Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Problems with NIC in HP DC5800

Posted Mar 12, 2010 03:16 PM
    I should preface this by saying that I am fairly new to applications like ghost that run through a network with a single management console. I am working to fix that, and have recently installed Ghost Solutions Suite on one of my servers. I've been going through my inventory and taking images of the common machines in my workplace so I can readily push out an image to anyone in a hurry. So far I've worked with 3 different machines successfully (a Dell Latitude D520, Dell Latitude D820, and an HP dc7700) I'm currently trying to push an image out to an HP dc5800 so I can configure it specifically for that machine, and then take an image of it to push out to other dc5800s.

I seem to be having problems with the NIC drivers for the dc5800 though. This is something that surprises me, because I've had absolutely no problems with the dc7700 which uses the same Intel Pro Gigabit card (82566dm) I've read up on some older web articles and forum posts about people having trouble with this card due to it being unsupported by the UNDI and Universal NDIS driver. However, those were fairly old, and I'd expect the UNDI driver to support this NIC by now.

What is happening:

Whether I boot up using a boot disk or with a Remot Client Task, I am able to boot and load the WinPE just fine. However, it never seems to be able to communicate on the network. The console will show the computer as Disconnected, and the PreOS will simply sit there repeating "Polling for boud server XXXXXXXXXX"  over and over.
    When I boot with the disk and try to connect to a session, it will fail every time and tell me to check and make sure I've the the Ghost Cast Server up and ready to accept Clients (and I do)

I have noticed that I can ping localhost (127.0.0.1) but nothing else, including our gateway or name servers. Ipconfig shows nothing as being connected.

Some of things things I've tried:

1. In a similar situation a Symantec tech rep suggest adding "sleep 8" to the file in the Ghost WIzard Boot Review in order to give the computer enough time to grab an address from DHCP before it attempts to start the rest of the imaging process. This did not have an effect on the machine for me.

2. Several people suggested DOS drivers to download and use in the Deploy Anywhere Drivera Database. I've downloaded them, but cant seem to import DOS drivers (only Win2000, to Server 2008) I seem to be missing something. (Loading DOS drivers would make sense because it is WinPE that needs them, and the XP will use whatever drivers are in the image) because I am unable to find a place where DOS driver seem to go (Unless there is a way to import them into the Deploy Anywhere Driver Database).

This is bothering the heck out of me because I cant get it done, and to make things worse the dc5800 is my most prevelant machine with 75 of them on campus. Any help or suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to even read my message. If there is something I've missed or more information that I need to post let me know and i will.

Joseph.

• 2.  RE: Problems with NIC in HP DC5800
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 12, 2010 05:03 PM
     Hi there!

What you need for WIndows PE is WIndows Vista 32bit drivers, not DOS drivers. The Windows PE boot environment is based on the Vista code. Here are instructions for adding those drivers:

How to add drivers to DeployAnywhere or WinPE.
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/on-technology.nsf/docid/2008050916132860

Here is a link to that Intel driver:
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18718

The filename is ProWin32.exe and needs to be extracted with a third-party ZIP utility, like WinZIP, 7ZIp, WinRAR, etc. Despite being an *.EXE file, it extracts like a ZIP since it is a self-installing archive. You will just need to go to File > Open (or Open Archive) from mthe respective utility.

Good luck!

Thank you,

Randy

• 3.  RE: Problems with NIC in HP DC5800

Posted Mar 15, 2010 03:05 PM
    Randy, thank you for your quick repsonse!

I ran through what you suggested, and at first it seemed fruitless. Then, bumbling around a still unfamiliar program I noticed the remote client configuration. It was still listed as Win-PE. I switched that to the PreOS I put together with the drivers you suggested, and its now working! This is great, because it means I can move on, and now properly manage our 75 new machines with Symantec Ghost. Thanks again!

Joseph.

• 4.  RE: Problems with NIC in HP DC5800

Posted Mar 15, 2010 03:23 PM
     Excellent! I'm glad that worked for you!

Thank you,

Randy