Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Problems when writing backup to tape

Created: 08 Jun 2012 | 8 comments

I've just installed a new server, with Backup Exec 2012 Small Busines Edition.

When backing up to disk, I have no problems. But when it tries to write to tape, it runs for 2-10 minutes, then stops with the following error:

Job Completion Status
Job ended: 8. juni 2012 at 17:20:32
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084f4 - An unknown error has occurred.
Final error category: System Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34036

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Backup- \\SRV01.daugbjerg.local\E:
Storage device "Tape drive 0001" reported an error on a request to write data to media. Error reported: A device attached to the system is not functioning. V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred. 

I've read through those links, and find nothing that helps.

The tape drive is a HP StorageWorks Ultrium 920 (LTO3), which was moved from the old server.
It runs on a new tape
The drive have just been cleaned
I've run HP Library and Tape Tools, testet the drive and found no errors

I can't figure out what is wrong.
 

Cheers

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

rsolin's picture

After reviewing your notes and the associated error code I found the following article.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH154620

Please let me know if this helps in any way.

Sush...'s picture

Ensure that Symantec drivers are installed for the tape drive. You will be able to confirm this in the Device Manager of windows.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

niclar's picture

Sorry about the time it took to get back to you.

The drive is using Symantec drivers.

And i can not test the other solution the next 3-4 hours, as there's running a scheduled full backup (to disc :) )
As soon as the backup has finished, I will test rsolin's suggestion, and come back with the results.

Cheers

niclar's picture

It seems to be working with the solution from rsolin - First test was succesfull. The same test that made the error above.

Tomorrow I'll start testing full scale backup jobs, but I expect it to work. -Haven't had the most simple job complete before.

Rsolin > How did you find that article? I have been searching for a solution for quite a while, have found numerous not working, but never seen the one you found :)

Thanks

niclar's picture

I rebootet the server and the error is back ?!?
Tried to disable and remove the tape drive again, but with no success this time.

rsolin's picture

A few questions...

1.  Have you double checked the cables on the drive?

2.  Do you have the HP Server Management Agents Software installed?

Carlos_Quiroga's picture

To rule out any problems with the device outside of Backup Exec.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html

Regards,

Biker_Dude's picture

Was the tape drive working fine on the old server?

Did problems start with the drive when attached to the new server?

Is this a SCSI or SAS tape drive?

Assuming the drive is SCSI...try the following suggestions:

Check if a SCSI terminator was attached to one of the connectors on the back of the drive.  The HP stand alone tape drives are self terminating.  I have seen this cause some strange problems.  If one was inadvertently installed, then power off the drive, remove it, and turn the drive back on.  When the drive is turned on, you should see the self-terminating LED illuminate.  Again, this assuming the drive is SCSI and a terminator was inadvertently attached to the drive when it was moved over from the other server.

Ensure the drive is not connected to a non-supported RAID controller.  Here's the list of supported RAID controllers BE supports: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70907

***Anything not on this list is not supported.

If the tape drive is attached to a non-RAID controller and it is the only device attached...then try resetting the card's BIOS to the default settings.  This usually requires a reboot of the server and a keyboard sequence (i.e. Ctrl-A) during the server's POST (power-on-self-test).