.

Upgrade from 12.1 to 12.1 RU1 revealed the problems I've mentioned.

PS: For pkyadav: If the original version (12.0) was the Enterprise Edition (as you say), why there were no problems during the first upgrade (to 12.1)?

• 12.  RE: Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

Posted Feb 15, 2012 06:00 AM

Hi,

No more options to solve my problem?

Is it possible to completely uninstall v12.1 from the server and perform a fresh installation for v12.1 RU1, without affecting the clients? I also don't want clients to auto-install the new version - for that i checked the option from the group properties - or to auto-restart after I install the new server version.

Thanks! 

• 13.  RE: Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 15, 2012 06:23 AM

Hi,

You have two options

1) Call Support to check more details in depth.

or 

2) Follow disaster recovery by installing fresh SEP 12.1 RU1

My first recommendation would be to call support and verify root cause of the issue.

You will have to call support or log a case on web portal for same

QuickStart Guide - Create and Manage Support Cases in SymWISE

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO31132

How to update a support case and upload diagnostic files with MySupport

Or you can call Support

Regional Support Telephone Numbers:
    United States: https://support.broadcom.com (407-357-7600 from outside the United States)
    Australia: 1300 365510 (+61 2 8220 7111 from outside Australia)
    United Kingdom: +44 (0) 870 606 6000
    Additional contact numbers: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/contact_techsupp_static.jsp

Customer Care Assistance

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/assistance_care.jsp

• 14.  RE: Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

Posted Feb 15, 2012 03:51 PM

I got version 11 based on my serial number.  I got version 12 based on my serial number.  I go to install 12 and its says i can't download from enterprise edition to sbe.  Calling tech support now.  How did I get the wrong version for 11? And what can I do now? Don't want to do fresh install and lose all my configuration.

• 15.  RE: Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

Posted Feb 16, 2012 08:52 AM

I explained that i have always been on SBE.  Some how last year file connect (which determines what you can download based on serial number) must have provided me with enterprise edition (EE).  Not any fault of mine.  Licensing rep said he will give me new SBE serial number.  I asked what good that does. 90 minutes on the phone and he won't admit its a symantec problem.  Finally got his supervisor.  All she would say is i have to call my reseller and upgrade to EE.  I told her their system gave me EE when I downloaded version 11.  Eventually they put me on hold, hung up on me, and closed the case with the comment customer wants EE.  No I don't WANT EE I NEED EE now.  Don't really want to uninstall everything.  Probably spend $500 on upgrade licenses as my time is worth more than that.  So I guess Symantec wins - for now.  Virtualizing and I will move away from backup exec and endpoint.  Good support on the tech side, horrible on licensing side.  BTW 4 of my licenses are also missing from the portal.

• 16.  RE: Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

Posted Feb 17, 2012 01:36 AM

Maybe it's better not to perform the upgrade now and wait for the next version which, hopefully, will solve this problem.

That's what I will do.

• 17.  RE: Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 17, 2012 06:02 AM

Hi mm_connect,

There won't be any harm to check with Support team & Support might involve License team also to check available options.

• 18.  RE: Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

Posted Feb 17, 2012 08:28 AM

I ended up upgrading to Enterprise Edition licensing (now called Standard).  I will see how the actual upgrade goes today.

• 19.  RE: Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

Posted Feb 17, 2012 08:30 AM

Hi Chetan.  Henry from tech support was great.  However Joe (and his supervisor) from licensing was dreadful to deal with.  They just kept trying to give me new SBE serial numbers.  They would not acknowledge that:

a - the serial number controls what you can download from file connect

b - somehow file connect had a problem which gave me v11 Enterprise last year

c - this problem now prevents me and others from going to v12 SBE without uninstalling and starting from scratch

They eventually hung up on me and closed the case.

• 20.  RE: Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 17, 2012 09:38 AM

Hi Greg B,

I do apologies on behalf of license department.

As I said earlier You can't upgrade from Enterprise Edition to Small Business Edition, it's a downgrade.

I am not blaming you but if you had entitled for SBE you should have an idea about SEP license compliance.

Small Business Edition (12.0 ) is software license product while Enterprise Edition (11.x only) is paper license product.

You should have called back license department / reseller at that point only (At the time of first install).

However I would suggest to stick with EE because it has more features, hardware support compare to SBE. But Yes, it may be costlier than SBE.

• 21.  RE: Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

Posted Jul 05, 2012 09:06 AM

hey folks.

Well, I've got the same problems with upgrading a real SEP 12.x SBE.

1. We bought a 45 lic. SEP 12.1.671.4971 SBE in Sept. 2011.
    2. I wanted to update the old server (Win 2003) with SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE.
      Message: You can't downgrade an enterprise edition..... OK???
    3. So I canceled the update, because of the new servers comming on later.
    4. Jan. 2012: I installed a fresh SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE on the new server (Win 2008 R2).
      Works OK like the "old" version on the old server. (I forgot: It's deinstalled now!)
    5. Now I wanted to update the new server to SEP 12.1 RU1 MP1 SBE.
      Message: You can't downgrade an enterprise edition..... AHA?!

Now forget about to ask for any sreenshots because I know what I'm working with and all my downloads come directly from "file connect". I also checked the newest upgrade advices from Symantec.

Honestly: If this won't fit, I will look out for another Endpoint Protection Software till September.

So, what can I do now except killing the whole thing and reinstall?

• 22.  RE: Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jul 05, 2012 10:09 AM

Hello,

It clearly indicates 2 things here..

1) You have installed Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) version 12.1 Enterprise Edition (EE) on the server which could not be downgraded to Small Business Edition.

2) What you are downloading from the Fileconnect is SEP Small Business Edition (SBE) 12.1.

What I am understanding is there is a difference between the product installed and product being downloaded from Fileconnect.

So, Incase if you have purchased SEP Small Business Edition (SBE) 12.1, you would have to Uninstall the Installed version which stands to be Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) version 12.1 EE.

Check the Difference between SEP SBE 12.1 and SEP EE 12.1 - 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/feature-comparison-between-sep-121-sbe-and-ee

Understanding which SEP are you running is simple - 

Check the Login Screen -

1) SEP 12.1 SBE shows

2) SEP 12.1 EE shows

Hope that helps!!

• 23.  RE: Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

Posted Jul 10, 2012 02:27 AM

Again: really helpful. Isn't there anyone to have another answer? No?

Ok, one black spot more on my check- list.....

• 24.  RE: Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 10, 2012 03:02 AM

Hi,

Go through following article.

SEPM 12.1 RU1 Small Business Edition won't upgrade to 12.1.1 MP1 saying you are not allowed to downgrade from Enterprise Edition.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH189041

• 25.  RE: Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

Posted Jul 10, 2012 03:29 AM

It clearly indicates that you didn't read my post carefully! But you're right: Understanding which SEP is running is very simple. So:

WE DON'T HAVE THE "EE", WE NEVER DID! I INSTALLED "SBE" FROM THE BEGINNING!

Do you believe that I am that mad to install two times the enterprise edition instead of the SBE??? (once on the old and then on the new server) or do you force me to post a printscreen anyway? ;-)

(Error correction,original post from 5.7.12)

• 26.  RE: Problem migrating to SEP 12.1 RU1 SBE

Posted Jul 10, 2012 03:52 AM

Well, that's an answer! It works! I dind't find this article during my reserach.

Thank you! :-)))