Video Screencast Help

Problem - Symantec AntiVirus 10.1 LiveUpdate disabled

Created: 05 Mar 2010 • Updated: 21 May 2010 | 5 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hello,
we use Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.1 on our Clients. The clients get their Updates from an Symantec AntiVirus Server in our network.
If a user is out of the office the client can not update from our Symantec AV Server. So, they should use LiveUpdate. But if the users open the Symantec
AntiVirus program the Button for "Live Update" is disabled (grey). The user can not start an "Live Update" manually.
Only if i give the users more privileges (PowerUsers) they can launch "Live Update". Normally our users are only normal users - no administrators - no
power users. Can i change the permissions of the file system / registry so also an normal user can start "Live Update"?
Which registry changes / file system changes i have to set (permissions)?

Can somebody help me?
Thanks.

regards

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

Vikram Kumar-SAV to SEP's picture

Create a Group for these mobile clients move them to that group.
then on the group

Right-click the client group.

Uncheck Inherit settings from Server Group.

Right-click the client group, and then select All Tasks > Symantec AntiVirus > Virus Definition Manager.

In the Virus Definition Manager dialog box,Check Schedule client for automatic updates using LiveUpdate, click Schedule, specify a schedule, and then click OK.

For registry this is the key responsible for it

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Intel\LANDesk\VirusProtect6\CurrentVersion\PatternManager

http://www.simplepctalk.com/2007/12/liveupdate-locked-cant-update-symantec-antivirus/

Vikram Kumar

Symantec Consultant

The most helpful part of entire Symantec connect is the Search button..do use it.

Kai Schumacher's picture

Thanks for your answer - the problem still exists.

The policy is set to "Do not allow client to manually launch LiveUpdate" unchecked. The Registrykey is also set correct to 0 (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Intel\LANDesk\VirusProtect6\CurrentVersion\PatternManager\LockUpdatePattern value 0).

The problem is that a normal domain user has no permissions to start LiveUpdate manually. I do not want to configure all the notebook clients to start LiveUpdate every day - because it is to much network traffic.
And i have found no way to give a domain user the rights to lunch LiveUpdate - has somebody an idea?

regards

jhay6600@yahoo.com's picture

You can possible create a policy in which SEP liveupdate will automatically connect to internet. I will get back to you as soon I got back to office. We create a separate policy when Workstation is in or out your environment or network.

Kai Schumacher's picture

@jhay6600@yahoo.com
Thanks, but this is here not possible because we have to use Symantec AntiVirus 10.1.x and you use Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.

@Rafeeq
Thanks, this way it works.

regards
Kai Schumacher