Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Problems with Symantec AV 10.1 on Windows x64 - Update process only all 7 days

• 1.  Problems with Symantec AV 10.1 on Windows x64 - Update process only all 7 days

Posted Nov 24, 2009 02:51 AM
    Hello,
    i have an problem with Symantec AntiVirus 10.1 on Windows x64 - Updates for Symantec AntiVirus.
    Here some details: the windows x64 client has an parent Symantec Server on Windows Server 2003 x32. The last weeks the client
    gets the updates from the parent server every day. Since one week the client updates only one time each week.
    I can not find something on the eventlog, it seams all normally.
    No, i have not changed the configuration.
    I am not sure if this information is important but on the x64 clients i found three Symantec directorys. The first one is a subdirectory of
    "Program Files" and the second one is a subdirectory of "Program Files <x86>".
    C$\program files\Symantec - here are three files: *.cat, *.inf and *.sys
    C$\program files <x86>\Symantec AntiVirus - here is the complete Symantec AV installation.
    C$\program files <x86>\Symantec - here is an subdirectory called LiveUpdate, in this one are some files.

Has anybody an idea why the client starts an update every day in the past and the last days only one time a week. I have seen that the
    Client Updates only one time a week - between the "Update Days" are accurately seven days.

regards
    Kai S.

• 2.  RE: Problems with Symantec AV 10.1 on Windows x64 - Update process only all 7 days
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 24, 2009 04:34 AM
     A 64 bit SAV client cannot take definitions from SAV Server it has to take it from the internet. 64 bit systems are only partially managed.
    Make sure the group in which you have the 64 bit clients is set up to update everyday.

Read this symantec article for more information

Managing 64-bit clients with Symantec System Center

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2006010609164848

• 3.  RE: Problems with Symantec AV 10.1 on Windows x64 - Update process only all 7 days

Posted Nov 26, 2009 09:34 AM
    Hello,
    thanks for your answer.

regards
    Kai Schumacher