Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Quantum DXi6701 with IBM 3575-TL

Created: 21 Jun 2013 • Updated: 26 Jun 2013 | 6 comments
bJako's picture
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I have one BE 2012 server and target is Quantum OST storage DXi6701.

I use OST backup and have multiple LSU-s. Backup goes over IP network. No SAN connections beween BE media server, sources and target. All IP.

Now I connected IMB tape library  3575-TL directly to Quantum storage (using FC) and I see it on PTT tab and it's enabled.

How can I use it in BE? I would like to add "copy to tape" to my backup jobs.

Or I can create new job - copy full LSU to tapes. But how? BE does not show me tape drive,.

Quantum help:

The PTT page allows you to configure the path to tape (PTT) feature of the DXi6000. There are two types of path to tape:

• Backup application specific path to tape allows you to move data from the DXi to physical tape cartridges in an attached physical tape library using an NDMP (Network Data Management Protocol) connection. The DXi supports NDMP V4.

OST path to tape (also called Direct To Tape) allows you to use Symantec NetBackup to copy LSUs from a storage server on the DXi to a physical tape library.

So I have to use NDMP? How?

Operating Systems:

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

Jaydeep S's picture

Backup Exec can only use/configure a Tape Library that is physically connected to the Media Server. The only exception to this is NDMP. This video should help is how to set it up. Also, this document should help.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH48957

SOLUTION
teiva-boy's picture

Both HP and Quantum are unique that they allow a tape unit connected directly to their storage and can move data to tape.  WITHOUT the backup server in the data path.

This functionality is often too advanced for Symantec support to understand, thus you are better off asking Quantum (Or HP if you got it) for assistance.  They may have a document outlining the integration and what is needed.

The last customer I ran into with a DXi, they log into the DXI interface to manage the copies, and initiate from there.

There is an online portal, save yourself the long hold times. Create ticket online, then call in with ticket # in hand :-) http://mysupport.symantec.com "We backup data to restore, we don't backup data just to back it up."

teiva-boy's picture

I just took a look at some documentation for the DXi.  You should be able to just do a duplicate job from the OST device to tape.  BackupExec would then instruct the DXi to duplicate the disk object to tape via NDMP commands.

What isn't clear is if you needed to liccense NDMP as the tape library appears to BE as such.  I guess if it doesn't work, you can always enable it on a temp basis for 30days and see if it's needed or not.

There is an online portal, save yourself the long hold times. Create ticket online, then call in with ticket # in hand :-) http://mysupport.symantec.com "We backup data to restore, we don't backup data just to back it up."

bJako's picture

I added DXi as NDMP storage and now I see Robotic Library with two drive and I can duplicate to tape.

But I also see license error: Linux Media Server Option License Violation.

The evaluation period for the Linux Media Server Option has expired.  You must purchase the Linux Media Server Option or disable its devices. Please refer to product documentation for more information.

So I think I need additional license: Remote Media Agent for Linux?

And not a NDMP license?
teiva-boy's picture

I would just uninstall the remote media agent for linux if you are not backing up any linux hosts.  This would be where you add/remove licenses.  Just remove that one.  Message gone.

bJako's picture

Remote media agent for Linux is not for backing up linux hosts (from linux source). For that I have Remote Agent for Linux licenses.

Remote media agent for Linux is for backing up TO linux host connected tape drive (target).

My tape drive is connected to Quantum witch is Linux. 

But problem is that I can add now stage Duplicate to Tape (first stap is backup to Quantum) - but traffic goes trough BE mediaserver, not directly from Quantum to tape.