Video Screencast Help

Purgatory - Opening DVS files in Office 2010 Environment

Created: 05 Mar 2013 • Updated: 01 Apr 2013 | 3 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

We are pushing forward with a Windows 7/Office 2010 pilot.  But the problem that I have is that I am not in a supported EV environment yet.  In other words, we are still at EV 7.5 on the backend and 8.0 on the client side.

Without the EV client installed in a Windows 7/Office 2010 desktop, I can open email archives using Archive Explorer (http://host/EnterpriseVault/ArchiveExplorerUI.asp) since the files open using MSG as the file format.

But when attempting to open email archives using Archive Search (http://host/enterprisevault/searcho2k.asp), the email archives don't open since the archives are defaulting to DVS, and I don't have the EV client installed to convert the DVS files to MSG.

1 - Is there a way to configure Archive Search to open email messages in MSG format instead of DVS?

2 - Can I install EV client v9 SP1 or above and disable the backend checking so I can at least open the DVS files?

3 - Ideas that I haven't thought of while I am in purgatory? 

Thanks

Ron

Operating Systems:

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

Advisor's picture

I believe there is setting which you can configure in webapp.ini on EV Server...

AndrewB's picture

i would go ahead and install the EV client. KISS, right? :-)

Andy Becker | Authorized Symantec Consultant | Trace3 | Symantec National Partner | www.trace3.com

JesusWept3's picture

Agreed, not supported doesn't mean it won't work, just means it hasn't been QA'd and not guaranteed to work and any issues you face can't be helped by support until you are in a supported configuration

So i'd go ahead, like andrew said and install the EV9 SP3 client
You won't get any benefit of things like Virtual Vault and Vault Cache and Offline Vault won't work
You may find the Integrated Search button in Outlook won't work because there was a specific path that was released for EV9 to cover that, so you may want to remove that button.

What you need to avoid though is the all-in-one clients that require a path to communicate with Enterprise Vault, because it just won't work

SOLUTION