Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Procedure to back up Multiple Servers to multiple tape drives in BE2012

Created: 11 Oct 2013 | 2 comments

I have a site that needs to back up two different servers to two LTO-3 tape drives connected to the main server.  I used to just select one drive to back up one server and the other drive to back up the other server, but, now the amount of data on the second server is more than one tape can hold.  I would like to know the procedure for creating a tape device pool and having both jobs use it so two tapes are utilized to back up the total data on both servers.  I have read bits and pieces from different posts, but, heve never seen this exact scenario.  I need to know how to make the second job wait until the first is done before appending to the first tape until it is full, then continuing to run on the second tape until complete, then eject both tapes.  So far all my attempts have failed.

Operating Systems:

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

What you are trying to do is not possible.  Cascading device pool was dropped since BE 2010, so when your first tape is full, there is no way to make the job write to the tape in the second tape drive.  The easiest way to solve your problem is to get a tape library.  You would only need 1 tape drive in your library.