Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Problems with Excel 2007 saving files in shares, file locked by user

Posted Jan 07, 2011 09:39 AM

I want to know if anybody else is having problems with SEP 11.0.6200.754 (RU6 MP2) version on Vista SP2 32-bit clients with MS Excel 2007. Before that with RU6 MP1 and Ru6a or similar versions there was a problem while editing excel files in windows shares, Excel was locking up. I have tested the latest SEP version for a week and haven't noticed same issue, but know, after i have deployed this version some users are complaining. This time it is a bit different problem. Excel is not hanging, but says that the document is locked by the same user who is trying to save that document. The only way to fix that is to restart that client. It also creates some tmp files with similar size like that document and user can't delete them (i delete them from a server myself). Usually users are able to edit and save document for some time and this issue appears after a while.

Looks like we will stick with RU5 forever..

• 2.  RE: Problems with Excel 2007 saving files in shares, file locked by user

Posted Jan 07, 2011 10:37 AM

I think this issue should be brought up to the Support team. Please open a case with Symantec Support ASAP, so that we can get engineering involved.

Online Portal - https://mysupport.symantec.com/

Phone - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/contact_techsupp_static.jsp

• 3.  RE: Problems with Excel 2007 saving files in shares, file locked by user

Posted Jan 07, 2011 11:09 AM

Is this a Vista to Windows Server 2008 share?  Wonder if it is related to this:

File copies over SMB2 fail with Network Threat Protection installed/enabled
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH139768

sandra

• 4.  RE: Problems with Excel 2007 saving files in shares, file locked by user

Posted Jan 07, 2011 12:28 PM

I have a Windows 7 endpoint with 11.0.6200.754  and Office 2010. Certain Excel files on Server 2003 network shares display this error

“Unexpected file lock by (username). You can override this file lock, or continue without doing so. If you continue without overriding this lock, you will not be able to save the file, but you can use File Save As to save your work to a different file. Do you want to override this lock?”

Additionally we use folder redirection and a few files are locked specifically iTunes releated files in the same users My Documents folder.

• 5.  RE: Problems with Excel 2007 saving files in shares, file locked by user

Posted Jan 11, 2011 09:23 AM

I have created a GPO policy with a cmd script disabling smb2 for Vista clients. So far it seems that freezes are gone. But this is a workaround. Waiting for a fix.

• 6.  RE: Problems with Excel 2007 saving files in shares, file locked by user

Posted Jan 11, 2011 10:47 AM

From what I can tell, there is a fix related to SMB2 upcoming, but I have no firm ETA, and of course this is subject to change.  (I'm sorry I am not able to be more specific, but the issue will be addressed.)

sandra