Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Problems with Synology DS107 NAS as target for Backup-to-Disk

Created: 26 Sep 2009 • Updated: 21 May 2010 | 3 comments

I have a Windows 2003 Small Business Server with Backup Exec 9.1 (Rev 469) installed.

The original company that installed the server had the target of the backup aimed at the same internal disk that was being used for the Operating System!!  Not such a good idea as this caused the internal disks to become 100% full!!  We installed a Synology DS107 NAS with 500Gb of network storage.

The NAS has been attached to the domain and is called "diskstation".

There are 3 shares on it; backup-01,backup-02 and backup-03.

Until recently the backup has worked ok - for the last 3 weeks it has regularly failed.

The NAS has the latest firmware installed.  The admin account on the W2K3 server has read/write access to all 3 shares.  I found the following in the event log;

An error occurred while processing a B2D command.
 Drive: Write() WriteFile failed (\\Diskstation\Backup-02\B2D000664.bkf).  Error=64

Storage device "Backup-02" reported an error on a request to write data to media.

Error reported:
The specified network name is no longer available.

Drive: OpenPosMTF() CreateFile failed (\\Diskstation\Backup-02\B2D000664.bkf).  Error=64

Changer: LockAndRefreshChangerConfig() Unable to Lock Changer.cfg (\\Diskstation\Backup-02\Changer.cfg).  Error=64

Backup Exec Alert: Media Error
(Server: "BEAT-SBS-SERVER") The Backup-to-Disk device is offline.

This is typically caused by the folder becoming inaccessible due to it being deleted, renamed, or unshared. It may also be caused by a disk full condition. The folder state has been set to offline. Please attend to this condition. Additional detail may be found in the Event Viewer - Application Log.

Changer: CreatePath() CreateDirectory1 failed (\\Diskstation\Backup-02\).  Error=64

Drive: OpenPosMTF() CreateFile failed (\\Diskstation\Backup-02\B2D000664.bkf).  Error=64

Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "BEAT-SBS-SERVER") (Job: "Backup SystemState Windows and system volume info to e") Backup SystemState Windows and system volume info to e -- The job failed with the following error: The specified network name is no longer available.

When the error occurs, the shared drive is still available to windows.

One final thought - I notices the local time on the NAS had drifted - I have now synced it to NTP.

Any help with resolvoing these problems would be appreciated.

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

BEsymc's picture

I would suggest updating the NIC drivers on the media server to start with. Also, i hope you have tried with a fresh backup to disk folder on the NAS?

Thanks

mstechassociates's picture

I have created a new file system on the NAS and checked that the NIC has the latest drivers - still fails.  Windows still seeing the file system OK?

When the NAS goes offline (according to Backup Exec) I have to restart the Backup Exec Device & Media Service to allow Backup Exec to access the NAS file system.

So what next?

AdamYMCA's picture

Using a simple Buffalo NAS.  I have seperate folders for each day of the week.  Any hiccup causes them all to go offline, and backups fail.  Besides restarting the service, I've found that you can also get the folders back on line by going into properties> pausing the device> apply> unpause the device> apply.

I'm trying to get approval to upgade to the latest version, I'm hoping this won't be an issue there.